black headed python temperament

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timma

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all , do the bhp have good temperaments
I've been told they are aggresive but i would like to know from people that own bhp's what the temperament of the bhp's they own are like. I'd love to get one but i want a python that i can handle
Thanks to everyone

Mine aren't really aggressive. They will hiss and strike with their mouth closed when you disturb them in their enclosure, but once they are out they are puppy dogs - it's all bluff.

We have one that is an absolute baby, never even looked like striking, and one that will always try to bluff until he is out of his enclosure.

BHP's are the most placid snake out there, never looked like getting bitten by one of them.

My big boy bit me once, he held on for 15mins and felt like he was going to rip my finger off (strong lock-jaw bite + constricted arm) but that was my fault, i forgot to wash my hands after patting the dog.
other than that my 2 BHPs are as cuddly as kittens, as long as your clean of all food smells!

My blackheads are up there with the tamest non aggressive snakes I have owned. Just wash ya hands before you pick em up , haha

i just recently got a BHP, he is amazing just like every one else has said he is hissy in his tank but all his shows are bluff, once out hes a puppy

to sum up the thread timma.
Most are fantastic, some are cage defensive, a few bluff and the odd one will try and eat you:p

I asked the same question about a month ago and got nothing but praise for the bhp's temprement. The few that I've handled in my search for one have been absolutely fantastic!!

I was at the Australian Reptile Park on the weekend watching the snake show and the handler was saying that bhp's are "always agro and pugnacious" and they don't grow out of it!!! I think it must have been a scare tactic woo the crowd into thinking he was cheating death by letting it hide in his shirt?!!

I've only had positive feedback about bhp's in general. Get one!!

Well going off my BHP who I've had for quite some time now he is the most placid snake I own. I have so much trust in him I will even let little kids hold him without hesitation. He has never tried to eat me and they are very predictable with there actions. I can get my boy out of his enclosure without any hooks etc as long as he knows I'm there he's fine. But like everyone else said they have a strong feeding response so if you smell like rat or something simular expect to be bitten, also don't handle them when there eating as they stay in food mode for a while after eating. Other than that definetly if your thinking of one they are on my list the best snake to own,specially for anyone nervice.

Allana :)

after 27yrs, I am still to be bitten by a bhp. I have picked up large wild bhp's and apart from a bit of bluffing and the odd wack on the arm with a closed mouth, I am yet to see a truly agressive one. I do not deny that they exist and there are plenty of people that have been bitten but I would bet the majority of people that have been tagged by bhp's were tagged mostly by juveniles or the result of feeding mishaps. I personally would label them one of the most placid python species.

Im so jelous of the BHP and Woma keepers, i want them now daddy!!

Woma's are another fairly placid snake although they do have good and bad days were as the BHPs seem to put up with a great deal. My BHP sat here one night with me and a few friends for 4 hours being handled and passed around and he didn't care one bit. Even with the nervous one's he didn't mind at all. He's a great snake and I've turned so many people around that hate pythons by letting them hold him and they all go home wanting a snake:)

Mine are exactly the same as everyone elses by the sound of this. If they know your there, cool.
If you frighten them they strike out with a closed mouth and hiss etc, if you smell like food or stick your hand in the cage to early after dinner time they bite.
I have found them very easy to read their moods and when they switch on its pretty obvious body language, so you wait it out and theres no probs.
I'll sell you hatchy / pair in 2.5 years!

mine is a big puppy dog, he is the best snake i have ever owned. I really don't think he knows he is a snake.

I have many of these beautiful creatures! Both adults and hatchies. It's true they rarely bite but their is always an exception to the rule. It's correct that they do stay in feeding mode for a long while after a feed this is the main time you get chewed, or when they simply haven't been fed when they are hungry. Particularly in the Autumn when preparing for winter breeding.

I have one 9ft adult names SOS (spawn of satan) who will leap out of the enclosure 3ft evry time to get you. This is the exception. She calms down after 10 mins of handling. She lives in a cage that is permenantly cloaked as so she doesn't damage her face.

I'm looking for a matching male with a ridiculous attitude to pair her with. So I can produce great first snakes lol!

big pus sy cats unless your a rat at feed time, then they are impressive to watch, the BHP is my 2 and 1/2 years favourite snake, just remember you won't be able to stop at one :)

have u seen a cat go a rat its sweeeeeet

Mine aren't really aggressive. They will hiss and strike with their mouth closed when you disturb them in their enclosure, but once they are out they are puppy dogs - it's all bluff.

Mine are the same - extremely placid once out of the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back