How to feed a baby tree snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jindavik

Reaction score
I have a baby tree snake that I rescued about four weeks ago (feb 15th). It hasn't eaten yet. Tried small skinks, tadpoles in dish and small froglet, but no luck. Is it too young for live feed.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_3492.jpg
    Copy of IMG_3492.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 210
rescued or removed? Fine line between that.... if you don't have a license to hold snakes, especially wild caught ones, you're breaking the law and you're doing more damage to the snake than good. Especially handling it like you are.

Either give it to a vet, a proper wildlife handler or re-release it to nature.

This type of thread starts up way too often... it makes me wonder just how many people remove aussie native wildlife for their own benefits, even with good intentions it's harming our wildlife.

You are breaking quite a few laws(i realise you may not have known that). It is good that you are asking for advice but the only advice i can give is to let it go near where you got it from, it looks perfectly healthy in the pic but if you keep holding it like that it might not be for long(they can trash about and get seriously damaged easily).
If it isnt eating its because you are stressing it out too much.

You are best off getting a licence and legally aquiring one. They are awesome snakes, but its better to keep legally if you have a real interest in reptiles.

Live feeding them isnt illegal(if needed), but feeding it protected animals is in most states is as is removing to start with generally the penalty can be up to a years jail and/or $10 000 fine.

They also almost always carry parasites from eating frogs.

you made a big mistake by taking that snake home. i hope you dont have any snake's in captivity as if they come into contact they can deliver a deadly disease that could kill you whole collection and also your captive snakes could affect the wild snake and wipe out a whole species if released back into the wild. the epa do take this offence very
serious and could fine you lost of money. could even fine you up to 75.000 just to make an example as this is very serious to our wild life that is deminishing by the minute.
go the right way about it and let parks and wild life know about this as you could be already in a lot of trouble. i wish you good luck and also a lesson learnt.

Mate,

I am not sure what 'elapid@' was smoking when he made that last post...

Refer to Cris' post - it tells you everything you needed to know - with the benefit of making sense and being correct...

where are you located?? if its in the toowoomba region pm me , i have about 5 friends who are licensed snake catchers, they have had a few of these babies in the last week or so

Assuming that you have a legitimate reason for rescuing it and keeping it in care (without it feeding) for for this length of time... You can try some live fish in a dish of water. Leave the fish in with the snake long enough for the snake to notice them, but not long enough for the fish to die of hypoxia/stress/whatever.

You might want to check the legalities of feeding live fish to a snake in your state beforehand.

Stewart

hey why is everyone jumping to conclusions?

maybe jindavik has a rescuers licence (or whatever theyre called)
maybe he is a WIRES member
maybe he knows more than you all think!

jmho

SHADE

Its illegal to keep it to start with, 4 weeks is a fairly long time for one to go without eating. If you let it go it will be fine, but the longer you keep it the worse it is for the snake.

jmho

SHADE

i think every one is concerened because he is a new member, there in nothing known about him, what license etc he holds, it would be a real shame for parks and wild life to do a ramdom house check and for all hell to come crashing down, plus they are a finiky snake at the best of times, and i would hate to see a collection destroyed from an outside bug,

i hope for his sake and snakes he has all the correct licenses, and i'm sure he has

jmho

SHADE
Well he should know you don't play with rescued animals, it's now prey and jindaviks the predator. Won't do wonders for it's appetite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back