Python Appetite?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazann

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi :)

I am a newbie that has just aquired my first python,(Carpet hatchling).
I have had him for close to two weeks, and I have been offering him pinkies (frozen, then thawed) but he is not interested.

He did just shed his skin last night, and I understand that they go off their food around that time, but how soon after shedding should he feel hungry again?

Also, if he does'nt like the frozen pinkies, is there anyone that knows where I can get some live ones? Or is there a live alternative to pinkies, say perhaps fish?

I am concerned because he hasn't eaten in the time we have had him, and being a little fella, surely he must need to keep his appetite up?

Thanks,
Kazann :)

He won't of fed because he was sheeding. It should resume normal feeding 2-3 days after shedding. Leave it alone for 3 days and then thaw a pinkie, make sure it's not frozen in the middle and then offer.

What was he feeding on when you got him. He should still eat that.

If this fails search through the tips in Wiki on feeding a hatchling.

I have successfully managed to feed all my snakes the next day after a shed and they have fed well....... Like what everyone said I would give it a few days to get a better response. If just in case u need some live feed for u'r snakes in the future PM centralian 11 on this site and he's very helpful........ Hope this helps.........

There's a thing called braining where you squeeze the mouses head just a little until the brain pops on the inside (mmm yummy I know =s ) and that suppousedly makes it smell more enticing.. maybe try that aswell...
There are heaps of tips around..try also using the search function in the top menu bar of this page.

The very first thing you should do is speak to the breeder.If you havent already asked for or been given the info then find out how many feeds it has had and how it was offered.Also find out how the snake was kept before you got it and set it up the same way.Also until it has established a decent feeding routine for you I suggest it be left alone completely with the exception of cleaning and replacing water.

seeing as you have only had him for (close to two weeks) and he has had a shed in that time. I think that the little guy might need time to settle in to his new enclosure.

the week for feed response was not in relation to the shed, my waters dont go off their food even before a shed. But merely in relation to the snake in a new enclosure, and trying to maintain a healthy feeding response.

I had issues getting my nw water to feed initially, but letting him settle into new enclosure, and not over stressing him with excess food presentation when he was not comfortable seemed to work fine, hes an absolute guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back