please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie manda

Reaction score
hay guys im asking advice for a close mate. he owns a female jungle whos 22 - 23 months old 4.5 feet and he is feeding her 3 meduim rats every 14 - 16 days after this feed she has quite a wide belly to me it does not look confortable though he insists shes fine. he is about to start condtioning her, a local breeder has told him to start conditioning her but feeding her one large rat every 3 weeks. though i believe he should feed her 3 - 4 small rats every 7 - 10 days though he thinks im wrong please give me some advice

thanx .... manda :)

i do belive ur so called friend has a thread up asking the same question.........

i believe he should buy his own snake, quarintine it for 12 months then breed them next season, not use a snake that comes from a different source altogether, can we say OPMV, IBD, reovirus, retrovirus. why risk any snake for the sake of breeding?

i believe he should buy his own snake, quarintine it for 12 months then breed them next season, not use a snake that comes from a different source altogether, can we say OPMV, IBD, reovirus, retrovirus. why risk any snake for the sake of breeding?

i agree 100 % there. i would never use someone elses snake for breeding. i would buy then quarantine as well.....

we will consider that option, their are a few athertons we are interested in thanks, though we are still wondering about the feeding is it the right amout or too much

3 medium rats is a hell of a lot of food for a 4.5ft snake.
How big a rat does he class as medium? For me that means 150 grams.

yes thats exactly what my dad and i have both said and yes the weight is roughtly 150 would 3 small rats be better???

i agree 100 % there. i would never use someone elses snake for breeding. i would buy then quarantine as well.....

great minds think alike! there will definitly be people who say, why not, go ahead it will be fine, but unless its your own snake you never really no everything about it, or what other snakes its been in contact with.

i dont have any piks on this comp though my avitar has a pik of her, wen i can get to my lap top i can post some

I'd be feeding one largish medium rat every 7 to 10 days but thats just me, there's no one right answer.

1 Large rat every 3 week's sounds O.K to me, If mine are taking 2 or more of a size each feed I bump them up to the next size. Feeding every 7-10 days should only be done with hatches for the first 6-8 months. after they are into juvenile size I would be spacing the feeding further apart, and as adults every 21 - 28 days.

yes thats exactly what my dad and i have both said and yes the weight is roughtly 150 would 3 small rats be better???

Definitely drop that to one medium rat per feed. Normally my adult jungles get fed every 3 weeks or so, but to build them up (assuming they are a a bit slim) increase the feeds to weekly for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back