Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmikk

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what people prefer to use as a substrate (or lining) on the floor of their snake enclosures.

marine carpet, easy to clean and reasonably priced to get a metre or so! We get the finer grade stuff as it isn't abrasive as the courser one feels and it tends to fray less. AND we don't have to replace it as often as other substrate.

newspaper or butchers paper, best by a county mile. If enough layers are used it also makes for the best hide you could provide for your snakes.

i also use newspaper, but i would love anybody to sugest anything eles cause i hate they way it looks, yeah its easy to clean but i want my cage to look pretty :)
so any tips on anything eles that looks good and is easy to clean would be great.

newspaper or butchers paper, best by a county mile. If enough layers are used it also makes for the best hide you could provide for your snakes.

Yes it definately is the best practical hide you can have for them, especially when used with floor heating, putting flat or squashed boxes in between the paper and/or roughing up the edges will make it easier for them to get under it.

marine carpet/ newspaper/ paper towel and lino... the easiest is the newspaper. eventually they will all have newspaper. not very attractive but when u get to many to clean out its quick and easy

Has anyone persisted with a natural looking substrate like Stringbean is referring too and found it suitable??

Stringbean - I have heard it can get caought up in the cloaca even if you dont feed on it.
Yes I am using an all natural ground up coconut shell substrate - it looks very much like dirt abut bigger pieces (not like sand). I like the look and think it is worth the extra effort. I spot clean and then every month or so (am planning to as just finished new tank) vacuum it out and start again. I have not noticed it anywhere here but I bought it originally from Kellyville Pets in Sydney. It comes in dehydrated bricks which you then add water too - 1 brick gives A LOT more substrate then you think it will. Squeeze it out and let it dry for a day or so in an airy place. I wouldnt feed on it though. ALso having only one snake makes it easier.

Hope this helps

i used bark when i got my first snake. i wouldnt highly recomend it, particuarly if u have lots of snakes and not enough time for cleaning. i use to spot clean and that once a month clean the whole thing out and start again like serpentlady said, but i found that it got really smelly and all the pee would just got straight to the bottom and stain the glass. needless to say i gave up on that after 4months and now use newspaper.
is that marine grass like a green grass sheet made out of like plastic? i have seen stuff like that in the local petstore and was wondering if anyone had tryed it?

If it's a desert species than keep it on sand. If its arboreal than probably newspaper/butchers paper. There is no right or wrong answer. A woma/blackhead for example would be right at home on red desert sand substrate and it would be perfectly safe. However, if they are not usually found on sand then i would advise against it as it may cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back