putting snakes together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidE

Reaction score
hey guys,
I have a spotted female and want to know if I can put a male in with her to live?
For that matter can different pythons live together successfully?
Thanks for your help
David

imo its best not to keep them in the same enclosure, others will say otherwise.
cheers.:)

This is a topic that has been discussed many times. Some snakes, particularly olives, have tendency to eat other snakes. Some snakes eat smaller snakes.
Many of my snakes are happy together, however most snakes that i have together have been that way since hatchie size. There are exceptions. You never know for sure what will work and what risk you take.
Besides, you should quarantine all new animals for at least 3 months. I tend to introduce them slowly, and then after 6 or 7 months see if they will live together.

Different species together would be a flat out no, I'd say.

Housing the same species together, though, can be done, but it is definately not reccomemended. There is a risk of the two snakes fighting and hurting each other. They could even eat each other if one is smaller than the other.

If they are the same size then the answer is a 'maybe'. If you a willing to take the risk, that is.

There are people on this site who have done it successfully before, so maybe they can offer some advice.

By the way, what species of pythons are we talking about?

Hi David,

Have you done a search on this topic? There have been a number of threads regarding keeping snakes together.

after reading about someone who'd had his diamonds living together fro 7 years, and then came home to 1 fat diamond, theres no way i'd risk it,...

after reading about someone who'd had his diamonds living together fro 7 years, and then came home to 1 fat diamond, theres no way i'd risk it,...

:shock:

No, I don't think I would risk it either!

I would say a def No.

I kept a breeding pair of carpets together for years, then one day the female snapped and grabed the male by the head, then all i had was about 12 combined feet of python in a tight ball i was lucky i was there to see it happen.
I dont know if she would have eaten him but she def would have killed him.

donk

wow, thanks for the quick replies, I have a spotted python that looks a bit like Gills pic. She is about 6-8 monyhs old. Her names JAMILLA. Anyway wanted to get a male to put with her, oh I know she has some growing to do before mating but wanted them to grow together. My tank is big enough for both. Right now i have a little nobby dragon in there. He wont hurt her and is too big to be attacked. Will do a search on the topic now, should have thought of that.

WHAT?? you have a nobby dragon in with your spotted?

seperate them NOW.

donk

Haha! Yup! Right on Australis! Lizards are snakes natural diet!

I definitely know that 2 boys should not be put together during breeding season. It'd probably be fun to watch for a while, but probably not fun when they start ripping into each other!!

wow, thanks for the quick replies, I have a spotted python that looks a bit like Gills pic. She is about 6-8 monyhs old. Her names JAMILLA. Anyway wanted to get a male to put with her, oh I know she has some growing to do before mating but wanted them to grow together. My tank is big enough for both. Right now i have a little nobby dragon in there. He wont hurt her and is too big to be attacked. Will do a search on the topic now, should have thought of that.

Someone get this man a flame suit :|

Really bad idea, I'd agree with the other replys, separate immediately.

Two pythons can be kept together depending on species. But like everyone else said not recomended due to them being known for no reason to eat or kill the other but for health issues as well. For start as your new snake should be quaranteened for at least 6months 12 better and when kept together if one gets sick with say Respitory infection, mites etc then the other is shore to follow. So it would be more worth your while seperating. And yes take the lizard out or visa versa.

Allana :)

Plenty of people keep spotteds together with no worries, but definitely get the dragon out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back