Hide on the Ceiling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickson

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I bought a couple of the plastic hides that Shane Scarf is selling a couple of months ago at a Herp meeting, and peterjohnson64 commented that he'd like to have the hide on the roof of the enclosure/aviary for his diamonds. The hide has a rim or lip around it so using some plastic for it to slide into would be the easiest way.

I kept this in mind and on the weekend saw some 3mm plastic moulding in Bunnings, so I bought a length, cut it into strips and Bradnailed it to the ceiling in my Water Python enclosures. The hide just slides in.

The hide in it's usual position on the ground. Note the lip.
main.php

The plastic moulding
main.php

Strips nailed into place
main.php

In position
main.php

In use.
main.php

Just thought I'd post this in case any one else wanted to do similar.

:p

Hix

Good idea there hix, is there any chance the plastic could warp out of the slides.

Apologies to all those who tried to post to this thread earlier.

As I stated, wasn't my idea but I think it's a good one, especially for all those tree loving snakes!

And Mayo, maybe the larger ones might warp. I guress it would depend on the weight of the snake inside. But I reckon this could support a 6 foot carpet no worries. Of course, proximity to heat might have an effect as well. But I can't say anything for sure because it hasn't been tested (I don't think) - but just playing around with it I don't think it's gonna warp or come out.

Hix

Great idea, are the hides commercially available anywhere or is something similar?

Shane Scarff sells the hides, he placed an ad earlier this year, http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?t=33200.

Or those who come to MacHerps can get them at the meeting, as Pablo said.

As for the moulding, Bunnings stocks different types and some are not as good as the others. And some stores don't stock all the varieties. Anyway, the one I got has the following barcode, name and skew number:

main.php

For those of you who said they were going to get some this weekend, I hope this helps.

Hix

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a snake grin if I ever did see one Hix. Think he approves!
If anyone was worried about it sliding out you could always drill a hole upinto the plastic slide, put a nail in there and screw a nut on the end to stop it sliding forward. Not sure about warping out though. JAI (Just An Idea ;) )

great idea, good use of space and everything. is there a chance that its going to slide out and fall. it could hurt ur snake if that happened.
serpent lady has the right idea if its loose

Great idea, are the hides commercially available anywhere or is something similar?
i have used water meter covers and solanoid covers which come in different sizes and colours and can be purchased from places like reece hardware and other irrigation or plumbing supplies.they cost between 10 an20$$.

Took this tonight, just shows you how much my girl likes the hide
main.php

great idea, good use of space and everything. is there a chance that its going to slide out and fall. it could hurt ur snake if that happened.
serpent lady has the right idea if its loose

It can't fall, I made sure of that. It doesn't slide easily either, but I can remove it without too much effort. And I have to be able to take it out each week to clean inside it!

She hasn't crapped in it yet, but I gotta check it each week!

Hix

hide

thats great mate

put a sheet of perspex in the top of my boy bredli cage which seems to be popular .......think i might look into addapting your idea though

Attachments

• SV100744.JPG
    SV100744.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 93
  • SV100745.JPG
    SV100745.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 140
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back