pig hunting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reece89

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey me and my brother are after going pig hunting in the next couple of weeks we r in the greta south east qld and does any one no good pig hunting spots he has 2 bull mastifs and a staffy any help would be awsome and how much money would u get for a pig and wats the best gun to get on his licence
cheers reece:D ;)

Geez, reece.

Why not go out side and find a bee hive, walk right into it, and then punch it. I think you'd get a friendlier reply from the bees.

Mate just a heads up, there a a few 'tree huggin hippy' types here and the thought of someone going pig hunting is sure to stirr some comments.

Me, i couldn't care less. good luck.

i have a few places i go and have heaps of great hunting.try western hunting they have places

Mate wouldn't know how much someone would pay you for one, to me it's not worth the bother. Sorry don't believe in using dogs for many reasons so i use 22-250 for out to about 200 meters for pigs.
Are you aware there's a 28 day wait for a permit to aquire a weapon?

I have a mate who takes his Staffy out - never for pigs though - it will get eaten alive...

I would also be careful with your Bull Mastiffs, they are built for strength, not stamina - and they will need plenty of stamina against pigs, watch out that they don't dehydrate...

Let us know how you go anyway - but I still reckon steer clear of the dogs...

Yeah if you dont know anyone you might have to pay to go hunting. In Qld we can only hunt on private property.

As for the gun it depends what you want really and how much you have to spend.

Unless you are goin to get into it professionally it isnt really practical to sell them due to the strict requirements. I think they usually get between $1-2 a kg for pigs depending on market prices.

if you are only using 22-250 as a weapon you might as well pick up a stone and throw it at it

Geez, reece.

Why not go out side and find a bee hive, walk right into it, and then punch it. I think you'd get a friendlier reply from the bees.

Mate just a heads up, there a a few 'tree huggin hippy' types here and the thought of someone going pig hunting is sure to stirr some comments.

Me, i couldn't care less. good luck.

spot on mate, i live in remote SA and regularly kill foxs and cats, i mentioned it once and was set on like half a tuna at a shark convention, yes there seems to be a lot of tree hugging, vegetable eating, freaks and weirdos on this site, but you must remember they never leave there safety zone of the city and wouldnt no what to do if placed out of comfort zone, yes i own guns, yes i pay my taxes and im a proud WHITE australian.
cheers Matt

Yee Haar Matt.

And after we go shoot some ferral animals, we can go sit in a bus shelter and talk to people, or drive our cars like 'hoons' of even feed a dead animal to a snake, ooooh i'm feeling bad just thinking about it.

That'll surely give the old fuddy duddies some thing to chat about.

Sorry all but this is a reptile site, i never thought i'd say it, but there is too much crap being discussed.

Sorry all but this is a reptile site, i never thought i'd say it, but there is too much crap being discussed.

Except of course that this is the 'Chit Chat' forum...designed, I would imagine, for the topics that don't go into the Reptile forums...should we also removed the For Sale - Non Herp Related forum...??

Yep no worries Aslan.

Perhaps we should start a "have been here since breakfast and have umpteen thousand posts already" forum.

Or perhaps we can start a " i'll winge about something that i can really not do anything about, but it makes me feel better to make others aware of my problems" forum.

I'm all for the chit chat forum, it's a great way to discuss 'things' in general, but perhaps it some times leans towards a **** chat forum....

as the old saying goes with pet pigs and chooks never give a name to something that u might have to eat (at christmas). well in this case never love any of those dogs to much cause they might be killed by razor sharp set of tusks ouch

Perhaps we should start a "have been here since breakfast and have umpteen thousand posts already" forum.

Or perhaps we can start a " i'll winge about something that i can really not do anything about, but it makes me feel better to make others aware of my problems" forum.

I'm all for the chit chat forum, it's a great way to discuss 'things' in general, but perhaps it some times leans towards a **** chat forum....

Oh, the irony.

try a 243. or a nice 308 pigs just dont drop that easy!!!
and if your taking your dogs out and they aren't trained i would get them a vest most of your
gun ho boy mags have heaps advertised in them.
You might want to invest in something a bit faster as well, a mastiff and a staffy are great to pull them down but they have to be able to catch them first.
Im guessing its your first time... maybe ask some one to go with you thats done it before its not as easy as taking a dog and a gun and killing a pig or 2.

I got one with a 303 the other day, but that's only because I saw it before the dogs got to it, usually when using dogs they will get there first and you won't be able to shoot it without hitting your dog's so you have to stab them.

A 303 will go straight through a pig, quite effective in killing them, I wouldn't go any smaller then a 223

Interesting...................

why? Everyone spends so much time being politically correct now days cant say this its bad it offends the blacks the jews or the gay people ( my boss is a lesbian and so my fav saying thats gay instead of thats cr@p is all over red rover).
If you have a culture other then white australian its cool to be proud of it... why is it interesting to be a proud white australian. it doesnt make him a bad person or a racist. it mkes him proud to be himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back