Hypothetically Speaking, anyone want a pigeon?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falconboy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Hypothetically speaking, of course, if I had a non-native pigeon that was seemingly uninjured, but unable to fly, that was quite happy living in my front yard, but a cat was likely to get it, do you think someone on here, in Sydney, might have an aviary and might like it? Hypothetically speaking, of course. (and I don't mean an aviary that has a snake that would like it for a meal!)

The reason its hypothetical is, having a wildlife rescue licence, technically we can't rescue these non-natives, and should have it put down, but as animal lovers, we don't really like doing that unless its necessary, especially for such a nice looking bird (pure white with red feet) in this hypothetical situation.

It may fly again, it may not, but it can't stay here safely.

PM's only - if you could help if this was the situation and it wasn't hypothetical. :D :D

If you become a Seller ($5 per year) or a Subscriber ($10 per year), you wouldn't need to talk hypothetics.:rolleyes:

If you become a Seller ($5 per year) or a Subscriber ($10 per year), you wouldn't need to talk hypothetics.:rolleyes:

ahhh, isnt the point of the hypothetical situation that the pidgeon cant be sold or rescued and is meant to be killed otherwise...........:?

I really wouldn't post that on a reptile forum...cause hypothetically...people would feed it to their animals and say that they were giving it a good home.

Anyone can see that falconboy is trying to sell it or give it away.

I'm curious - which species of non-native pigeon is this hypothetical situation based around?

:p

Hix

Actually I am equally curious about this non-native - hyptohetical - unicorn pidgeon....

It sounds too far south for a hypothetical Pied Imperial Pidgeon...

falconboy, you can rescue it, just as long as you do it as a memeber of the public and not as a wildlife carer. You won't have any insurance if you injure yourself basically.
I would have thought it was a fantail or similar pidgeon.

For starters wombat, I don't think even the mods here would be that pedantic to require subscription/seller status to find a home for a possibly wild pigeon that needs a caring soul

I can assure you theres nothing in it for me, other than knowing this thing is safe and has a chance at life. Native or not, it doesn't deserve a certain rescue institutions policy of anything non-native gets the needle (or wack on the head). There are some fanatics in native rescues and trying to assist a non native that can be a pest and competes with our natives for food is often frowned upon. As it is, I contacted another rescuer to see if they had anywhere for it, who was quite unhappy that I was giving a non-native a chance at life!!!

I wasn't talking hypothetics to get around the requirement to become a seller, must you think the worst of people wombat, but since some need it spelt out, it is hypothetical due to the fact that with a native wildlife rescue licence one isn't supposed to rescue non natives.

Hix, I have no idea mate, by strangely enough I did find reference to a 'White Pigeon' as a species, so we might assume it is one of these, since its pure white with red feet.

Magpie, I've been told that if one doesn't have the licence, its ok, but once you have a rescue licence, its against licence terms to actually take a non native (whether or not done as an official rescue or not). However, I don't even think NPWS is that bad that they would really object to me helping this thing. If I was to own some exotic snakes perhaps (but if that was the case maybe they would be eating roast pigeon).

As for the insurance, I'm not too worrried about injuries from a pigoen. Some of the possums I've come across on the other hand are nasty!

Although I joked about roasted pigeon for a snake.....mmmm....not going to happen thanks.

Does it have a ring on its leg?? Try and get onto someone in some of the Homing Pigeon Clubs around the place. Maybe someone in one of the clubs might take it surely?

Hi rodentrancher, no ring unfortunately, I did think of that.

However, I have just found an aviary home with another fanatical rescuer who has 7 aviaries and a variety of rescues.

A happy ending for this nice bird.

Thanks all.

Unless they've changed the rules a lot, anything that is probably a pet, ie escapee, should not be euthed but should either be returned to it's owners or rehoused. Sounds like you have some overzealous people in your branch.

Hi rodentrancher, no ring unfortunately, I did think of that.

However, I have just found an aviary home with another fanatical rescuer who has 7 aviaries and a variety of rescues.

A happy ending for this nice bird.

Thanks all.

Happy hypothetical ending for this hypothetically nice bird.

:p

Hix

Hey magpie, who really knows if its an escaped pet bird or not. We have to assume its wild and just can't fly for one reason or another.

Gee thanks Jason, for mentioning specifics........

Anyone can see that falconboy is trying to sell it or give it away.

who cares wether he is or not? This is a moral situation where the welfare of a needy animal is at stake. He never mentioned selling it so why would he post it in the for sale section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back