Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand why people are so certain that this isnt going to actually work?
Please explain, shopping trolley stolen

I have heard so many arguments on this subject and everyone has a different opinion.
I Don't think it is something that should be encouraged at all for obvious reasons but in saying that, if other animals such as birds and that cross what is stopping snakes .

It would be nearly impossible to know if they do it in the wild unless everyone you caught to relocate was tested but in captive I just think it should be best left the way it should be, black to black, tiger to tiger.

I have heard so many arguments on this subject and everyone has a different opinion.
I Don't think it is something that should be encouraged at all for obvious reasons but in saying that, if other animals such as birds and that cross what is stopping snakes .

The problem is genetics. You can successfully cross different species within the same genus, but different genuses shouldn't be able to breed.
You mention other animals such as bird that cross. Yes that's true but again it's usually within the same genus, but in this case it would be like breeding a sparrow with a magpie. Both are birds, but it ain't going to happen.

I think that's the point and the reason this could (yes I said could) be exciting. If there were offspring it would force a rethink of both the Notechis and Austrelaps genuses.

I'd agree that hybrids of elapids should be discouraged (not even going to enter the debate about other hybrids). But both snakes seemed to be about the same size based on the limited amount you can see in the pic, they also occupy similar environments in the wild so I think you could be forgiven for housing them together temporarily. I'm sure breeding the 2 would not be considered in the slightest.

I don't think anything will come of it, but it would certainly shake things up if something did.

Very interesting, lets see what happens keep us posted.....................

keeping a tiger and a copperhead together is asking for trouble imo, both are canabilistic and are capable of eating each other.

The problem is genetics. You can successfully cross different species within the same genus, but different genuses shouldn't be able to breed.
You mention other animals such as bird that cross. Yes that's true but again it's usually within the same genus, but in this case it would be like breeding a sparrow with a magpie. Both are birds, but it ain't going to happen.

no it would be more like crossing a zebra finch with a gouldian finch, different genus, same group

May I ask why were they housed together?

They were housed together because at the time i only had the one tank, which was a sufficient size to house the two snakes. The copperhead is considerablly smaller than the tiger and i was told they would co-exist fine together as long as the copperhead remained smaller than the tiger, and they have been housed together for some time with no incident. I had absoloutely no intention or hope to ever have the two snakes mate, i had no idea it was possible, but it did happen, and im not saying anything will come of it because it probably wont but it was something interesting to think about.

The pics you took arnt really proof of a mating unfortunatly

I told you they were crappy pics, i tried to get one of him inserted in her but my camera was running on flat batteries and died shortly after i managed to snap those two.

im surprised by the amount of people complaining about them being crossed, yet these people have no problem with crossing pythons, which can breed between different genus, waters have been crossed with carpets before, ball pythons have been crossed with woma pythons.
cheers Matt

I told you they were crappy pics, i tried to get one of him I told you they were crappy pics, i tried to get one of him inserted in her but my camera was running on flat batteries and died shortly after i managed to snap those two.
ah, the batteries,i hate it when that happens.
I wasnt doubting it happened,its a shame you didnt photograph the actual...there a word for it which escapes me at the moment but
inserted in her
covers it.

It may just be that this particular tiger is a sexual deviant, cause last night after i replaced the copperhead with another tiger, that i caught only two days ago, he was at it again with the new tiger, and i actually got some decent pics. I'll post them when i get home from school.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back