setting up my old ewd tank for my bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreliaMatt

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all, just cleaned out and am now setting my 5ft tank up for my yearling bredli.

its 32 - 34 in the hot end and 24 - 26 in the cold end..

ive got the things out of his old 2ft tank to go in aswell....

here is his new tank, my old ewd tank:

hnew.jpg

and ive got these things from his old tank to go in when he does:

hold.jpg

can anyone think of anything else i should put in there for him?

got heat
got water
got hides
got climbing branch
got stump to sit on to get closer to heat

Matt

get some of those grape vine roots they look great and most species of carpet love em also rocks or river stones look good. iv got an 11month old female bredli heres a pic, you got any pics of your bredli

Attachments

• PB060023.jpg
    PB060023.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 84
  • PB070026.jpg
    PB070026.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 75
heres my bredli enclosure

Attachments

• PB090030.jpg
    PB090030.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 142
cool, thanks for posting pics mate,

here is a pic of my bredli in his new enclosure...

he is 12 months old on the 27th of this month.

Matt

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

very nice bredli you got there male or female mine's female. what do you feed yours and how often

looks good guys. whats the temprement of bredlis cause they are gorgeous pythons

Looking good there mate :)

Here are some pics of mine. The tank with all the greenery in it was when she was a hatchling, so she has lots of spaces to hide, and she is in the desert set-up now.

She spends most of her day hanging off the fluro or lounging all over the sticks. And when she's hot she heads for the little hide in the other pic.

I think the more climbing items you provide for your snake the better, it's so much better for their health IMO. And when you think of where Bredli's come from, semi arid-ish country with big rocky outcrops etc etc.

Attachments

• BredliTank.jpg
    BredliTank.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Hiding.jpg
    Hiding.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 88
  • New Tank.jpg
    New Tank.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 103
Great pics Matt!!

Will pop over when I get back for a propper look!

Humps looks quite happy with his new found space!! Still loves his log I see!

Kerri

Persoanlly, i think that cage is way to big for a yearling that size. Considering a fully grown bredli can be kepy in a 4ft tank, a 5ft tank for one that it no where near fully grown may stress it out a bit.

Regards Alex

Consider the fact that there are no walls in the natural world where these snakes live, what keeps them happy out there is that there is always a number of places to hide, isn't it likely that this same principle will work for a small snake in a large enclosure...give it ample amounts of hiding space and the snake will be happy...And on the point of keeping a fully grown bredli in a 4 foot tank, this is the bare minimum and never is the bare minimum the best thing for any animal.

I would suggest more hides.. but otherwise looks good.
Whats the purpose of the space on the right hand side of the cage?

Consider the fact that there are no walls in the natural world where these snakes live, what keeps them happy out there is that there is always a number of places to hide, isn't it likely that this same principle will work for a small snake in a large enclosure...give it ample amounts of hiding space and the snake will be happy...And on the point of keeping a fully grown bredli in a 4 foot tank, this is the bare minimum and never is the bare minimum the best thing for any animal.

Thats all well and good, but at the end of the day these snakes arn't being kept in the wild. There is a reason why people keep smaller snakes in plastic tubs, its because the snake feels more secure. Time and time again you hear about small snakes in massive cages which arn't feeding, and more often than not it is because the cage is too big.

If it were my snake, i would use a tryed and tested metod, which keeps the snake happy.

But hey if you want to take the risk...

Regards Alex

thanks to everyone for your replies!

where do i start?

jkrakka: hes a male, i feed him between 7 and 14 days, an adult mouse or 2 weiners.... gotta try to get him onto small rats soon....

jeramie and hodges: yes i agree it looks empty! i have heaps of branches that im preparing to put in there... lots to climb on, he loves sitting on his log and being up high and close to the lights and heatlamp. I need some more greenery in there..... gotta try find some cheap bulk fake plants and leaves on ebay or somewhere if i can!

melgalea: like all snakes, they are all different! bredlis are known to be pretty calm tho, but every snake has its own personality! with mine, hes protective of his enclosure, but once out hes generally pretty good... although he doesnt like other snakes or my dog! lol

NinaPeas: thanks for posting the pics of your enclosures and snake! looks awsome! gotta get my enclosure looking like your small one! although i do like the desert setup you have it in now, but i find substrates like that quite high maintenace! but they do look much nicer! and natural! good work!

mertle: yes he does seem happy! and for sure u have to come over again when you get back!

ether: thanks for your comments, i appreciate your honesty! while he is still quite small he does not seem at all stressed by the new found space. hes come from a 2ft tank but is still out regularly and is feeding no problems at all. This will be his home for the rest of his time, it is a 5ft tank and i beleive it is plenty big enough for him as an adult, which u have just clarified that they can be kept in a 4ft if need be, thankyou.

Tatelina: the purpose of the space on the right that is divided off was for water. i had my ewd's in there for a year til i decided that they would be happier outside in an aviary.... so that was their pool, its divided at 1ft, so it was 4ft land and 1ft water. but since they are now outside and i wouldnt get my money back by selling the tank, i thought i would use it for the bredli! ;) i am contemplating trying to remove the divider, as it is a piece of glass siliconed in with universal rock wall siliconed onto the glass divider.... i just dont know how i will go getting it off cleanly..... once the he gets bigger i might be able to put water back in it again, but that much water might make it too humid for a bredli..... i dont know.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back