Albie Sold

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just received confirmation that Albie has already been sold and so will soon be going to his new home. I have read some of the recent comments stating various views about the winners decision to sell Albie and at the risk of repeating myself I have copied what I posted on a previous thread .......

Hi folks, Simon from Southern Cross Reptiles here. Jan send me a link to this thread which I just read. I'd like to make a few comments....

The idea of the competition was to collect the first serious data on our hobby and then to pubish it for all to see. Offering Albie was our way of providing an incentive to collect the data. My only hope was that whoever won would receive considerable benefit from the prize (i.e not someone like me who already has a zillion snakes). We get a kick out of giving the odd snake away to help people into the hobby - its the way it used to be until all this money was at stake.

Stuart is new to the hobby. He is facinated by reptiles and wants to get more, but funds have been limiting. He and his wife were incredibly excited when I spoke to them and confirmed that he had won. It felt great to give someone so much pleasure.

Stuart did not decide to sell Albie straight away. He thought long and hard about whether he should keep him or whether he should use the money to buy other animals to grow his experinece and the involvemnet of his family. He finally decided that the only practical solution was to turn Albie into cash and pursue some of his dreams - like owning a breeding pair of BHPs or maybe even womas. I am delighted to help Stuart with this.

I offered to hang onto Albie here until he selected a buyer and a price he was happy with. I have told him that I don't expect him to buy anything from Southern Cross Reptiles and to please just buy what he wants. I have declined to have anything to do with the sale process as the snake is his and I believe it inappropriate for me to influence or participate in the sale of an animal we are giving away. I have offered to hold Albie until a buyer is found and to then freight Albie at our cost to where ever. It made no sense to me to put Albie through the stress of flying around the countryside twice, or for Stuart to have to contend with the 6 months rule. Also, we have a lot of experience in air-freighting animals and I want to see Albie safely to his final home.

I think Stuart is one very lucky son-of-a-gun and I hope this helps him get a leg up to become an even bigger addict like most of us!!

Hi Simon,

Your a champ for giving away a snake for something like this... just wanted to show my appreciation to you.

cheers

I think the situation was handled perfectly . I wouldn't have kept Albie , as cool as it would be I'd much rather have a GTP .

although i said it would have been better if albie was won by someone willing to keep him i understand why he has done this, i think southern cross is great for just offering to give away a prize like that and they continue to give things away with their involvment in this site by donating reptiles for competioins run here !
Good on ya mate!

I'm glad the kid did as he pleased with his prize, to him having one albino is pointless, he proabably doesn't have the money to buy a female darwin to breed with it or the money to house and care for anymore snakes.

Good on him hope he has a blast selling 9.5k i know i would have done the same thing.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I think the outcome is all for the best.

As for rather having an GTP than an albino, I guess it's a matter of taste. I'd rather have both and come to think of it I do ........ but I'd really, really like an immaculate black and white jungle too .... anyone no of anyone that might want to do a deal??? I've got some neat stuff for trades.

I've got some neat stuff for trades.

lol, pm Indicus.. this is his B&W but im not sure if he bred it.

And RuscusNZ (spelling) has some black and whites i think.

Attachments

• indicus b-w jungle.jpg
    indicus b-w jungle.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 110
Well done to Stuart. Great start to snake collecting (I could use $9500).
Cant wait to see the results of the data collected from the comp. It will be very interesting.

I just received confirmation that Albie has already been sold and so will soon be going to his new home. I have read some of the recent comments stating various views about the winners decision to sell Albie and at the risk of repeating myself I have copied what I posted on a previous thread .......

Hi folks, Simon from Southern Cross Reptiles here. Jan send me a link to this thread which I just read. I'd like to make a few comments....

The idea of the competition was to collect the first serious data on our hobby and then to pubish it for all to see. Offering Albie was our way of providing an incentive to collect the data. My only hope was that whoever won would receive considerable benefit from the prize (i.e not someone like me who already has a zillion snakes). We get a kick out of giving the odd snake away to help people into the hobby - its the way it used to be until all this money was at stake.

Stuart is new to the hobby. He is facinated by reptiles and wants to get more, but funds have been limiting. He and his wife were incredibly excited when I spoke to them and confirmed that he had won. It felt great to give someone so much pleasure.

Stuart did not decide to sell Albie straight away. He thought long and hard about whether he should keep him or whether he should use the money to buy other animals to grow his experinece and the involvemnet of his family. He finally decided that the only practical solution was to turn Albie into cash and pursue some of his dreams - like owning a breeding pair of BHPs or maybe even womas. I am delighted to help Stuart with this.

I offered to hang onto Albie here until he selected a buyer and a price he was happy with. I have told him that I don't expect him to buy anything from Southern Cross Reptiles and to please just buy what he wants. I have declined to have anything to do with the sale process as the snake is his and I believe it inappropriate for me to influence or participate in the sale of an animal we are giving away. I have offered to hold Albie until a buyer is found and to then freight Albie at our cost to where ever. It made no sense to me to put Albie through the stress of flying around the countryside twice, or for Stuart to have to contend with the 6 months rule. Also, we have a lot of experience in air-freighting animals and I want to see Albie safely to his final home.

I think Stuart is one very lucky son-of-a-gun and I hope this helps him get a leg up to become an even bigger addict like most of us!!

So now no one can have a go at Simon for selling Albie. If I could expand my collection at the expense of an ablino I would do it in a minute. Once again good on you Simon and good luck to you Stuart

Thumbs up to Southern Cross Reptiles for their handling of the situation. Its great that they would give away such a valuable animal, and even better that they're supportive of Stuarts wish to sell Albie. I personally agree with his decision, Albie is worth more to Stuart as a headstart to his entire collection, and worth more to somebody else who can properly admire and appreciate Albie for what he is.

I'd love to win a Ferarri, but if I did I'd sell it.

Despite the 'justification' for the sale of his win, I still think that if he didn't want an Albino, he shouldn't have entered the competition. Many people would have loved to have owned such a rare and beautiful (not to mention expensive) python such as this, and to sell it for profitable gain is such a slap in the face to the countless number of people who entered the competition for the rare ability to add this python to their collection.

IMO you are completely missing the point of the competition MannyM.
The prize was offered in order to promote a survey which will help herp keepers nationally and consequently every single survey response was of equal importance.

Yes it provided incentive for people to fill out the survey, however the whole 'competition' was centred around having the opportunity to win an albino, and in a special interest based community such as this, it meant having the ability to own the python itself, and not to look at it as a dollar value.

I'm just saying that I think it's a shame for all the people who entered the comp purely to have the ability to own the snake itself, regardless of worth, to lose out to someone who just sold it off for profit from the get go.

If he was to have sold the snake, to purchase the actual snakes he wanted from Southern Cross, then I think it would have been justifiable, but no one knows what he's doing with the money. I just see this as Southern Cross handing out nine and a half grand, which is a complete loss of the point.

... however the whole 'competition' was centred around having the opportunity to win an albino, and in a special interest based community such as this, it meant having the ability to own the python itself, and not to look at it as a dollar value.

This is where we disgree. The point of the competition was to gain info about the herp community. From single snake owners to mass breeders.

Now, the snake will belong to somebody who was willing to pay full price for it and so obviously really wants it, and will make full use of it's potential.

If the competition was limited to only those who would keep the snake the survey info would have been useless.

Well not winning albie has put my albino breeding program back a few years.I just hope simone is feeling philanthropic after he reads my thread (i can hear violins starting up).And if that doesnt works maybe he'll accept some down to earth unadulterated groverling -please please please can i have an albino!
I was glad to see Stuart had put albie up for sale .If your just new to the game you can make a lot of errors and with albie it could end up being an expensive one.

albie

Its funny, I entered that comp and had not heard anything, I googled the comp last week and it came up the lucky winner is stuart and he has been unable to be contacted....

Well my heart stopped dead as my name is stuart and I had heard nothing.....my god was I excited until I clicked on the link and saw stuart of qld.......bugger

Mind you, I would have done a similar thing to stuart of qld, as it would be wrong of me to take in a $9500 snake for my first one, I think I will stick to something a little more down to earth

Few may have sour grapes an have gone home with their marbles cause they didnt win LOLz this competition was a credit to those involved with it,well done Simon Stone SouthernX. (smiley)

Next time there is a comp I think we should all abstain from entering and let MannyM enter on his own.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back