Ceramic Heat Emmitters VS Globes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slip_phreak

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was Just wondeirng what the general consensus is when it comes to chosing the use of a Ceramic heat emmitter or heat globes in {ython Viv's. Personally i have always used globes but am interested in what other people use and why.
-Paul

Ceramic heat emitters last an extremely long time and emit no light. These are the main two reasons they are preferred.

What about in terms of actual heat output in comparison to a globe, are they more efficient or anything? or is it just that they emit no light and have long life.

I'm considering making the switch, one of the advantages of globes however is that (at least with a dimming thermostat) you can tell when it's blown

I have found that if you have a lot of ventilation on the top of the enclosure, the ceramics don't do as well as globes

I use both, I believe ceramics are more efficient then globes and obviously last longer. They can also be used at night without interrupting the day/night cycle. And can be used with a pulse thermo while globes can't.
Globes also put out light which may be a positive or negative depending on how use of them. Globes are also cheaper to purchase initially and can be quickly bought and replaced when blown.

i switched over to ceramics as i was sick and tired of changing globes all the time
with the amount of globes that where blowing the ceramics would have paid for themselves by now
for heat output you can get higher wattage ceramics than you can globes
and i would highly recommend putting a guard over a ceramic as they can get very hot and could cause really bad burns

ceramics MUST BE CAGED they get so hot (oil inside) that they leave scares on the thickest human tissue when touched let alone what they do to snakes! ive seen blind in one eyed-scar faced deformed looking poor snakes from this! remember: your snake is long....it CAN reach it! even if accidentally...a globe will get hot too but the animal can get away reletively unscathed. HOWEVER a heat coil (ceramic globe) will actually (and ive seen it happen) make you stick to it!~

I use UV lights for daytime(on timers) and ceramics on thermostat to control the temps. I was using heat globes before, but as previous, got sick of replacing every 1 or 2 months. ceramics going 6 months now and still going,as far as im concerned, already got their money worth.

I have a ceramic globe, its been going for 2.5 yrs now and hasnt blown. Well worth it.

lol, I don't think they are oil heated, imo they are an element surrounded by ceramic.
I would recomend a dimmer themostat to run a ceramic, a pulse thermostat takes a litlle longer to heat up giving you a fair bit of varience and therefore no more efficient than a globe if not more expensive to run.
Spend the extra cash, by a dimmer and a ceramic, in 2 years it will pay for itself.

I've bought a few different brands of ceramic globes and found none of them to last any longer than your average globe, they just cost an arm and a leg!

I've even bought two that never even heated up once, $80 or so down the toilet right there!

Can any of you people who say ceramics last for years tell me which brand you use?

If you're using a dimmer a lot of the savings are counteracted by the fact that globes last a lot longer on a dimmer. I've got globes that have been running for about 15months on a dimmer and still going strong.

None the less I am still looking at ceramics to provide better diurnal cycles, I've found some globes a little less red then others.

I'm also quite sure there is no oil contained in them, spray a hot one with cold water and you'll quickly find this out as they will crack if sprayed with water. One of my considerations on using them will be the issue of removing them for cage cleaning because of this.

Do a good enough job of shattering one and you'll see, a mate who was using it for turtles found out the hard way :)

Could depend on the brand though (hows that for fence sitting :) )

i was using globes on a dimming thermo and went through heaps of them last winter before i changed over to ceramics they have been in for a year now and still going good

i was told that it is a element like a stove top inside

Rennie, I use OZ blacks and OZ whites, I myself have never ad any troubles with them. Nor has anyone I have sold them to, if they did have trouble I wouldn't hesitate to replace them as I am confident with them.

Depends on the globes I suppose, theres good and bad in all of them. Some seem to last longer than others. Some brands do well one time and then the next are different again.

If it was filled with oil it would crackle when it is heating up.

I think your on the money Robbo, I think they are exactly like an oven element.

I use ceramics in 1 bank of 4 enclosures and find the bulbs get extremely hot (as a few have stated already) and the ceramics aren't lasting much longer than the 25 watt blue globes.

I am using Trueblue's method of heating in another bank of 4 enclosures (which is pegboard back wall with division in the middle and 25 watt blue globes in one side on all day with no thermostat) and the globes are lasting quite a while. I will be converting the first bank to Trueblue's method as well, when I get some spare time and cash.

They are a heating element, no oil involved, I thought they lasted many many years? I have only been using for several months with no probs.

I also find the relector globes from coles last a long time, at least 6 months and that is with a on/off thermo.

My reflector globes that r on for 12 hours a day, no thermo are only lasting about 2 months :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back