Moderator's Forum Breach

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moderators, or rather a particular moderator DID have access to our pms. He DID find valuable and private information.

Thankfully he is now gone.

One point i would like to make is that no errors would have been admitted to if this link was not exposed.

A valid point, but I only feel this would have made things worse. Had we removed every instance of the link, there would be even more bitterness about Moderators "silencing" their critics. Constructive criticism within taste boundaries should never be silenced, but rather considered.

Secondly, we feel that the content on the site, while private in nature, was not something we wanted to hide for the sake of defending the Mod practices. Moderators must make some tough calls and justify them, and I feel that what's shown on that site reflects the great work they do accurately. Obviously sensitive information is discussed, but this is necessary - you can't discount the power of reputation.

As well as this, the link was posted on other forum sites on the Internet. If it was not made available at APS, it would have been available elsewhere anyway.

I got sent the link as well and have to ask why a moderator would condem someone without reading prior posts made to find out the context of the topic.The comment made of watch this person ect is unjustified and uneducated because the mod concerned didnt know the base of the subject as was admitted!

Well It is hard to moderate so many people. Some times we point to certain person and warn the others to read they posts to make sure that posts from this persons are in order. This helps and in many cases moderators have been able quickly fix problems. If the person in question is behaving and there is no concern, there is no harm.
How else you can control so many people? We had paedophile on our site in past asking for photos of children with snakes.
I am sorry to upset you.

i'm not saying you read any pm's adam, what i'm saying is that if you can read them then they aren't privite, and your reply was that nobody could read them,

myself i don't really care, i was just asking a question and you answered it,

what worries me the most is all you are worried about was the breach, i'd be more worried about some of the stuff that was posted in the mod forum, mods while being human are responsible for being fair, one point i didn't like was that a partner of a mod was aloud to read over his shoulder what was in the mod forum, she has no right to see anything as she is no different to me and all the other members on this site, why wasn't something said about that,
i'm a mod on another site and part of our commentment to being one was nothing that was posted there was to be told to any other persons , but here is a mod letting his partner read privite site stuff,
whats good for one should be good for all, members have been baned for posting privite mod stuff and a mod themself is letting somebody else read it???????? doesn't add up,

Yep moderating isn't easy and all this has been bought about because of one members extreme anguish at the loss and bad return of an entire collection. It is understandable and now the venting has happened and tempers have cooled it will all look better in the morning.
Good job mods and admin, i know it's no easy task and there are other things that go on like slateman said, freaks and paeds and bad seeds that need to be kept at bay especially when we do inface have pice with our kids in,,, i have posted pics of MY kids and snakes before, and to think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well i just don't want to think about it. I am a mod of a few other sites and yes it is a difficult job, but someone needs to do it, and even tho it can end up being a GDB they are also the police that keep the pops safe. the first one you run to when the blurt hits the fan, and the first ones to be condemened when something goes wrong. without them there would be no here....... simple :D

forgot to add, as a mod on another site i agree that sometimes there are things posted that should be privite and i have nothing against that, i'm more concerned about a mod breaking the rules and then others wanting to add her as a mod because she reads it all anyway............

mods should earn there statis............... and respect it,

I don't post here much anymore, and after today, i'm really over it.

One more question but:

If you had a pedophile asking for photos of children on here, why weren't we warned about it? People have posted photos of their children since that thread (I vaguely remember it) and I'm sure they wouldn't if they had of known some pedophile had been looking for photos.

Yes. You must be logged in to view the "Personal Galleries" as well as full sized attachments.

One more question but:

If you had a pedophile asking for photos of children on here, why weren't we warned about it? People have posted photos of their children since that thread (I vaguely remember it) and I'm sure they wouldn't if they had of known some pedophile had been looking for photos.

Are you for real? anyone can look at this site, it is on the internet. If someone doesnt want to take the risk(?) of a pedophile seeing pictures of their kids they shouldnt be posted on a public forum.
Your on your moral horse again it seems :lol:

Guests can view some photos, it depends how they were put in a thread, if they were uploaded and attached, or actually linked.

I didn't put any photos of my kids up for that reason.

But really anyone could join up instantly and look at what they want. It comes down to people thinking ahead really if they want their photos of kids on a public forum, but I still think that we should have been informed if they knew a pedophile was actually looking for them.

I remember that thread, and heaps of people posted photos to it. Who knows how many emailed them to him.

We had paedophile on our site in past asking for photos of children with snakes.
I am sorry to upset you.

Quite late in the game to mention this! I hope it wasnt who I think! I remember a thread asking for pics of kids with snakes, my hubby thought innocent and he gave a pic of our daughter!!
How do you know? Sounds a strong accusation to fling about so lightly????
Why were those who submitted images told immediately?

dats just scary stuff, i posted a piccie of me on here!!!>>>>>>:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
its alright nobody wants pics of me anyways:lol:

haha Cris :lol:

No like I said, people need to think. But I do think some don't think that people are like that out there, probably due to lack of experience with bad people.

But I do think if they were aware that that guy was one, they should have put a warning up that they knew of at least that instance of a pedophile and people might want to think twice about it.

What's wrong with that? I think thats just being safe.

You sure

What a hard day.

Understatement of the year.:shock:

Has to get better tomorrow. Lets all wake up and be in a different mood. I know I will. I have 3 days off. VHS tomorrow night (1st time), Melbourne Zoo saturday bought a couple new cameras to use. DOn't go back to Monday.

Works for me.

One more question but:

If you had a paedophile asking for photos of children on here, why weren't we warned about it? People have posted photos of their children since that thread (I vaguely remember it) and I'm sure they wouldn't if they had of known some pedophile had been looking for photos.

We have got him quickly and deleted him. No harm was done. Anyway this sort of things are not new to anybody who use Internet. You don't post your children's photo around.

i'm not saying you read any pm's adam, what i'm saying is that if you can read them then they aren't privite, and your reply was that nobody could read them,

myself i don't really care, i was just asking a question and you answered it

This answers a more serious concept that not many people know or think about: If you have information anywhere on the internet, then it's not private. It may not be easily accessible - Mods can't access PMs through the forum interface itself, and accessing passwords in most systems is extremely difficult - but if the information is able to be viewed by yourself then it can be viewed by at least the owner of computer it resides upon. This includes email in webmail accounts, and other data you may not even think about. Recently AOL in the US published a huge amount of the search term records for 650,000 of their members, with a non-personal ID number associated with each member. Through that non-personal information, reporters were able to track down a user just through the searches they used, article here.

If the information is stored on a computer, then there's a good chance that the owner of that computer can read the information. If someone else gets into that computer - through security breaches or mistake on the owner's behalf - then that person also has access to your data. This isn't to be alarmist: I still shop online and have private information kept on hundreds of websites, but users should be more informed about what happens behind the scenes.

The person who was asking for the pics is still a member and visited today!

Pics

Quite late in the game to mention this! I hope it wasnt who I think! I remember a thread asking for pics of kids with snakes, my hubby thought innocent and he gave a pic of our daughter!!
How do you know? Sounds a strong accusation to fling about so lightly????
Why were those who submitted images told immediately?

If this is what I was thinking of I was kindly warned by another member that he thought it was a bit strange and from memory I asked a mod or higher to delete my pic due to my doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back