MItes on Jungle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x.RandomHero.x

Banned
Reaction score
Hey i recently notice a couple of little black bugs and tiny greyish bugs on ym snake when i get him out. He is only a hatchy and im guessin the bugs are mites. So i was just wondering if i buy some Top Of Descent how do you use it and should i change theh substrate to newspaper and quarantine my snake til problem is gone? Thank You for all your help every Reply is Appreciated

Cheers Daniel

hey mate good decission tod is the best stuff dont take any chances quaranteen him in a spare room as mites will spread very quickly take out the water bowl for at least 24 hours then lightly spray the cage with snake and equipment still inside will kill all mites its great stuff important to use just a light spray as to much can harm ure snakes respatory system

Imo

IMO I would clean the cage right out and discard the substrate. Remove the water bowl, tape up the enclosure vents and spray in the TOD. I would place the snake in a small container and do the same. Let the TOD do it's trick.

I would then replace the substrate with your choice of substrate and water bowl after all vaopurs have disperssed.

;)

TOD is the way to go, definitely quarantine the snake and you will have to treat any other snakes that have been in contact with it or the cage as well.
Remove the water bowl and spray the enclosure with the snake in it, repeat in 3-5 days and then again in another 3-5 days. Paper substrate is also a good idea, throw away or burn whatever is in there at the moment.

oh ok thanks for that guys.. yea i heard alot of people use TOD so i thought i might get that.. i let ya know the outcome asap

yea i have this coles substrate it like breeders choice but it looks more natural so yea i like burn it. i will take a pic of the enclosure for yas now should b a pic within 10min . and thanks for the info on how to use TOD

Looks nice and neat

What is the name of the substrate and which shop did you buy it from. Does'nt look too bad.

Its from COLES and it their own brand. i take a pic of the bag for ya.

Attachments

• P1010086.jpg
    P1010086.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 37
  • P1010087.jpg
    P1010087.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 39
As long as you remove water you can spray whole cabinet/encolsure/tub whatever our snake is in. Replace any substrate and leave your snake in there so she/he is treated too.
Hope you sort your prob. Choppy : )

TOD does not kill mite eggs (as far as i know nothing does without killing the snake) If you treat every 12 days for four lots of 12 days you will kill hatching mites before they reach sexual maturity. Therefore will not produce more eggs. Discard all substrate and leave the water bowl out for 24 hours after treatment.Good luck.

plenty of info on this

search mites on this site and you will get some great info...hang on...i wrote a 2 page thing on the blood sucking buggers

Be careful though, if your snake is to young it could kill him, some advice from breeder on here. Just curious as who you got your jungle from? Mine had the same when I got him...

Kane

i got mine from a guy in parramatta if that where you got yours from i think his name was dave he was very helpful though said i could call anytime if trouble and he worked with an aquarium type place

Probably not, not going to treat him yet because he is to small. May use some hyposis mites though, they seem like a good option.

Kane

ok im goin to buy the tod tomorrow hopefully the pet store has it. then take out the substrate and water bowl. spray enclosure and equipment inside.

oh ok well mine is really small and young too so could i just spray the enclosure and not him? if that would help at all .

You would still have the mites on the snake. I only use TOD on snakes over 6months. Search Hypoaspis mites. I will try to find a link on where they sell them.

Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back