**URGENT** Diamond Python Acting Strange

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakiesam

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon i witnessed my 2 year old Diamond Python acting in a very strange way.

He was sort of thrashing himself around and sliding really fast up and down the cage...he just didnt seem to be acting right...he would all of a sudden stop and stay in the same spot for a few minutes then hide in his rock and come back out and repeat what he had just done....at times it was like he was a little limp.

He was fed on Friday and has always been a good eater. We have had him since xmas eve and he has never acted this way before....

Wondering if anyone can tell me what may be wrong or if this is normal behaviour.

I would take it to the vet...

Thrashing around isn't generally normal behaviour, and I would take every precaution with Diamonds due to Diamond Python Syndrome....

Wondering if anyone can tell me what may be wrong or if this is normal behaviour.

Has he done it before? Obviously not so it's not normal.

Is he still doing it? Then go immediately to the Vet.

If he is not still doing it how is he acting now?

IsK

He is back to normal now....just hiding in his rock...looked in today and he was breathing normal and just resting...i am thinking maybe he was in pain and he is now ok....

Will check him again tonight when i get home but I am thinking it was maybe just something that was upsetting him yesterday and now he is fine....will let you know how he is tonight.

Mites can cause restless behaviour might be an idea to rule them out.

How do I check for mites and what actually causes them to get mites??

Check for any moving red/brown dots on the snake especially around the head and underneath belly scales. Also check the water bowl for any drowned ones. You may also see stationary white dots on the snake.

They usually come from other infected snakes, if you havn't introduced any new snakes into your collection in the last few months and havn't been handling other people's snakes it's unlikely to be mites.

look for tiny critters or their poo (white specs) look around head, around eye's and in heat pits. adult mites when full of blood are easily seen as dark spec's. If you place a large bowl of water in the enclosure, your diamond will try to soak them off if it has them.

What's diamond python syndrome? Or am I just showing how gullible I am?

Well i am 99% sure he doesnt have mites as i have never picked up another snake nor introduced him to another snake...

I would be interested to know what Diamond Python Syndrome is as well...that makes 2 of us who are gullible...lol

I have a diamond python and i found a lot of info on Diamond python syndrom by searching for old threads

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back