UVA and UVB for snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkon

Reaction score
hey just wanting to know if snakes need UVA and UVB? are their needs very different to lizards?

thanks sam

General consensus is that it's not required except for diamond pythons which seem to need UVB.

Snakes are usually nocturnal and their diet consists of a lot of calcium so they do differ from lizards in their UV requirments.

this may seem like a really stupid question....
but is there any way of supplimenting vitamin D into a snakes diet or even breeding mice/rats that have had vitamin d supplements???
just a thought

All reptiles require UV in the range from 285-315nm. In addition to this, they also require a blue-green light. UV is required to convert Vitamin D to its active form. All Vitamin D supplements are in the INactive form and require UV. Failure to provide UV light can lead to bone disease including fractures and paralysis.

Blue-green lights are full spectrum lights which includes UV and are necessary for normal activity and feeding behaviour. An example is the 'Truelight'.

My understanding is that all reptiles benifet from UV but the only ones that need it to stay healthy are diaurnal speices, usually beeing certin lizerds. I could be mis led.

I keep over 100 Lizards (inc. two sp. of dragons), turles and frogs without any UV lighting or access to natural unfiltered sunlight and have not had a problem. Understanding heating and food requirements is the key.

UV light source. Most lizards and almost all turtles and tortoises need ultraviolet light to produce vitamin D3, which stimulates their bodies to produce calcium so they don't get metabolic bone disease. Snakes generally don't need UV light because they get D3 from eating whole-bodied animals, like mice and rats.

All my snakes are not on any form of UVB or UVA. They are going great guns. I dont have diamond pythons but. From what i understand diamonds are the only python that require UVB.

Cameron

All reptiles require UV in the range from 285-315nm. In addition to this, they also require a blue-green light. UV is required to convert Vitamin D to its active form. All Vitamin D supplements are in the INactive form and require UV. Failure to provide UV light can lead to bone disease including fractures and paralysis.

What a load of rubbish!

Most pythons and monitors don't need UV light to lead a long heathly life, Dragons for example need UV light and it seems diamond pythons do benefit from it.

Your not a real vet are you?

i'm only a newbie (got my first snake today!) but from wat i have been told from talking to breeders is that they don't need any uv lighting etc as they often live in caves or hide away during the day and come out of a night. i could be wrong as i said i'm only a newbie.

Spot on Darkangel. If lizards are fed food coated with calcium supplements they can get away without UV as well.

Junglepython2 have you ever kept dragons?

Somehow i don't think you have and giving advice like that is just wrong, i'm sorry but getting tried of people saying things like this who have no idea what so ever.

Try keeping dragons without UV light mate.....let us know how long they last.

Umm yes I have for over 10 years and havnt had any probs what so ever not even a kinked tail. I agree UV is desirable and I do occasionally take some out for some sun but if adequate dietry supplements are supplied its not essential.

I know many others who do not provide UV with no problems I think Jason also said he does earlier in this thread.

You keep Dragons without UV lights inside for over 10yrs? Tells us your secrets oh wise one?

I would be very interested to know how that is done.

As I said calcium powder, my dragons diet also contains much more wild caught insects then captive bred crickets or roaches whether that has anything to do with it or not Im not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back