Prevention Notice - HELP OUR WILDLIFE

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bundy

Reaction score
first of all i would just like to say that the images i have used have come from ssssnakeman on the "death of native wildlife thred". if your reading this ssssnakeman i am only using these pictures as an example of a flyer that could be made and i thank you for posting them. in response to the Death of native wildlife thread (http://www.aussiepythons.com/showthread.php?t=49868) i mentioned that a laminated flyer could be made promoting pictures of entangled animals and the destruction of products such as bird mesh. these flyers can assist the customer on how to use the product in a safe manner and give them an insight to the damage the product can cause. in turn this educates the customer and then leaves it is left to their concience as to what they do and how the use the product.

please feel free to comment on the example i have quickly put together, very rough and was only done to give an idea on how to do something like this. i also mentioned in the thread that we could pool together some images to use for this sort of thing.

there is no harm in asking management if you can place signage like this with products that commonly cause damage to the wildlife population, afterall they can only say no.

View attachment example wildlife care.doc

thats sad.Also snail bait and Rat bait and those sticky pads to catch rats are killers of native fauna also.

i mean theres no garuantee that it will work but if just one company, for example bunnings is willing to co-operate and let you post these sorts of warning even though it may be a long shot then thats hundreds of people that are then aware of the damage that is caused. if one bunnings is willing to co-operate then you could ask them help you to branch out and do the same with another bunnings. becoming "eco friendly" is the in thing with everything now. i think everyone is starting to want to do their part for the environment including big companies.

it's worth having a go, if it only saves 1 or a few snakes then it was worth it, if it creates public awareness and saves heaps of snakes from being killed even better!!!!!!:):):)

Bundy great idea. there are organisations that can help, and that can desperately use your help.
http://www.wildcare.org.au/ is in your area, and we always need all the help we can get. we get virtually no help from the gov and every small thing is deeply appreciated. this is not the only wildlife group ofcourse, but it's the one i work with as a carer and we are always under-staffed and overworked. if you can offer any help at all it would be gratefully appreciated. Contact cathy via the site and she will love you forever.

I would encourage anyone who loves our wildlife to get involved in some way, even if you can spare an hour a month doing phone calls, or have a chocky drive at your work place, wildcare has many needs and few hands, we do all we can, but it's never enough.

I would strongly suggest you also include photos of other animals trapped in nets, like lizards, birds and bats (perhaps focussing on the birds and lizards). Otherwise people will assume that the nets catch snakes ONLY, and this will lead to one of two thoughts:
  • "I'm putting this over my fruit trees, snakes won't get caught because the net won't be on the ground"
  • "It kills snakes? GREAT!"
  • or they'll think both.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea. I just think the effectiveness could be improved by not limiting yourself to one oft-maligned and misunderstood group.

:p

Hix

I would strongly suggest you also include photos of other animals trapped in nets, like lizards, birds and bats (perhaps focussing on the birds and lizards). Otherwise people will assume that the nets catch snakes ONLY, and this will lead to one of two thoughts:
"I'm putting this over my fruit trees, snakes won't get caught because the net won't be on the ground"
"It kills snakes? GREAT!"
or they'll think both.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea. I just think the effectiveness could be improved by not limiting yourself to one oft-maligned and misunderstood group.

Hix

obviously hix i wasnt goin to limit to reptiles. they were the only photos i had and i threw it together in about 2 minutes. i was definately planning on broadening the list of wildlife affected, if you read what i said initially we could pool together some images so that we can give the public a better idea on what it does to the wildlife.

great idea however i wouldnt have a pic of a snake on it at all.... still the majority of the world are scared of snakes.... i would have a picture of a bluetounge, a few birds, kangaroos, possums and even fish in waterways.....

but i'd steer clear of our gorgeous misunderstood snakies!

Sounds like a good idea.Like some people have said focus the pic's on Bird's and Bluey's or maybe a possum.

• "I'm putting this over my fruit trees, snakes won't get caught because the net won't be on the ground"
  • "It kills snakes? GREAT!"
  • or they'll think both.

:p

Hix
i totally agree,so im now on the lookout for all related stories,but im wanting to focus on the birdnet for now.
not get sidetracked to the other environmental damage caused by poisons etc.
I can only do 1 crusade at a time and i think this one is worth the effort.
i will be on the lookout for pics of mammals and birds in the net.
if they can be posted here or sent to my email that would be great.

I would encourage anyone who loves our wildlife to get involved in some way, even if you can spare an hour a month doing phone calls, or have a chocky drive at your work place, wildcare has many needs and few hands, we do all we can, but it's never enough.

If you live in Victoria you can contact "Wildlife Victoria" we desperatly need your help aswell

http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/

They're the guys I work with....

I would put cute cuddly animals that have been mangled on the flyers, not everyone wants to save snakes.

there is no harm in asking management if you can place signage like this with products that commonly cause damage to the wildlife population, afterall they can only say no.
quote]

how about asking people who sell cats to include a detailed sheet of the native animals they are likely to kill?? would be a good idea as well!!
cheers Matt

how about asking people who sell cats to include a detailed sheet of the native animals they are likely to kill?? would be a good idea as well!!
cheers Matt

hahaha so true though! but its never gonna happen!

If you live in Victoria you can contact "Wildlife Victoria" we desperatly need your help aswell

http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/

They're the guys I work with....

I would put cute cuddly animals that have been mangled on the flyers, not everyone wants to save snakes.
yes, i spoke to kerry who put me onto sandy (she seems very cool), Sandy put me on to a batman by the name of Laurie Pope.i spoke to him and he is keen to help,his agenda is saving bats,and he will send me pics and information on bats being caught in the net and hopefully we will be able to illicit some sympathy from a broader sector of the community.
in the meantime i have been able to get photos off bluetongues and jacky dragons caught in net so...hope we get an impressive flyer happening.
By the way,if you live in victoria, and care about our environment,
please help "wildlife victoria"
by joining and maybe even volunteering for care etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back