hatchling turtles too deep?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys i was researching turtle care, n stuff, and i came across a really cool website http://canberraexotics.com.au

anyway they sell turtle tanks and setups and have chekclists and care sheet, THIS SITE IS VERY GOOD FOR BEGINERS.. anyway that had a pic of baby long neck turtles in a 4 foot tank i think there was three turtles, anyway, the water was about 2 foot deep, and dont baby turtles drown in too deep a water, if not please tell me i would like to know, i think the deep water looks more fun and natural for them..

heres the pic..

Attachments

• 4-foot-turtle-tank_1.gif
    4-foot-turtle-tank_1.gif
    123.8 KB · Views: 114
IMP that water is probably a bit too deep, i have 2 murray river turtles that are 10-15cms and their water isnt that deep!!!

just my opinion, others might say different

hard to tell but I would say the tank in the picture is 2ft tall so the actual water depth is alot less. They can drown in deeper enclosures yes, so I would not house baby turts in anything deeper than what is in your pic. Quite often the problem with little turts is the filtration system. If too powerful, the little guys have problems with the current and also the pickup.
If you are going to house turts indoors, I would be more inclined to get a smaller cheaper tank for when they are young, and then poor all your funds into a big 6 - 8 ft tank for a couple of adults. IMO turts are one of the cheapest herps to purchase, but the most expensive to maintain.

just a point, these arent my turts, this is the ic i found, i'd love to get some in the next mayby teo years, but im only 16, and my parent wernt too keen on my two 6 foot beardie cages, i could prob only get away with a 4 foot, but if they get too big which will take years, ill build them a pond or something, im looking for those macleay ones that only grow under 20cm, some person kept telling me to get them, and aparently they breed them butm, they didnt return my pm, so until they wright back im stuck.. i could alway make up that my D&T majourwork is gonna be a 6 foot turtle tank... i recon i could pull it off, but convincing my parents, is another thing.... also im not too good at the whole construction thing..

As long as they can get up onto land orm out of the water when they need to that depth should be fine.

GUYS!! ITS NOT MY TANK!!.. its a pic i found the tank is 2 foot high and the water is about 1.5 feet deep, theyre are rocks for them to get out, i was just wondering if it was still too deep... also if anyone else has pics on there turtle tanks.. muchly appreciated..

Kirby, I think everyone realises it isn't your tank, you made that quite clear.

It Belongs to Peter Child of Canberra Exotics

What was being said is that the water isn't too deep, just ensure that WHEN YOU get your OWN TANK the turtles can get out of the water easily and that you don't have too strong a filter in the tank as it can create currents and tire out the turtles.

I personally prefer to have less depth. My opinion is that greater depth is just for the visual effect and not there for the well being of the turtle. I also do not like turtle docks that may trap small turtles. Sure, they can swimm down and out but there is always the exception but in all likelihood they will be fine. JMFO.
If anyone has issues with my opinion tough, go sit in the corner and sulk about it.

well i have 3 turts and only one of them ever uses their landing... dunno y but the other 2 jsut dont seem to like being out of the water. yeh they all have adequate access to them. also my snake neck is only the size of a 50c piece after almost 3 years. wwhy is this? yes he had the right diet, sunlight, etc but he jsut never grew any bigger.

Dont be like that Peter.... :p

In the wild hatchlings will have to deal with all kinds of water depths and are great swimmers almost straight away (they have to be!) but in captivity its not worth the risk. I start with 6 inches of water and slowly increase it over the weeks as they are proving themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back