I'm claiming the record! - Time between feeds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakypete

Reaction score
My Jungle just fed tonight, what a weight off my mind that is. This is his first feed since the 24th of April this year. I was starting to think that he would go till christmas without food, but today for the first time in a long time he started hunting after coming out of hibernation a week ago, and shedding two days ago. I can't complain about him being high maintenance, he's just the opposite during the colder months, interesting that he hibernates even though I keep the temps in his enclosure the same year round.

So therfore i am claiming the record for the Snake that's gone the longest period of time between feeds
April 24 - Oct 8, is 22 weeks and 6 days or 160 Days, Over 5 months
Can anyone beat that

One Happy Herp

I had a Maccie that did not feed for well over 7 months and now every fourth night and hopefully ready mated

Well I have been beaten, obviously I misjudged the serious dieting habits of some snakes out there. Wow! 7 months, I can't go for 7 minutes without thinking about food.

I have a very healthy looking male carpet that has on a couple of occasions gone for almost exactly a year without feeding. Alas he seems to want to break his own record again... I would be worried but he does look the picture of health.

Well it's gone. iv'e never seen him swallow a rat so quickly, I suppose I would gobble that quick if I hadn't eaten in that long. He hit the tong's like a tonne of bricks, lucky i stole the aluminium one's from the kitchen and ditched the el cheapo plastic one's. I need all the reach I can, Iv'e been tagged too many times at feeding time, and the bigger he gets the harder the hit's

re I'm claiming

Your happy sneaky,the snakey is happy,if onley my kids would stop feeding in winter LOLz when the air temperature drops my eldest boy eats like a pig.

My mac that clutched last year didn't eat for 15 months. Fed a bit, wintered and mated again and is gravid. Only expecting a small clutch. I think we will be skipping next year!

It hasn't happened for a few years now, but I've had a couple of snakes go for over one year (as have many other people). A large boid in good condition can go several years under the right conditions (after which it will no longer be in good condition of course). April to October is less than what many people routinely do with their snakes each year, including annually breeding females. I have a couple of snakes which average about five feeds per year (they're currently about ten years old), which is by no means unusual for happy, healthy, large boids.

It certainly can be a bit scarey when your first snakes stop feeding over winter :) When you're used to non hibernating mammals, going so long without food seems quite an ordeal.

my mate had a big Olive that went almost 2 years without a feed.

Yep, definately tried to claim that record a bit prematurely. My Childrens went 11 months 3 weeks without a feed. Damn, another week and we could have claimed 1year without a feed:(
Still looked quite healthy and was quite active throughout that time.

my mate had a big Olive that went almost 2 years without a feed.

2 years :shock: I'm impressed.

Yep, it fed then died 6months later. We reckon he was at the end of his lifespan because he lookied wild caught and was really old.

One of my spotteds fed yesterday, first time since mid-January. She does this every year.

:p

Hix

Well I thought my childreni going 9 months without food was special, but 2 years is insane. Who says snakes are expensive to keep :)

Good to hear he got his appetite back. It's always a releif when they feed again.
My housemates yearling coastal didn't eat for about 7 months. We don't know why. He remained active and didn't loose any condition, just didn't want to eat (no matter what we tried!). Then oneday when i was going through the routine of offering him food (expecting him to show no interest at all) he decided he was feeling a bit peckish and launched himself out the top of the enclosurse to get the mouse off the tongs before i could even get them in to him. Scared the life out of me but atleast he was eating again.
Shortly after that he shed and hasn't turned down a feed since.

A very reassuring thread, I've only had my childreni a week (first snake pet) and couldnt help but wonder if I should be worried as the feed chart indicates he hasnt fed for a whole month !!:lol:

I've got a coastal carpet that i've had for 25 years that averages one feed a year. He went 6 years with 3 feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back