turtle Q's.. UVB etc.. need answers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

just some questions and answers on turtles as pets, i have researched and have plenty of info EXCEPT in these area's..

some quetions that i'd like answered and would help others...

Q1- UVB light, ive read on many web sites that the UVB bulbs are almost usless as the UVB emmitted by these bulbs are relfected off of the waters surface, given this the sites suggest giving vitamin D (i think its that one) through other means in food suppliments, how is this done and were do you get it?

Q2- is it possible to keep long-neck and short-neck turtles in the same tank? as they do reach the same size, and diet is quite possibly exsactly the same..

Q3- what is the recomended sized tank for one turtle? and how much bigger should the tank get here after? I've heard that a 4x2x2 tank is large enough for 1 if not 2 turtles, am i correct?

Q4- how long does it take for turtles (both short and long-necked turtles to reach 10-15cm (4-5 inches)

Q5- what do you guys feed your turtles ad different ages.. ?

Q6- can i have some examples if any of other peoples turtle enclosures or turtles, and advice of whether long or short neck turtles are easier or any advice at all...

( if no body minds i will edit this post with 'answers' as they come.)

I THANK YOU IN ADVANCED FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!

1. they should be able to bask under the light out of the water, Calicium vit d is available in powder which can be coated on/in the food before feeding(you should feed them in a seperate container).

2. yes, just watch them and seperate if the fight. They can fight with their own species to some times but usually it isnt a problem. I keep broad shells and murray short necks together.

3. I wouldnt keep adult turtles in a fishtank at all a pond is best(except maybe maclay river turtles). They will probably survive without a problem in a 4x2x2 tank a 6x2x2 would obviously be better. It really comes down to if you want to keep them in an enclosure as small as possible or something decent IMO.

4. growth is dependant on feeding but probably between 2-4 years

5. I feed them the same all the time but some short neck species eat alot more plants when they are older, i have water plants with them all the time. Long necks dont eat plants.

6. I use a 4 foot tank for juvies and a pond about 2x2.5m with a deepest point of 1m but mostly shallower than that. IMO keeping any of the commonly available species is very easy just alot of cleaning to do. An old bath tub could also be used for small ones.

start with a small tank and progress to a larger tank as the turts grow. as far as im aware those species can be kept together but you will need a second and third opinion, eastern long necked turts do actually get slightly lareger. it takes a few years to get to that size as they are pretty slow growing. i would deffinatly put UV bulbs in there cause they do come out of the water and will get it then. also need calscium turtle blocks that you put in the water to help harden the shell, this is available from most pet shops. they eat turtle dinnner (frozen packs from pet shops) pellets, feeder fis (when alittle larger) blood warms, crickets woodies, ect. a good varied diet is always healthy. ill be honest i havent kept turtles for about 5 year now so get some more opinions to gather more reliable info, good luck.

does anyone have photos of these maclay river turtles, or a care sheet or breeder, if not ill get a short neck or something,

Contact expansa1 (go to members list) They are just a type of murray short neck(emydura maquarii) that only grows to about 18cm carapace(shell) length. Most emydura maquarii grow to about 30cm although the "brisbane" form are a bit smaller than that too.
There is also an excellent care sheet in the caresheet section on this site written by him.

Vitamin D supplemented in the diet is in an inactive form and requires UVB rays through the skin to be converted to the active form. Hence a UVB light or natural sunlight is essential. Some will get reflected by the water, therefore your turtle should have a good basking spot out of water.

hey guys,

just some questions and answers on turtles as pets, i have researched and have plenty of info EXCEPT in these area's..

some quetions that i'd like answered and would help others...

Q1- UVB light, ive read on many web sites that the UVB bulbs are almost usless as the UVB emmitted by these bulbs are relfected off of the waters surface, given this the sites suggest giving vitamin D (i think its that one) through other means in food suppliments, how is this done and were do you get it?

As stated, UVB is required to absorb Vit D. Thats how turtles evolved. Again as stated, they need an area to bask.

Q2- is it possible to keep long-neck and short-neck turtles in the same tank? as they do reach the same size, and diet is quite possibly exsactly the same..

It is possible to keep them together but they will compete for food. It will also depend on what shortnecks you intend to keep with your longnecks(I assume you mean Chelodina longicollis)
Also, they do not have the same diet. Longneck turtles are generally ambush hunters and do not eat vegetable matter. Shortneck turtles are hunters and also eat vegetable matter.

Q3- what is the recomended sized tank for one turtle? and how much bigger should the tank get here after? I've heard that a 4x2x2 tank is large enough for 1 if not 2 turtles, am i correct?

The correct area for a single turtle is 1 cubic metre of water.

Q4- how long does it take for turtles (both short and long-necked turtles to reach 10-15cm (4-5 inches)

If fed at a rate similar to the wild it should take about 3 years. In captivity generally its about 18 months to 2 years.

Q5- what do you guys feed your turtles ad different ages.. ?

See Expansa's care sheet at the link at the bottom of my post. Its in the file section. Its a Yahoo group so you will need to join it to view.

Q6- can i have some examples if any of other peoples turtle enclosures or turtles, and advice of whether long or short neck turtles are easier or any advice at all...

You will find photos of other's setups in the photo section of that site.

( if no body minds i will edit this post with 'answers' as they come.)
I THANK YOU IN ADVANCED FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!

your welcome

The correct area for a single turtle is 1 cubic metre of water.

Being a bit picky here (but who isnt!) but I dont agree with your wording...

How can there be a "Correct" area for them? Surely the "Correct" area is the entire universe... :)

Maybe "minimum" would be a better choice!

Being a bit picky here (but who isnt!) but I dont agree with your wording...

How can there be a "Correct" area for them? Surely the "Correct" area is the entire universe... :)

Maybe "minimum" would be a better choice!

Is that really all you have to add? I

Im pretty busy so please forgive me if I maybe use the wrong term occasionally.

notice that there are no smilies

Yeap thats all.
There is enough misinformation floating around here without me contributing...
Notice that there are no apostrophes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back