My new old 3 leged beardy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gouldii

Not so new Member
Reaction score
its a sad day.To day my little beardy is geting his frount right leg amputated she has allways been the smallest of the three and three days ago the large male decided her leg looked good for breakfast the vet and i tried a dose of topical and injected antibiotics but it hasent worked the wound is geting sickly and the leg still lays limp.This time tomorrow she will be resting in her own rehab tank wish us luck.

Its really distressing when stuff like that happens.

A couple of my bluetongues had a fight over food in my pit one day - one grabbed the other by a foreleg and went into a deathroll while I watched... I was sure the leg as going to come right off. The wound was gaping and down to the bone, and now filled with spit, fruit, catfood and dirt. I soaked the lizard in warm water to try and cleanse the wound and put powdered antiseptic on it every day for a couple of weeks until the wound dried up a bit, and kept the lizard in a tank on clean newspaper. The injured leg straightened out and puffed right up and Reddle couldnt use it for a very long time, but the wound eventually healed. The leg never bent at the elbow again, but after about 6 months he was using it again.

Good luck with your beardie- I'm sure once the leg is gone she will cope just fine and wont even miss it :)

Thanks for your support Glider. thinking about it now im woundering how she will go with out her frount leg.she might have to live in her own cage.and I wounder if she will be able to go outside in the day inclosure because there is lots of high places for her to fall from
Thanks again

My mate also just had to get a leg taken off as it was badly damaged and unfixable and she is doing great she has adapted really well, its cute when she wants to catch a bug she dosnt walk to it she jump's and lands on it lol she has adapted really well

My mate also just had to get a leg taken off as it was badly damaged and unfixable and she is doing great she has adapted really well, its cute when she wants to catch a bug she dosnt walk to it she jump's and lands on it lol she has adapted really well

Dose your mate live with other mates of yours or alone now

I would think that once the wound is fully healed and she's adapted to life without it, she should be fine back with cagemates and whatever climbing equipment she had before as there is no 'flesh' smell and she should be able to manage climbing where she's capable, and a short fall or two shouldnt do any serious damage. They're pretty robust little tackers.

However, the social issue is a bit of a concern regarding the reason she was attacked in the first place. In my case it was fine to re-release the lizard back into the pit once the fleshy part of the wound was fully healed as it was a simple fight over food, not a territorial/dominace issue. In your case, if the male attacked this female for dominance or other agressive reason, I'd be worried that this issue isnt resolved, and in being a leg down the female is even worse off defence-wise.
interested to hear other people's oppinions on this.

Thanks for your support Glider. thinking about it now im woundering how she will go with out her frount leg.she might have to live in her own cage.and I wounder if she will be able to go outside in the day inclosure because there is lots of high places for her to fall from
Thanks again

I have a three legged beardie and he is fine (it is the backleg - though) but they are supprisingly tuff little buggers.

let us know how it all goes...

Just got back from the vet we are not amputating just yet the swelling has come down a bit so we gave her a shot of penacilen a concoction of something with calcium and a lot of other things in it and something like steroids.Going back tomorow hopefully she keeps her leg

Quick update her leg is looking better so fingers crossed hope the drugs work

my central beardie has half a leg missing and he gets around really well no real probs climbing or catching food :)

As an idea..
With animals being territiorial if its possible/you are willing try this:
Remove and clean as much of the stuff in the enclosure as possible. As this is an out-door one take all your animals out for a few days and hose. Rearrange the enclosure so it is a different as possibe and hopefully they will think it is a new 'territory'. Then let the female in first for a few days on her own so that she becomes the 'boss' as she knows the territory best. Then introduce the others one and two at a time leaving the trouble -makers till last. This way she is in an environment she knows and they are 'wrong-footed'

However you could go to all this effort and then a week later have to move her again. If you try it watch closely to see how the hierachy is restablished and if its the same order as before the problem has a higher chance of arising again.

Thanks the attack hapend in the indoor inclousure witch is a 6x2x2 fish tank but when she gets better ill give it a go

I tried the 'new territory' thing with my netted dragons when they wouldnt get along, and it didnt work. I washed and bleached all their cage furniture and replaced the top 10kg of dirt, and put the victim dragon in the tank again first, but the second the attacker was released back into the tank they fought straight away.

Nonetheless, I really hope it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back