Waters

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Br8knitOFF

Reaction score
Got me a pair of water pythons the other day- really neat little things.

Man- are these suckers faaaaaaaaaaaaaast!

Neither has tried to bite, but are always seem to be running late to get somewhere!

Will post pics after settling down a bit.

//Todd

LOL, I have two female water that want to bite anything at anytime for anyreason.....LOL. Typical women........

*runs for cover* :D

Wish Lily were around to share these with... she was REALLY cool.

Saw the post from her, but not exactly sure what happened.

Very sorry to see her leave.

If somebody is in contact with her, can you tell her I said hello from the states?

Thanks,
//Todd

good luck with the waters, beautifull esp in sunlight. will prob be my next then a blackhead......

You'll be waiting an eternity for them to settle down heh.
Unless that is you got lucky and got 'friendly' ones. Apparently they exist :p

*flicks hugs in the ear*

Yup- the guy I got them from consistently puts out friendly ones.

I know 2 others that have siblings from this clutch, and one other from an earlier clutch, and they all have calmed down nicely...

//Todd

Yup- the guy I got them from consistently puts out friendly ones.

I know 2 others that have siblings from this clutch, and one other from an earlier clutch, and they all have calmed down nicely...

//Todd

...amazing, americans can breed friendly water pythons...

maybe i should have a crack at breeding cuddly grizzly bears?

Congratulations, Br8knitOFF :D Water Pythons are wonderful snakes, I'm sure you'll love them :) If you've had them for a few days and they haven't bitten yet, they're very likely to stay friendly for you. Water Pythons are extremely alert and aware of what is going on around them, which is part of why they can be defensive. They're very inquisitive and will want to check out what's going on around them, rather than just sit there coiled up on your arm paying little attention to the world, as other pythons are more prone to doing :) It sounds like you've already noticed this :) Once they learn that you aren't wanting to hurt them (some take longer than others to trust you), they are such beautifully natured pythons, so full of character, definately my favourite Australian species. When you see them in full sunlight, you can't help but admire their beauty! Such wonderful animals, I hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as I do from mine :)

Hugsta: my female Water Pythons are as docile as snakes come, does that make them abnormal? I took eggs from one this morning, as always, she was easier to deal with than any other python I've taken eggs from :)

(to those I've said I'll notify about the eggs, yes, I will email you shortly, don't worry, I haven't forgotten :) )

Azztech, i personally i reckon that if you can breed the cuddly grizzly bears, im going to have a go at kiddes rattlenakes.

They're a pet, and away to keep those little ones amused with random noise.

LOL

Sdaji, do you have many problems with the inquisitiveness of your snakes, and looking away for a second, only to look back and see that tiny litle bit of black tail disappearing underneath something??

happens to me all the time.

lol93: I have very few pictures taken more recently than early this year, but I'd had a lot of requests lately (probably because I'm breeding them again this year and also from a surprisingly large number of people who contacted me about the one I advertised recently), so I'll probably post a few which many people might have already seen before, for the sake of the newer members. Here is the link to the recent ad http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?t=39684 I deleted a couple of the pictures of the snake from my galery after he was sold, so they are no longer visible, but a couple of nice rainbow pictures remain. Keep an eye on the Australia Snakes forum on this site, I'll post something later today or some time tomorrow, with lots of pictures. Are Water Pythons available in Scotland?

junglist: the only problem I have with the Water Pythons being inquisitive is that they want to check out everything around them and won't sit still for photographs, which makes obtaining that perfect rainbow head shot very difficult (if they're wrapped around a person they'll usually sit fairly still, with just their heads moving about so they can have a good look around). I would never leave a snake unattended outside, even for a moment. Even things like Carpet and Children's Pythons will often make a dash for cover if you put them out in an open area in the sunlight (this is terrifying for them until they get used to it, in the wild it would likely result in their death, so their instinctive alarm bells usually start blaring). I often find that my Water Pythons will stay calm and 'happy' while I'm with them outside, but if I move away from them they will get quite scared - I'm guessing they're accustomed to feeling safe when they're with me, but once alone in what is naturally an extremely dangerous situation, instincts kick in. The ones I've taken out more than a couple of times have quickly become used to it and calmly but keenly investigate all the interesting smells and textures, rather than worrying and trying to find cover.

I know what you mean, and i would not do this either, but i was more talking whilst ahndling them inside, or just handling them in general.

Common one with my female is she'll sit nice and quietly on my arm, shoulders lap for a while, and then with almost imperceptible movement, i'll look down, and see the tip of that tail disappearing (which as you know consequently means that you have to lift up almost everything in the room to find her coz she doesnt sit still, but keeps investigating.

I guess its just their inquisitive nature.

I accidentally left the top of my cage slightly ajar for about 20 mintues the other day and promptly proceeed to lose track of her (other than knowing that she could not have left the closed room, nor gotten anywhere where i would struggle to find her). 2 hours later, i had had enough, and just sat in the middle of the room. she came back to me within five minutes, had obvioulsy decided to circumnavigate the room on her own..

Here's a couple pics I just had my wife take a few minutes ago, of the supposedly 'bitey' male... hasn't bitten once.

//Todd

Attachments

• male5.jpg
    male5.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 40
  • male3.jpg
    male3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 41
  • male2.jpg
    male2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 43
Hugsta: my female Water Pythons are as docile as snakes come, does that make them abnormal? I took eggs from one this morning, as always, she was easier to deal with than any other python I've taken eggs from :)

No, it doesn't make then abnormal, just rare.:)

I also have female that is an absolute pussy cat, a great handler and a great animal. I have a male that is fiesty in his enclosure, but once out is also a great handler and I have two other females that are nuts and just attack anything. I must admit though, none of them get handlesd with any regularity, normally only for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back