If i got bitten?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benan

Reaction score
Hi,

Since its becomming warmer there are alot of orb weavers around garden area and I just ran through a web got me thinking, if i got bitten by one.. what should I do? is their venom harmless do they NOT bite? should i ring an ambulance?

thanks.

Well ppl were watching me jump around like a friggin idiot when i ran into the web 15 mins ago! :oops: I hate them being near me xD

Your going to die a horrible and painful death......their venom is so toxic. LOL.

Just kidding, i suppose if your allergic to it then you might be in for a night of hugging the porcelain but you'll be fine. It's the spiders with fangs that big they look like they can chew through metal that you should worry about.

Simone.

garden orbs the ones who spin the x in the middle of thier webs they make u wanna puke redness round the bites a lil swelling but thats it but in future b careful matey :D

heres something for ya Orb weavers are reluctant to bite. Symptoms are usually negligible or mild local pain, numbness and swelling. Occasionally nausea and dizziness can occur after a bite. Seek medical attention if symptoms persist. :D hope that helps

All Spiders are venemous but only the funnel webs and red-backs are considered to be dangerous to humans in Australia.

picture

some type of orbe spider. did it look anything like this one.

Attachments

• orb spider2.JPG
    orb spider2.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 70
  • orb spider4.JPG
    orb spider4.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 64
Probs less hairy but who knows i was jumping around trying to get the spider off which wasnt there :p

Only a few species of spider are considered potentially dangerous in Australia...Funnel webs red-backs and mouse spiders. Orb weavers arent likely to bite you unless you squeeze them in your fist or something and if you are bitten the symptoms arent all that terrible. I dont think you have much to worry about walking through a an orb web, except the fact that you destroyed this beautiful silk artwork.

for the people stating that there are only a few in oz which are deadly...your missing the White Tail spider...These are BAD...lol i hate em...

thats nothing compared to the mouse spider
p6ux.jpg

Photo by: David McClenaghan
A mouse spider, Missulena species. Mouse spiders should be considered dangerous and treated with caution as they can be aggressive and will bite if provoked. There is evidence that the bite of a mouse spider is potentially as serious as that of an Australasian funnel-web spider; however recorded envenomations by this spider are rare. Funnel-web anti-venom has been found to be an effective treatment for serious bites....well they say that the mouse spider is just as poisonous as the funnel web....YUCK SQUASH MATERIAL :D

As was said, they are very reluctant to bite. There has been extremely few bites recorded from them. Their venom is harmless, the bite wouldn't even be as bad as a green ant bite if on the odd chance you were bitten.

I've always been spider obsessed, and when I was younger I put my finger in one of the golden orb weaver's webs and moved it a bit to see what happened. It ran down, touched my finger with it's palps, realized I wasn't edible and retreated. That wasn't the smartest thing to do, but it goes to show how reluctant they are to bite.

This is one of my big girls, Ellie. Her fangs are 1cm long, and she is as big as a woman's hand. She's something I do worry about being bitten by :) I know she wouldn't hesitate. But I love her all the same, she's my second favourite spider in my collection.

spiderresize.jpg

And this is Jewel, she is my favourite spider. She is also the largest, but not as crazy as Ellie and very reluctant to bite...saying that, I don't go picking her up.

Jewel009.jpg

Females of Missulena bradleyi have the largest fangs of any spider in Australia (I think). The photo a couple of posts back above looks about 3/4 lifesize.

:p

Hix

Hey Nome,

Was waiting for you to comment on this thread, even though spiders make my skin crawl i love looking at the pics of your animals. They look awesome. Especially Jewel.

Simone.

THose spiders are Beautiful Nome

for the people stating that there are only a few in oz which are deadly...your missing the White Tail spider...These are BAD...lol i hate em...

White Tail spiders arent really dangerous, the nasty thing about them is that they often cause necrotic arachnidism (sp?). This is the skin rotting you were referring to and it is believed that it is caused by a bacteria present on the spiders fangs, not the venom itself. Wolf spiders and black house spiders are known to cause this painful condition as well although it does not occur in all cases of bites from these three spiders.

EDIT: Just thought I would also mention that although you may hate white tailed spiders, if you have these around your home there will likely be few other spiders about as their diet consists mainly of other spiders.

Well ppl were watching me jump around like a friggin idiot when i ran into the web 15 mins ago! :oops: I hate them being near me xD

hahahaha I'm sorry to say that I would have chuckled as well.. but still I know where your coming from..we never have any spiders around our house and ofcourse today on the rare occasion that I put make up on I walked with my face directly through a spider web.. and did the whole hand swishing 'ptooi! ptooi!' thing cause I didn't fancy having bits of web stuck to my face...

They never really teach first aid about spiders...but from what I remember.... the amount of venom from one spider bite to a healthy adult body will just make you sick..unless ofcourse you start convulsing and you swallow your tonuge.. heh. No idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back