Is It Safe?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krissy78

Reaction score
I have treated my Water Pythons for mites with TOD but it seems they are still full of them, is it safe to treat them again after a few days and can the TOD be sprayed onto them or onto my hands to be rubbed on them.:?

You need to just mist the cage and create a cloud in there. Make sure their water bowls are removed. I've replaced their water the next day after everything has settled, and then change it daily for a week just to be safe.

And yes, it is safe to do it again. I wouldn't spray it directly onto your snakes though, maybe others might, but I wouldn't think its necessary IMHO.

TOD is only part of a complete action plan in treating mites. You will need to clean out the enclosure completely and frequently. Spray the inside of the enclosure with TOD without the snake in there. Then add a very large water bowl (picture a snake bath tub) to allow the snake to completely submerse it's whole body.

The water and the substrate should be changed every 1 or 2 days. Probably spray the enclosure with TOD every 4 or so days.

Make sure to check your other snakes too :)

You need to just mist the cage and create a cloud in there. Make sure their water bowls are removed. I've replaced their water the next day after everything has settled, and then change it daily for a week just to be safe.

And yes, it is safe to do it again. I wouldn't spray it directly onto your snakes though, maybe others might, but I wouldn't think its necessary IMHO.
thanks this is what i did, hopefully it works i will continue treatment until i am sure they are all gone... thankfully my other snakes are mite free

i would be contacting whom ever the infected snakes came from balling them out and informing them they will be receiving a bill for the cost of how many ever cans of TOD it takes to get rid of the mites, if the refuse to reimburse you then you have no other option to SHAME THEM on every herp site you can think of, remove water bowl, leave snakes in spray a really good amount to fog out the enclosure, leave snakes in there, next day replace water , then 24 hrs later remove water, fog out enclosure again, then next day put water back again, wait a week then repeat a few more times, it is very important you keep the infected snakes well away from your clean snakes, mites can travel at least 18 metres in 24 hrs, and can smell snakes so they no exactly where to go. hope this helps.
PS get onto the butthole you got these infected snakes from!!
cheers Matt

i would be contacting whom ever the infected snakes came from balling them out and informing them they will be receiving a bill for the cost of how many ever cans of TOD it takes to get rid of the mites, if the refuse to reimburse you then you have no other option to SHAME THEM on every herp site you can think of, remove water bowl, leave snakes in spray a really good amount to fog out the enclosure, leave snakes in there, next day replace water , then 24 hrs later remove water, fog out enclosure again, then next day put water back again, wait a week then repeat a few more times, it is very important you keep the infected snakes well away from your clean snakes, mites can travel at least 18 metres in 24 hrs, and can smell snakes so they no exactly where to go. hope this helps.
cheers Matt

I would do this if I thought the snakes were infected when I got them, however before putting them into their enclosure I thoroughly examined them and found no evidence of a mite infestation, therefore the only place I can think they may have come from is a place where i looked at some MD hatchies... At I home I do not handle other snakes without first thoroughly cleaning my hands and using Repti Hand. My snakes do not go onto the floor and if I take them outdoors I do not put them on the lawn... So my guess is at some point I have goofed and infected the poor things myself... After writing all that I just remembered as soon as I put them in their enclosure they submerged in their water bowl, so perhaps they did have em and I just didn't look properly.

cheers Matt

Before we get together a lynch mob how about we consider other possible transfer mechanisms for snake mite. You will find in some of my other posts that IMO people downplay the risks of handling other peoples reptiles and conversely downplay the risk of having other people handle yours.

mites are also found around the eye socket and in the skin gap on the chin, also because you didnt see moving mites on your snakes does not mean there wasnt mite eggs present on the snake, also just because you wash your hands does not mean you have got rid of all and any mites on you, mites can sit on your clothes, jumper, jeans, shirt, shoes and climb of near another enclosure and infect other snakes, but most likely it came from who you got the snakes from, also destroy the bag the snake came in as this probably contains mites and mite eggs also.
cheers Matt

I would do this if I thought the snakes were infected when I got them, however before putting them into their enclosure I thoroughly examined them and found no evidence of a mite infestation, therefore the only place I can think they may have come from is a place where i looked at some MD hatchies... At I home I do not handle other snakes without first thoroughly cleaning my hands and using Repti Hand. My snakes do not go onto the floor and if I take them outdoors I do not put them on the lawn... So my guess is at some point I have goofed and infected the poor things myself... After writing all that I just remembered as soon as I put them in their enclosure they submerged in their water bowl, so perhaps they did have em and I just didn't look properly.

Ah you got in before me. Kudos on admitting fault in this case, something many people aren't too good at instead choosing to find the first person they can to blame.

Before we get together a lynch mob how about we consider other possible transfer mechanisms for snake mite. You will find in some of my other posts that IMO people downplay the risks of handling other peoples reptiles and conversely downplay the risk of having other people handle yours.

but she would have noticed mites when there was only a few, not all of a sudden here snakes are covered in mites, like i say they most likely came from whom she got the snakes from, that would be the most likely explanation. why are mites only on her waters as well? all of her other snakes would also show signs of infection, not just the waters!!
cheers Matt

yeah there is definately none on any of the other snakes so I don't know... This is the first time I have encountered a mite problem so right now any opinions and ideas would be great, maybe this way I can avoid risk to the rest of my snakes... As I would hate for that to occur... This really is my own fault as I should have inspected them more closely when I got them if in fact they did come from the guy I got em from. I also have other pets, so no doubt any number ways infection could have occured

I should probably say upon examining my snakes properly i found what I thought was mites was actually black bits from the layer of colouring on their water bowl... Am very glad I did not out the person I purchased the snake from for nothing. Thanks to all people who offered ideas they will be very useful if i do encounter mite problems in the future.

I think something similar... It was the Ultimate water bowl, i think made of a poly resin or something with a rock looking finish.

waters seem to be harder to get rid of mites with tod.try using permoxin if tod does'nt work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back