Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would agree boa but how do you regulate this? You and I both know they are already brought over illegally , it would be even harder to stop the black market if you could own them..

also regarding the allowance of domesticated animals to be bought over ,Im not sure I like that either. Ok so they are quarentined but still if they are outdoor cats they are a huge risk as are the ones here. But I have always said we need to have much stricter laws ( and actually policed) here already. Though cats have not so far been found to have exotic diseases ( as in the case of reptiles) I think EVERY cat should be microchipped and desexed!

a perfect example against being able to keep exotics is, i lost count of the amount of times fools on this site and other sites say " IVE LOST MY SNAKE", now lets imagine how many snakes are going to escape from inexperienced incompatant keepers? heaps, hundreds, possibly thousands, as mentioned by others, some will perish, but some will survive and breed, therefore competing against our own native reptiles, or worse preying on our native reptiles/animals, why would anyone want to keep an exotic when we already have the best snakes here anyhow? yes they have our species overseas, not because they can export them from Australia, NO, but they were either illegaly smuggled out, or were purchased as excess stock/hatchlings from Zooilogical institutes. Joe blo in America or Europe can not say i want this and that then legally export it from Australia, basically if you want an exotic move overseas.
cheers Matt

Though cats have not so far been found to have exotic diseases ( as in the case of reptiles)

Which disease are you referring to here. Interested to know which one has been unequivocally linked to exotics??????

i think it should be kept to only legally having natives, and double the fines/jail terms for those found with exotics

i only had a read of about the first 5 posts because otherwise i would be hear all night just reading and im sure iv seen it all said before.

imo NO! anyone with alittle bit of biology background even at a yr 10 level should know its BAD!!

!!!!did you know that red ear slider turts are one of only 2 reptiles in the world that are in the top 100 invasive species...IN THE WORLD!! and thats hear in australia!!!! considering the "low levels" of exotics in this country.... dont you think that allowing more would be the stupidiest thing our government could posibly do?....i sure as hell do!!

the only things they have over seas that we would mostly want here are corns, boas, balls and a few lizards species would take off!..... now think about their basic biology..... most either breed extremely easily or breed like mad (in the case of most boas giving live birth to many many babies!) we already have wild corn populations starting to take off!! why would we want more? they will outcompete our own species!!!

allowing it would surely DESTROY our ecosystem in many places and in many ways!!

hay offer me an exoti species anyday!!!!....i'll gladly take it.......straight home to the freezer!

I personally would see the fact that corn snakes and red ear sliders have populations as proof that our current system is not working.

I was going to read all of this thread, then decided it wld just get me riled up. So im just going to say:

Natives.

No way Exotics shld be allowed.

I shall say no more.

i can really see the temptation of the exotics, they're so pretty and yes they are over here all ready i encounter a lot of people keeping illegals through the pet shop i work in who adore their herps due to nature ect, but i still can't agree with their legalisation. we have such a unquie ecology in this country and although most keepers are responsible there will be escapes and releases and really probably all ready have been from illgeals. i could go on for pages about the potenial threat their increased presence in this country, not just because of predation but things like the gut bacterias they naturally have.
honestly i don't think they ever will be legalised anyway there's way too much reasons against it from an ecologists point of view.

If it was originally illegal it must have been for a good reason.

Introducing new species from one country (or continent) to another has never been successful (to the best of my knowledge).

Plus if people are going to import exotics, its only a matter of time before they do escape and start distrupting the eco system, which would be tradgic.

Weve messed up enough of the planet and there is no good reason to take the chance of making it worse just so you can say "ive got this".

Havent read all the posts so sorry if I'm repeating someone else.......... I live in Sydney and own two exotics, an olive and a scrub. My turtles and lizard are native though, so its all good.

Plus if people are going to import exotics, its only a matter of time before they do escape and start distrupting the eco system, which would be tradgic.

Well its already done, ppl have been and still are importing exotics, most likely without any quarantine.

I dont think anyone here would support bringing in exotics if they wernt already here, but to ignore the fact that they are here and available to anyone willing to break a weakly enforced law is just completely missing the point IMO.

this isnt or shouldnt be about "oh i like tortoises, so make them legal" IMO its more about how we can reduce the impact that these exotics have.

Still you have to like the logic behind a comment like "our natives are better" :lol:

If it was originally illegal it must have been for a good reason.

It was actually legal (in NSW at least, don't know about the rest) until about 10 years ago. Some
private keepers (very few) still have legal exotics on a special licence, they just can't breed them or anything.

Oh yeah, on the actual topic of the thread, some have said that they're here already on the black market so legalising them might reduce that element. Do you think that the people who import, breed and sell them here, knowing full well that it is illegal, are going to stop or "go legit" if it is legalised? Not necessarily, it will continue illegally anyway because there's always people who want to break the law, whether for fun or profit, so why make them more easily available?

I'd love a chameleon though :lol:

ok ill make some logic, say it we legalise the keeping of the species already in australia then there wouldnt be an issue because there already here but my point is if we legalise them remember there are different variations of colors found in the USA so people will still want to import. Also think about it not every single exotic species of animal is found here! if you legalise exotics pet stores and other pro breeders will still import (us private owners wouldnt as it would take too much out of our pockets) and still run the risk of introducing disease. i do see both sides i really do but we are only being selfish, Why run such big risks for a few extra gains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back