Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like a typical spotted to me! They are the most bitey of the childrens group.

spot on! sell it and use the money to buy a stimmie or childreni, thats full size adult and a proven good handler, as some people have said, some snakes are just born to bite!
cheers Matt

I have a 14mth old female spotted Python which I have had now for about 9months. I've always tried to handle her as much as a i can (as I work full time this is only in the evenings). for the first 3-6 months she was great, only biting me occasionally when she was hungry. However as she's getting older she's getting more aggressive and it's now to the point where I can't handle her without gloves on as 9 out of 10 times she bites hard and death rolls my hand and fingers (as though she thinks I am her food). i feed her regularly, every 7-10 days in a different tank to where she lives, and even sometime feed her 2 or three rats in a feeding (about the size of my thumb). She is very healthy and a good size for her age. I'm reluctant to get rid of her, but am unsure what to do about this behaviour. I dont' want her to grow to full size and still be biting as that will make it almost impossible for her to be handled. Has anyone got any advise or tips?

get over it

my water python is like that, so he is now a look and not touch snakey, i only get him out to feed, check over and let him hav a roam on the grass in the sun. otherwise he is left alone. some snakes wont ever calm down. if i was u keep him as a look but dont touch snake and maybe buy yourself another python that may handle better. good luck with it. :D
mel

LadyKat, sometimes it isn't something you do, it is just that snake.

I too have a spotted python like this. It doesn't matter how full he might be, how recently he was fed, how much or how little I handle him. I have even gone to the point of grinning and bearing it in the hope he will give up. Nope. He grabs, hard, rolls and constricts, everytime, without fail. He doesn't release and will happily constrict my arm until I give up and bodily remove him. As I manage to get a coil off, he is madly taking a harder hold elsewhere. When I finally get his mouth off, he snaps and stretches, constantly trying to get back to eat me.

He is now 6 and is simply an attractive animal to be viewed from the other side of the glass.

Incidently, I have only bred from him once and all of his offspring are the same, albeit not quite to the same extent. I no longer breed from him and won't do again in the future either.

this sounds exactly like my medusa, I guess I have to come to the conclusion that she is one of those 'look but don't touch' things.

Feed her more?
This was my first thought also, try feeding her every 4 days until it appears she does not want the food, maybe she is digesting her food to quick, and there for is attacking your hand as though you are dinner.

thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions, i love my snake to death but the main reason I got her was so she could be handled. i'l give her some more time and see if she settles, and also try feeding her more at once, and less often. She is almost ready to go into a bigger tank and I have to decide whether to spend the money on the upgrade, or trade her in for a new baby - I haven't been able to measure her properly for a while, but the last time she was about 48cm, I'd have to assume she'd be around 60cm now, but that's just a guess, she could be bigger

My technique is more guaranteed.... Hold said snake by tail. Use the 'throwing motion' so the head of the snake hits a concrete floor or wall. This is followed by a return motion where the same head hits the same wall or floor. Generally the accepted speed of this action is regarded as fast to extreme. The faster you go the bigger the difference in biting.

Generally you'll only have to do it once... and then a gentle tap on the head with the stern words "NO!" will surfice from here-on-in.

That advice is free of charge.

thanks for the advice, hopefully I won't have to be that drastic!!

i hope you get her out of the habbit, my woma was a kitten now he's a bite a minute type guy, an oven glove is a useful tool if you want a little padding and protection or a tea towel, if you have no joy and a trade is your only option have a look at a stimmy, my pair are the sweetest, no striking or bitting ever from either, Good Luck either way

i hope you get her out of the habbit, my woma was a kitten now he's a bite a minute type guy, an oven glove is a useful tool if you want a little padding and protection or a tea towel, if you have no joy and a trade is your only option have a look at a stimmy, my pair are the sweetest, no striking or bitting ever from either, Good Luck either way

I have a fully grown stimmy also, I think she is about 3 and she is a darling, no drama's what so ever and I can handle her as much or a little and it doesn't faze her one bit. I've had her for about 6 months now. I just wish medusa (the spotted) was more like her!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back