Julatten Carpets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty01

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of true Julatten form carpets, they could share??
cheers Matt

yeah ive seen the herp trader one, i was hoping some people might be able to put up some more pics, of true julattens so i could get a better idea of what they look like, ive seen some in books, but there doesnt seem to be to many people who own this form, or want to share pics if they do have them. must be less in captivity then i thought, or maybe they dont want to show pics as there worried about all the "so called jungle experts" criticising there snakes, and shooting them down. its a shame really.
cheers Matt

why did i ask the rest, should have just gone to the best!!

Thanks Tim, very nice indeed, im after a female, hatchling if you can spare one, youve got my number gives a call if any are available, thanks for sharing your pics. whats your opinion of the herp trader one for sale Tim??
cheers Matt

here you go mate, here is one and also a spot where they are pretty common to see, not quite at julatten, about 9kms away

Attachments

• bwhome (600 x 400).jpg
    bwhome (600 x 400).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 211
  • mrsjulatten (600 x 400).jpg
    mrsjulatten (600 x 400).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 219
thankyou

thankyou very much viridis, could you please comment/give me your opinion on the "julattens??" for sale on the herp trader. what do you think, ive been informed that julattens come in that colour form(washed out yellow) as well as black and white in the same locality??
any advice on that particular snake would be appreciatted.
cheers Matthew Burgess

yes that true, You can get carpets at julatten that come in all of the pattern and colour morphs of any other jungle. They could very well be from julatten, but unless your only buying for locale specific animals, then i would not bother as they are not going to turn white but they wont be high yellows either. Plus you will never really know if they are from julatten anyway.

thanks

the owner of these snakes informs me that he bred a clutch of which most were stunning black and whites but there were also two washed out yellows as advertised from the same clutch. is this possible?? if i bred to washed out yellows together would they throw a certain % of black and whites?? or does this sound like a fib, and they would throw washed out yellows?? i thought the colour pattern of the snake were its "genetics" and it passed on its colour/pattern traits to its offspring?? would they throw black and whites??
cheers Matthew Burgess

Yes, as Viridis stated not all Julatten Carpets are the true Black and Whites. You can also get them with washed out greys and even washed out Black & Yellows. The one on the trader is only ever going to be a low quality Black & Yellow.

Diamond Pythons are the same. In some areas like Gosford, you can find startling high grade yellows, as well as medium grades ranging all the way down to black slug monsters. Just because a animal is listed from a certain location, does not make it a high quality animal.

The pics posted by Tim and Viridis are are of good standard Black & Whites, but they can occasionally be found at far more intensive colours. High quality ones are only occasionally seen these days, and rarely ever parted with.

20 to 25 years ago, these startling snakes were collected in reasonalbe numbers from wind rows at Jullatten and sent south to collections. They were probably more of these then Black and Golds. However, around the same time people started to fall in love with the stunning Black & Golds, and collectors stopped keeping the Black & Whites, and they were simply forgotten till recent years. Now people are always looking for something different. Its gone a complete circle. :)

thanks

if i bred two washed out yellows to each other what are the chances of them throwing a few black and whites?? or is this unlikely??
cheers Matthew Burgess

I would say your chances are very low indeed, there doesn't appear to be a short cut to getting B&W's.

Like bigguy said,
all of the pics in this thread are of average quality bw jungles. There are some real screamers out there in aussie collections at the moment.

These guys were so common 20 years ago that no one really could be bothered with them.

Whats happening with black and white jungles at the moment is an extreme example of supply and demand, that will blow over in the next few years. There are some stupid prices going around at the moment forr these black and whites. In two years time these will be back to the normal very realistic price of around $500 - $800 each.

It doesn't matter though in regards to price...........if you want them bad enough, you will pay the price.............and if you just want them in your collection one day ( like most) you will wait and pay a reasonable price

I take it back about all the animals in this thread being average quality, as the striped animal in the third pics is a stunner, i didnt see it in there before.....oopps

Gidday,
No way were these snakes common in collections 20 years ago.
John Montgomery had a couple of stunners, plus a few other dedicated keepers but overall they were a fairly uncommon python in captivity and those people lucky enough to have them would not part with any.
A lot of the so called B&W's are really just washed out Athertons that appear somewhat black and white. These snakes will not breed true.
If these snakes were so common twenty years ago, I would love to see the photo's as we have all seen pic's of B&G's from twenty years ago. So where is the pic's?
Even Barkers great book on Australian pythons has no photo's of any B&W's.
Cheers

G'day Matt,
IMO mate the carpets your refering to in the advert appear to be just a tableland form carpet.
Ask the breeder to supply you some pic's of the other B/W's he was supposed to of bred, as one would presume he would have taken some pictures of them, if they were as nice as he says?
Interesting to note that people think true julattan B/W's are common......
the truth is their not; as the local residents would confirm.
Wind row's at julattan? it's my understanding that no cane was at julattan25 years ago.
How many carpets has one ever found on wind rows regardless of where; may be a Taipan?.
As far as numbers of true captive julattan B/W's; there are few however have seldom been bred.
Due to limited numbers of quality bred Julattan B/W's, i believe it will be sometime before they are priced at $500-$800 as a quality B/G......mostly due to a high demand and low captive number held. Hopefully those few keepers with true quality B/W's will have success in breeding
them.....until then numbers will remain low unfortunately.

I think you will find that the wind rows that were mentioned were just a term for cleared areas of rain forest where the debris was pushed aside in rows. They do provide awesome spots for seeing many reptiles in the short term as this is sometimes the nearest available refuge. When they did this down in the Tully area many years ago some well known keepers in this country used to do very well in the wind rows.

Cheers Dave

Matter of opinion....i guess
you amongst others obviously think so :rollingeyes:
Either way i wont part with any for $800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back