Bluey Eating its Tail

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

standaniels

Reaction score
Hi, hows it going,

This is my first thread, but i've encountered a problem with my blue tongue. He has repetedly bitten and eaten the end of his tail. I was just wondering if anyone had some advice or had ever seen something similar. Thanks

Ive never heard of a bluey eating its tail ?????
Maybe mites of tiks ? trying to bite it off ?
Dont take my advice as ive never heard of this ???
MYSTERY !!

No tank mates? you're sure its him doing it?

Not being funny but have you seen him bite it. I can't think what it could be apart from what the other guys have suggested. If in doubt VET.

he's the only one in their, and i did walk in on him biting it once. I feed him a well balanced diet three times a week, so I am sure it couldn't have anything to do with food. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow.

Is he, or has he recently shed his skin?

They will bite their tails(and back legs) in an attempt to get pieces of skin off, particulary if some pieces aren't coming off easily.

Has it left much damage? Any pics or video attachments of it happening? I have never heard of this and I am want to know more about it.

He actually as shedding when he bit his tail off, but I wasn't completely sure if it was related. When i think about it, it could definantly explain why he is doing it. Thankyou. Sorry, but I don't have any pictures or videos of it. I took him to the vet, who said to just put betadine on it and hope that it heals. Is their anytghing else I could use to stop infection and make it heal faster. He has bitten his tail more than once, so if he does it again, is their anyway I can stop it (I'm thinking something along the lines of a cone around his had like a dog) got any ideas?

Thanks

He has bitten off about half an inch to an inch so far, and has swallowed it completely as their are no traces in the enclosure. There is bone exposed, and it isn't looking that good, but he is acting normally

I have seen this before when a blueys tail gets maggots in it, a friend had the same problem.When he brought it over to me I put some metho on it and 3 maggots backed out.Might be worth checking as they really bury in and you cant see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back