Help Chicken Beak Went Through My Snakes Neck

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His wound has completely healed and i am having trouble finding the cut now. I have been putting bettadine on it. I rang my vet and he is not in to wednesday. He is having an injection of baytril tomorrow from a guy that knows a lot about this sort of thing. Hopefully there is no infection. He is still happy by the looks of it. He is only 6-7 months old.

For all the people telling me how stupid i was to try feed it a chicken head, I did this as i thought the beak would slide down his throte easyly. The vet said it should be ok to wait and even then nothing can realy be done as the wound is already healed so a stitch is pointless.thanks to all the HELPFUL people on here,
Thanks again Ash.

I'll keep you informed.

Last edited:
Please never force feed your snake anything ever again. No one should ever force feed a snake without being shown...assist feeding is much safer and easily taught, but also it is something that an experienced herper needs to show you.

Anyone reading this new to keeping - never attempt this, force or assist feeding is only something experienced people should do and if you are worried about the snake not eating, seek advice from an experienced herper before ever attempting force feeding anything at all to a snake. It is very stressful and dangerous for your animal. And I mean anything, not only sharp dangerous things like a chooks head.

I'm happy you posted up ashman, at least others can learn from your mistake.

I wish somehow that all this was covered in a book or something and some sort of exam was given before licenses were handed out for reptiles, it would save much grief for the owner, but especially the animal.

Please never force feed your snake anything ever again. No one should ever force feed a snake without being shown...assist feeding is much safer and easily taught, but also it is something that an experienced herper needs to show you.

Anyone reading this new to keeping - never attempt this, force or assist feeding is only something experienced people should do and if you are worried about the snake not eating, seek advice from an experienced herper before ever attempting force feeding anything at all to a snake. It is very stressful and dangerous for your animal. And I mean anything, not only sharp dangerous things like a chooks head.

I'm happy you posted up ashman, at least others can learn from your mistake.

I wish somehow that all this was covered in a book or something and some sort of exam was given before licenses were handed out for reptiles, it would save much grief for the owner, but especially the animal.

hi i read up on this and am happy ash's snake is ok. do you need licenses for snakes in aussie country? you dont need them in the uk but you do need them here if you are housing venomous animals.

Ashman - very good news, I hope its all good now

greyfox - yes, each state is different, some states allow you to keep a few common species without a licence but you need a licence for almost all reptiles here, not just venomous. Also, to keep any non-Australian reptiles you basically have to be a zoo, only natives.

It's good to here that everything is fine Ashman. Hopefully we have all learnt a lesson here and I guess with 1 mistake many will be able to learn what not to do. Accidents can and will happen, it's how we learn by them is what counts. ;)

Well today he had his injection of baytril. The only thing we have to worry about now is infection. Here is a picture of him and just to clarify things, he is not a Cross. He is a high yellow diamond from Daniel Cull. Thanks

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 142
Cross

Well today he had his injection of baytril. The only thing we have to worry about now is infection. Here is a picture of him and just to clarify things, he is not a Cross. He is a high yellow diamond from Daniel Cull. Thanks

Hi Ashman,

He looks like a cross.............well I should rephrase that................he looks a little cross with you.:lol:

She looks nice too but I think he will be a stunner! Well done

i believe force feeding is fine but at a very last resort but why a chicken head? it should have been a mouse or rat something like that. i just hope people learn something from this.

i have seen a very experienced person force feed a pinkie to a children’s and the tweezers went through the neck all we could do is use a nontoxic superglue and some oil based beterdine the snake ended up dieing but was it the wound we not sure the snake was a hatchling and hasn’t eaten before i think 3 4 months and it was very un healthy.

the point is even those that do it on regular bases can make mistakes don’t let every one beat u up over this i just hope you have learned from your mistake

My diamond has not been feeding so i tried to force feed him with a bantam chicken head and it went straight through the side of his neck. The wound is only about 4mm long and there is no blood. What should i do.

Stop keeping snakes ! If you don't know what you are doing , why harm animals ??? It hasn't eaten for 3 months , so you shove a batam's head down it's throat , you must be very experienced to be force feeding snakes . Good luck

Stop keeping snakes ! If you don't know what you are doing , why harm animals ??? It hasn't eaten for 3 months , so you shove a batam's head down it's throat , you must be very experienced to be force feeding snakes . Good luck

give the guy a break he made a mistake and im sure you have before just like me and a lot of other people on this site. it is comments like this that deter newbie’s from asking questions and coming to us for help. we don’t need it here i am pretty sure he has learned a lesson and i don’t think he will be doing it again in a hurry and im sure a lot of other newbie’s and oldies alike have learned something from this as well so if you have anything to say at all it might as well be helpful. this is not a personal attack it is to every one that thinks the don’t make mistakes and dish out criticism when someone else makes one:x

Cheers Matt

i just want to know why picked a chicken head, the reason behind a chicken head? because force feeding and chicken head would never seem comman sense? i just want to know the thinking behind it? even if i was a newbie i dont think i would even of thought about a chicken head?

All is well and good to tell a person they are wrong force feeding a chicken head after the fact. Where is the responsibility of the person selling the snake to provide as much information as possible about the animal. Information about shedding, feeding, housing, heating and general husbandry and health of the different reptile species should be spoken about and addressed prior to the sale of the animal. Yes, we all learn from our mistakes, but these mistakes should be minimised by providing education and knowledge from those of us who wish to sell our excess stock. It is our duty of care to the animal and the buyer to provide this service whether it be through a fact sheet provided with the sale or follow up phone calls or emails. We cannot stop all mistakes from occurring as we are all still learning about these wonderful animals, so lets help others who want to keep reptiles from making the same mistakes we did and going through the worry of losing a reptile through nothing more than lack of knowledge and inexperience. They made a mistake and they did the right thing by getting advice straight away and putting a post on this site, lets not forget about the people out there who would sooner let the animal die in a horrid way without a second thought just to save a vet bill. Lets not deter people from seeking advice and guidance when mistakes are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back