Cann the Man

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

6ftPython

Reaction score
Evening all.

Today for the 1st time, i went down to La Peruse and saw the "Snake man" i feel ashamed to call myself a herper, being that i have been in Sydney two years and havn't seen the show.

John Cann was awesome, he started his show by showing some of his lizzards, he had shingle backs, bearded's and water dragons.

Then he went on to passing around his carpet python, (bout 5ft) which was truly the most placid thing ever. very good looking also. Then he got a little kid from the audience (about 4yrs old) to "help" pull his coastal out, this snake would have had the kid for lunch, if it wasn't so well fed and looked after.

Truely the most amazing part is the way he handles his ven's, 1st a copperhead, then 2 browns. the speed of which these things moved at him, was amazing he was not tagged, and the snake was trying. Lastly he pulled out a couple of tiger snakes, beautiful they were. They also tried to have a go at him.

Now for those who have not heard of him, please don't think he is just some moron getting dangerous snakes out in front of the kiddies. 70% of his show is spent discussing the charastics of each snake, showing how to idenitfy the good from the bad. Also gives some interesting stories and facts about snake bite victums and how to avoid being tagged.

Please for those who are not a fan, start your own thread bagging him out. I personally thought the show to be very interesting and informative.

For those interested, he performs on Sundays and Public Holidays, with show's starting at 1pm (approx) He also has a book out called " Snakes Alive" which he sells at the show.

Anyone feel like bagging John Cann???

Doubt it very much, thanks for that write up and anyone who hasn't checked out his show should do so.

John Cann !
Knows a little about turtles to I think! LOL!

Had a chat with him for the first time last week at the AHS, one of them salt of the earth types. Great Bloke.

Neil

Im with you waruikazi, i wish we had more of that here, being in the sticks noone really comes here for reptile shows unless its booked by a school or something:(

Has he been doing it there for donkeys years? if so i remember seeing one of his shows when i was about 5 years old.

Yeah donkey, he's been there for about 40yrs, before him his father, and so on. The family have been doing shows there for over 100 yrs.

I really think the best part of a show like that is watching them with the vens, watching how much concentration and potenntial danger with every strike of the snakes.

(insert comment on hosser / venomoids here):rolleyes:

Last edited:
He was great to see he was just so calm like he wasnt handling a snake that could kill him because .... get this....... not only is venom bad for him,its extra bad-he is illergic to the venom and the antivenom!!!! Bugger

it was a great show though a few people watching were really dumb one guy was acting all tuff for his girl going touch it come on ill get it out for you, then when it came around he only had the balls to touch it with one fingur wimp.... and it was only a 5ft coastel.
or people who let there kids sit on the fence at first till one or two were in it??

what part of 2nd deadlyest snake in the world dont these people understand??
Alot of people have no respect or controll over there kids!

It would be grat to have Johns kind of skill though he was fantastic to see i would go again!!!

Told you you would enjoy his show, he is certainly one of a kind, a great Australian. Other than his herping prowess he was also a terrific sportsman, being in two Olympics in various events and playing grade football.

i think we will have to take cam to see it he would love it!
I was really impressed, it was great to see, there are not many people with his skill its a shame he is getting older... Any one in sydney area go see it!!!
does he have kids that will take over after him?

Canny is another great Aussie icon. I've heard before that he still holds the title for second-best all-round Australian athlete!
When he's gone I for one would take over doing the La Perouse show in an instant just to see the longest running snake show in the world continue.

Hey Jason, hide your book, he didn't have any to sell, "slow boat from china" was his exact words. I really hope he finds somone to carry on for him, it's such a great knowledge not to be passed on.

Not only that but its one of the few things that doesnt involve night clubs of large sums of money that you can do with the family... all the kids there loved it and thought it was great.
It will be a shame for it not to be there i told my family about it and even they new about it ( wish they had told me since im the animal crazy person in the family!!) and had been there as kids to see it and i would hate not to be able to show my kids that sort of thing. he even gives you a little bit of first aid info/advice.

John is awesome, have seen his show many times and he's a lovely bloke too!

John Cann is an absolute gentleman! He is a fantastic snake handler and unlike some doesn't have the HUGE ego!! He is an all-round top bloke!!!

and if you belong to a herp society and you have never had the one of the Canns come and talk to you, start organising it.
John is the last of the line that will be doing the reptile shows. I understand his offspring aren't inclined to maintain the family business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back