Next pet, a lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have pythons already and am after a new pet. Besides more snakes i was after a lizard of some kind. I want something that will stay fairly small and likes to be handled. When i was a boy i had a bluetongue lizard thar would wait on a rock for me every afternoon. I would go to the rock pick it up and play with it all afternoon and let it sleep on my stomach. I am serious.

So i thought i would like a blue tongue lizard. My questions are. How many different variants of blue tongue are there? Whats there rough price?

Also what do they require to be looked after? Do they need UV light? Do they need a heat mate? What do they eat?

Pretty much any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cameron

I would go for a Central Bearded Dragon. Heaps of character and don't mind being handled. Very Placed. I personally would trust a beardie over any other type of lizard species. They are absolutely awesome...... :)

No i have thought about a beardie but would like a blue tongue. So anyone with info please.

Cameron

I can't help you with info on Blueys. I would still recommend the beardie. Each to their own. Good Luck :)

yeah i agree with daimond_python. go for a beardie!

i have 6 bluies and they make great pets and are very easy to look after, yes you need a uv light and heat light or mat its up to you, food they like fruit ,vegies, dog food mine love a grape or 2 now and then.. and they arnt too expensive either :)

dont forget snails, they LOVE snails. just make sure that they havn't been poisoned

heaps of cool varieties to choose from too; Eastern, Western, Central, Alpine, and shinglebacks which are by far the coolest!!!!

dont forget snails, they LOVE snails. just make sure that they havn't been poisoned

oh yeah i forgot all about them lol
shinglebacks are also a good pet very docile reptiles but funny when it comes to feed time :)

Yearling
Seller

bluey and tank swap
for swap for any reptiles of interest..

1 common blue tongue,,3 years old and about 45 cm long,,was told it is a female but cant be sure seeing i havent probed her,,has a slight mark near base of tail that cant be seen in photo but will go after a shed or two(she had it befor i got her)she is a classic gold coast/brissy colouration..
she has a great temperment and can be handled easy,,great with kids and great to let roam around the house..

1 tank with stand and hood..
tank size is 950mm L-455mm H-455mm W.
complete size in stand is
125cm high by 50cm wide

was told tank has a very small leak when it was used as a turtle tank but no glass panels are broken or cracked so it would just need a bit of silicone along the seals if you want to us it for turtles or fish.
the bottom shelf inside the cupboard has a bit of swelling due to the water leak but is still usable and cannot be seen when door is closed or easy to replace for about $5.00.
but apart from that all in exelent condition and look great with some great craftmanship on the stand and hood..

reason for sale,,,is because im halfway between moving and i have had to leave most of my collection at a friends house while doing this,and the tank is a spare and the bluey is excess stock seeings i have another pair of them

Hey,

Can someone shed some light on enclosure styles and how to sex them? Any info would be great. Is it better to have 1 or 2 or a group of them?

Cameron

i see lots of people from newcastle on here now :0 and i was just sitting watching tv thinking that i want a blue tounge so il keep an eye on this thread.

Like alot of lizards blueys can be sexed with some doubt by comparing head size.
The enclosure should have plenty of hides and a substrate they can bury themselves in. They arnt to good at climbing so hight isnt important.
If you want to breed them get atleast 2 but other than that 1 will be fine, they have live young and are probably one of the easiest reptiles to breed.
You also should watch them when feeding as they have powerful jaws and can injure each other.
Try googling for some caresheets im sure there would be plenty.

They dont like being handled just like every other reptile species, but they will generally tolerate handling well IMO

I posted a question about sexing Blueys the other day, the bottom line was they are very difficult to sex until one has babies! but a general rule appears to be the male is smaller with a more slender body and a more streamline-narrower head and the female has a chunkier body with a wider stockier head. This is just a guesst-imation.
Do a search for Davo sexing blueys and you should find more info and a recomended website to check out.
Davo.

hey, i have kept and bred blue tongues for many years. personally i think they are a great lizard to keep. you do need a uv light for them, and a light for them to bask under. i have never used a heat rock/mat but i cant see why you couldnt use them as well. there enclosure needs to be longer and wider rather than taller. if u get my drift, they love to walk around. they dont need a large water bowl as mine have never layed in it. so they just have a small one to drink from.
i feed my blue tongues strawberries, bananas, hibiscus flowers, dog food, grapes, bokchoy, peas, corn, rockmelon and of course snails, but make sure they havnt been baited. my blue tongues will occasionaly eat small pinky rats too as the odd treat. if you want to know how to sex them, the females are usualy larger, they have a short thick tail and large bulky head were as a male has a long thin tail and a thinner pointy head. i would recomend having at least two so they have company. i have eastern blue tongues, they usualy sell for about $60-$90 in pet shops or if u have a look around you might find some anywere from $35-$60 from breeders. and if something happens and you get a male and female and they breed, they have live young so its very easy to look after them. my blue tongues love sleeping in there caves at night time, so make sure they have something to hide in at night. and mine like to climb a bit, but dont have anything to high cause they could injure themselves. hope this has helped if you need more info pls message me ok. see ya.

Hey,

Sweet so a UV and a basking light for them. They seem easier to care for than beardies and my mates one that i held is so gorgeous and seems really cuddly. When you say dog food what kind of dog food do they eat. At what age will they breed and at what age do they get a bit of size to them.

Cameron

Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back