keeping blueys

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwaka_80

Reaction score
its my girlfriends birthday on the 18th and im thinking of getting her a blue tounged companion... i have done some research on the net and people say other than they get boring easily they are great pets... would a blue tounge be a good pet for a "first" herp (its her first herp), whats the monthly keeping cost of one and would i be better off getting her a water dragon or beardie? oh BTW the tank is roughly 60cms x 40cms x 20cms - I understand this will need to be bigger but im only planning on buying small for the time being

i go a beardy myself i have both and the beardy is better imo, both are very easy and cheap to look after, if you only have a small tank go the pygmy ones

In my opiniom blueys are a great first reptile especially if you can set them up in a pit outside.
One of my fave things is to have all the bluetongues come out of their various hidey holes and sunning spots to get into the food bowl first.
Beardies are definately better as an indoor first. They require more frequent feeding and are more amenable to handling after aclimatising.

I keep both Blueys and Beardies indoors, and I find the Beardies tend to be more active. In Winter the Blueys bury themselves in the substrate (if they can) and you don't see them for a few months.

Both eat similar foods (although I've not seen a Beardy eat snails) and are cheap to look after.

:p

Hix

Blueys are pretty cool 1st herp. If your looking for food just give it fruit, mince, snails etc etc.
They are abit lazy but when you take them outside ( if you ever do ) they are full of fun.

Blueys are pretty cool 1st herp. If your looking for food just give it fruit, mince, snails etc etc.

Not too much fruit, more vegies and green leafy stuff (they don't come across too much fruit in the wild).

And I suspect too much fruit, especially juicy ones, makes their crap more liquid. Then they drag themselves through it, and then over their basking rock, through their feed and waterbowls etc.

:p

Hix

well we went down to the pet store and they had these central netted dragons that she fell in love with so i picked up a breeding pair, he has a deep red over his head and the female is hiding and shyish (the pet store have witnessed mating) where could i find info about breeding of netted dragons?... oh and ill post some pics soon im charging the camera batterys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back