Help Chicken Beak Went Through My Snakes Neck

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sparticus, thanks for your comments, but I don't have years of experience. I've been keeping reptiles for around 3 years (I'm a tarantula person myself foremost), but in that time moved in with my partner who has got years experience under his belt. I was involved with breeding season with him twice now and also he has one of the larger collections around, so I was able to learn alot. The above is just my opinion based on what I've seen and also his way of doing things which I have seen successfully works, also his success with adult pythons he has purchased as 'non feeders' and had them feeding in no time. But it's still just an opinion, other people may disagree, but I think it's safe to say FF doesn't have positive affects on a snake, but most particularly easy species to keep such as pythons where such measures really don't need to be resorted to.

lol, no alumba, I'm out now, really this time :lol:

Can I say once again that this is what we are actually here about.!

To share information and our experiences (whether right or wrong) to gain enough knowledge to be able to make decsisions on how to best keep our animals.

I think everyone has made valued comments and opinions here and hopefully someone has gaiend a bit of info in which to help them in their herping.

How's Dugs by the way? Where is he hanging out these days? If you people want some good info and personal (and honest) herp experiences I believe Nome can put you onto someone who is pretty good..;)

This site is not just about experienced herpers. IMO it is about all facets of herpers...from the ones with many years to the ones with only a few hours.....I believe that we all learn un til the day we die.

By the way I know of a few experienced herpers who have had to force feed snakes thorugh problem times (mostly when hatchlings). I know I have had to do it with Beardies with crix for a week. I would not call it forced feeding but more assisted feeding;)

Anyway just like last night I have had too much to drink. Have a good one guys...................................................................and girls.

Spelling

I've just re read what I posted and would like to apologize to anyone that I may have offended with my atrocious spelling:lol:

Alcohol is a funny thing and should only be tried by trained professionals :lol:

Nome post #96 was brilliant and i applaude you on your information and the way it has been put forth there.

In THIS case the ff was IMO completly un nescary, 4 times !!! surely after the first time you would realise you are out of your depth. Ashman i do not believe the decision you made was thought through or you considered the repercussions, unfortunatly it is not you that suffers for such a tragic decision it is the animal.

I have read so many posts here of late and just shook my head, it seems that keeping has become popular but research into how to keep these animals not so.
It also seems that new owners or short term owners are to quick to assume they know and can do everything, within a few months some have become self confessed experts.
The real experts are those who have been in the hobby for many years and even then they will tell you they are still learning.
It is sad that many of the more experienced herpers out there have left this site and will no longer share their experiences here but the instant experts have alot to answer for for that.

all the above is just my opinion.

Zard , well said . I have to learn to be a bit nicer when i write things. Jim

Time and time again people put forward valid thoughts as to why things are done a certain way [tried and true methods] only to be shot down in flames from instant experts.

These so called instant experts as has been said have only been in the hobby a short time and perhaps only had experience with one or two animals.At times a lot of advice given are direct cut and pastes from other sites and posted in such a way as to show the poster as having relavant experience.The people doing the googling have no way of knowing if the info is correct or not and don't seem to care either way,all they seem to care about is being percieved as knowledgable.

People such as Naomi are still offering advice for the health of your pets and getting slammed for the most part for doing it.Most others have given up due to the frustration of it all.Naomi is 100% correct in what she has said on this issue.If a snake is not eating during a period of the year that they should be then it is because of stress.Stress being everything from incorrect temps,handling or other straight out bad practises.Reptiles have very basic needs and supplying them with these needs is a no brainer.

To the ones having problems with their animal/s I suggest you spend more time closely observing the animals in your care and less time reading the rubbish [ for the most part ] in these forums.You will be very surprised what you can learn from watching your animals closely.

Lets keep discussions like this a common thing and keep this forum a pleasure for all who use it.Healthy discussion keep a healthy mind and it should also help to keep healthy reptiles.

Wise

Lets keep discussions like this a common thing and keep this forum a pleasure for all who use it.Healthy discussion keep a healthy mind and it should also help to keep healthy reptiles.

I take it you are one of the wise men;)

No I'm an unwashed smelly roman in a torn toga with sandals and on my feet,who thinks he is a gladiator.

Just remember one thing here!!!!!!

Ashman did not have to post this thread at all. I believe he made the post in the attempt to help someone in a similiar position. He has learnt by his mistake and hoped to help someone else by sharing his experience.

Don't give him grief about it. All you are doing is putting people off by posting future posts.

Everyone has made mistakes in their life and you are full of crap if you believe that you have not.

Sorry for my rant but I have had a few red wines.......................but come tomorrow I would say exactly the same thing.

Ashman I hope to ctahc up one day and share herp stories. Give the guy a break guys.:|

I agree shamous. Everytime someone joins this site you ALLWAYS see "dont be affraid to ask anything even if it sounds stupid". Well i say that is a load of crap, have a look at this thread, a guy have made a mistake and people are only too quick to jump down his throat.

How about, Sorry to hear that but you really shouldnt force feed at anytime, if you are worried just take it to a vet

I agree shamous. Everytime someone joins this site you ALLWAYS see "dont be affraid to ask anything even if it sounds stupid". Well i say that is a load of crap, have a look at this thread, a guy have made a mistake and people are only too quick to jump down his throat.

How about, Sorry to hear that but you really shouldnt force feed at anytime, if you are worried just take it to a vet

Theres a difference between asking a stupid question and doing something obviously stupid.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist or 10 years of reptile breeding experience to realise that jamming a chicken down a snake's throat isnt going to do it any good.

FFS if your snake isnt eating then ASK first. You wouldve found that people wouldve offered lots of solutions which would have prevented this "accident" from happeneing in th efirst place.

Mate I am not having a go at you personally, its more that I am venting about the recent spate of crap advice by people with 5 minutes of experience.

If you had posted that question a year ago, you wouldve received some very good advice from lots of experienced herpers. But now its only the 5 minute experts.

I blame the loss of experienced herpers from this site on your snake's mishap.

Mate I am not having a go at you personally, its more that I am venting about the recent spate of crap advice by people with 5 minutes of experience.

If you had posted that question a year ago, you wouldve received some very good advice from lots of experienced herpers. But now its only the 5 minute experts.

I blame the loss of experienced herpers from this site on your snake's mishap.

Basically what i was trying to say . How many people are left that have been here for more then 3 months , think about it ? . You ask for help , think who you are asking , people are giving advice that don't even own a snake yet . Good luck Jim

So you blame me for experianced people leaving this site. Real mature. I blame people who try and get poiticaly corect on every topic. And people who say how stupid you are for making a mistake. I speak to a few herpers on this site outside of here and they all say the same thing. That some people have nothing better to do and for a 17 year old I think i am doing pretty well with my animals.

The mistake was made. Fact.
Ashman admitted it. Fact.
People gave advice. Fact.
People have jumped down his throat. Fact.
Experienced Herpers have left this site. Fact.

Why? Because of ****ty attitudes of certain people who feel that they our mightier than........................sorry I lost my train of thought...........basically get of the kids back. What's done is done and fortunately for the snake and Ashman it looks like it turned out o'k.

Was it stupid.......most likely. Do you think Ashman learnt his lesson? Definately.
But cut him some slack or people will get scared of ever asing for help for fear of being told (A) The wrong thing and (B) for being ridiculed.

Goodnight all. 04:00 start in the morning.

Your joking right

Mate I am not having a go at you personally,I blame the loss of experienced herpers from this site on your snake's mishap.

Hi Codered. Your not serious by your comment about not having a go at Ashman are you? You could have fooled me. Read your post 2 posts above and it is there for all to see in black and white. You quite simply blame Ashman. Whether you meant to or not you did. I would probably try and re-phrase or try and better choose my words next time, or maybe even read what I have typed previously before I say something like, "I'm not having a go at you personally".

Rockman has a completely valid point about some of the information being given out on this site in regards to reptiles.If your new at it or haven't had much contact with other reptile keepers how do you know which information or advice to take on board and if you take the wrong advice it can lead to the detriment of the animal.When I first came to this site a put on a pretend senario about my murray darlings not eating just to make contact with people and get the ball rolling in regards to talking to others on the site,Some of the advice I was given was bizzare in anyones language.I am just glad I wasn't really in trouble with my snakes or I will still be in the bathroom blow drying the mice so they had a good hair doo.If we don't know how to help the person with the issues at hand lets not give advice or ridicule and let the people who have had the experience help them.I personally do not know who is who on this site and am always happy to give advice on things that I know about if I am asked, but I am no expert and would never claim to be and would not dream about giving advice to someone about their animal I know nothing about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back