Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hsut77

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Have been considering the type of snake to get while i'm waiting for my licence. Just wanted to know if anyone has had a Bredli as their first snake. Both my wife and I love the look of them and reading about them has lead me to belive they are quite doclie as a species, but individuals can vary like all species. We would really like a black headed python, but will leave that one until we have a few years experience.

Having a bit of trouble choosing as I know how long they will be in your life and would hate to make the wrong decision. :?

i have been told the murray darling is one of the best start off pythons and are suppose to be very docile

I would highly recommend a Bredli, the one's I have would have to be the most placid snakes that I have. But as I'm sure you aware they all have their own unique features and personality.

I think a Bredls would make a fine snake for a beginner. In fact, literally any snake apart from some of the larger Olives and scrubs would suffice. Jungle pythons are also fine IMO as I think they'll all settle down given time and patience. My first snake was a Darwin (Northwestern Carpet), they've got a nasty reputation as a highly strung, moody snake, and for awhile I believed it. If you start off with a young carpet you'll both learn to adapt and then wonder why you started off so concerned about your choice ;) Hope that helps.

I'm a big fan of the Bredli. I have 2 and they have never said no to a rat. A lot of people have also commented that their Bredli are pigs when it comes to food. That makes them a good starter snake in my opinion. They generally have good dispositions as well which is something you want in your first snake.

Bredli is a good started snake. OR......... a diamond python........... an even better started snake (yes, I am biased but they are great) :) :)

I have a couple of murray darling carpet pythons and they are very friendly snakes.

Cameron

no offense to anyone, but I don't know why everyone tries to encourage newbies to buy childrens pythons, or spotteds etc. If a newbie was to get a hatchie diamond, or bredli as an example, by the time the snake is of a large size, they would have had ample time to get used to having a bigger snake as they would have grown with it. My first snake was a juvie diamond. I wouldn't have had it any other way. :)

In fact, literally any snake apart from some of the larger Olives and scrubs would suffice

Yay, someone has finally said that!!! Of course, we mean any python. But really, they are all individuals so some are good and some are bad of any species. Get what looks good to you and also fits into your budget.

Yay, someone has finally said that!!! Of course, we mean any python. But really, they are all individuals so some are good and some are bad of any species. Get what looks good to you and also fits into your budget.

I didn't read moosenoose's post but you are both spot on.. :)

Bredli is a good 1st choice IMO usually docile and quite hardy... But whatever you end up choosing, you will definetly enjoy ;)

Are you looking for one that will grow to about 6-10 feet or 1 that will grow to about 3-4 feet long ?

hey do you mean if you want a python that grows to that size or a Bredli that grows to that size???...as in can u get like miniture bredlis that grow smaller?

What looks good and budget needs to be tempered with your lifestyle. Just like any pet. You need to be able to look after your snake in the long term. I have always gone for the childreni species but am looking to expand to WA BHP/Woma (smaller locality). The smaller snakes have always suited my lifestyle, less room required. Plus you didn't need

I have met some winners out there who have gotten snakes as a statement/fashion accessory and were not prepared at how large their snakes became. As the novelty wore away they just sold em for the profit. It was pathetic and I didn't want to have to intervene.

Be prepared, just like any pet to make a long term commitment.

That in mind, go with whatever you feel.

Enjoy.

my first was a Bredli. LOVE her. never bitten and gets handled regularyly. though never put your hand in when they can smell food. mine nearly launched out the door of her enclosure in an attempt to get her dinner yesterday when i was too slow to put it in range :D
if ur prepared for the size etc, GO FOR IT

Thanks for all the responses, it's great to have such a wide range of opinions. The size isn't an issue as I will have more than enough room for a large enclosure - my wife originally wanted me to get an Olive!!!! I belive they can get up and over 4mt.

i have a bredli and a MD and in ways i would say they are both great my bredli has a lot of attitude and a temper though we still love her to bits and she is a great feeder.she would eat every day if we let her..
And our MD have no attitude she is so calm and friendly she just hangs around cruising everywhere and anywhere even over the dogs!!! yet she is not an overly hungry snake she recently stoped eating for 3months and then started eating again. it worried us a litlle we are still fairly new to it all.

We had a coastel he was bad tempered and yet i have encountered many a coastel that are so friendly...

get something you love the look of and will be happy with if you get a young snake it wont be able to hurt you anyway!!! and by the time it can it should be friendly

I think a Bredli is an ideal first snake, but you said you wanted a BHP.

They are ideal as well, very placid, they are just expensive.

BHP is next on my list

I love the BHP's but like you say a bit $$$ for a beginner.

Have you considered a Diamond python?

They are plain looking when young, but can grow to be stunning snakes. Very docile too

Amazing Amazon has some very nice baby diamonds (high yellows).

They are my favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back