Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It hard not to stress :cry: . We will hopeful know something today when they go to the vet.
Their snake is fine this morning. :?

Nome posted some information for me that was very helpful, scary but helpful . Thankyou and i'm sorry for your losses. What are you doing about your snake that has had the virus for 3 months, what symptoms is it showing?

Hix, there seems to be a lot of questions regarding OPMV. I just did a quick search through the forums and there are 99 threads (there may be more elsewhere) pertaining to this subject. I've also looked in the Wiki section but only see a reference to OPMV in the "what diseases can my snake get section" in the FAQ section. This is a lot of reading/searching for someone who is desperate to find information, particularly for the computer illiterate. Just a suggestion; maybe you could talk to the administrator about putting a OPMV link in the main menu area of WIKI or alternatively as a button in the menu bar of the homepage.

Last edited:
Have passed on your suggestion for the Moderators and admin to consider.

:p

Hix

We recently lost a diamond under similar circumstances.
It to had a lot of green coming out of it and the vet said the green in the feaces was that the liver was in bad health.
Ours died and it turns out that it was poisoning (pretty sure it was from TOD, even though it supposedly is not stored in the body).
Fingers crossed for you and tour friend.

It hard not to stress :cry: . We will hopeful know something today when they go to the vet.
Their snake is fine this morning. :?

Nome posted some information for me that was very helpful, scary but helpful . Thankyou and i'm sorry for your losses. What are you doing about your snake that has had the virus for 3 months, what symptoms is it showing?

I don't usually check this site, but checked back to see if you've had any news yet, sorry for the delay.

I don't mean to scare you at all with what I posted, I was just telling you some information about OPMV and what it showed in our collection and what you can do but only IF that jungle had it. Hopefully it's symptoms had nothing to do with the disease. With our diamond, the herp vet we took him too was as sure as he's ever been that it didn't have OPMV, but due to the fact we have a large collection and were trading and expecting a good breeding season, we made the difficult decison to euthanize the snake (which was very sick by this stage) and have it tested anyway. It's a horrible reality that the only way that a snake can be diagnosed is after death.

The snake that has the virus and is still alive is an adult Bredli. I guess we can't say 100% she has the virus because she can't be tested, but just after we had the confirmed case of OPMV she started showing identical signs to the diamond. She is quarantined away from the house in a separate dwelling, so is the male she was mating with who so far has shown no signs. Her symptoms are that she is very rigid often and crawls backward, flipping onto her back. But there are many other signs of OPMV. Our diamond didn't show the 'typical' symptoms of a respiratory infection that OPMV infected snakes often show, which was why the vet was sure it was a brain tumor. The Bredli has so far hung on, we still have not decided to euthanize her because she has been with us for a long time and we don't want to let her go without a fight, but reality is she will probably lose it or we will have to make that decision soon. She seemed to be getting better for a time, but since she ate recently, she has gone downhill again. Even if she did survive and get better, she will never be able to be anywhere near any other snakes in case she is a carrier. The most frustrating thing is that there is such little known about this virus.

I hope that helps, and I don't mean to alarm you at all. Just sharing my experience and I really hope that your friends can get to a good herp vet and find out that there is a non-infectious reason for the jungle being sick. THat is still a big possibility.

Keep us posted.

Hi All,

It's a same that there is no register to track the instances of OPMV. Then at least wen could determine the rate of spead locations etc.

Hey everyone,
Sorry about the delay. I have been away without computer access.

Good news! My friend took her jungle to the vet today (they couldn't get in earlier) and the vet is CERTAIN that the it is something to do with it not passing it's poos properly. The pervious lot of constipation most likely scarred his intestines and now he will have more trouble passing poos.
I'm not sure how the vet knows for sure that it's not OPMV (I suppose you can't be certain with out killing the snake). The vet said because of how young he is it is most likely not OPMV.

A HUGE thankyou to everyone who was concerned and offered advice/help.

Good Stuff

Just thought would have a quick read as i am reasonabley new to snake keeping and had never heard of OPMV. So glad to hear that your friends snake is ok, and hope i don't have a scare like that...

I'm not sure what the age of the snake would have to do with it not having OPMV. I'm not trying to be a downer here but you have to realise that OPMV isn't age specific. Seems like a rather silly statement for a vet to make.

Mick

but you say that its intestines are scarred and he will have more trouble passing poos, doesnt that mean its not alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back