Rat Breeding cages

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mase

Reaction score
hey guys does any one know where i can get my hands on a couple of cheap rat breading cages ?

the 50 dollar ones is what id need to breed rats hey ?

Go buy some plastic tubs for about $8 and put some mesh/heavy style fly screen in it, heaps cheaper.

old bath tubs are imo the best thing to breed rats in, those tubs tend to grow fat unhealthy rats as they get no exersize, whereas bath tubs enable them to exersize as much as they want and stay lean and healthy.

Yeah go for a bathtub or other large cage. You will get healthier and happier rats and it is actually easier to keep clean.

i made my own tubs...but make sure the tubs have all smooth edges!!!
if they can get their teeth into some sort of corner then they will chew straight through it,
thats what happened to me but ive baught some with all smooth edges and made lids out of avery mesh and old bits of wood
works a treat......go to bunnings and get it all there

wouldn't the rats be better fat for your snakes, they can't run fast, and the snake don't need more than one to make it satisfied. I was breeding rats for a bit untill I gave up and I just used those large tubs from Bunnings or Crazy claks but I did learn that if you don't want ants to get into the containers that you can use the lids you get with them, put them under the tub and fill the gaps with water ants wont go anywhere near it. also if u drill holes in the sides for ventalation make them high so the rats can't chew there way out. or make a window on the side of the tub place chicken wire on the side or fly screen and cover the edges with a metal frame and bolt it on so the rats can't chew around the plastic. get some water bottals and ever else you want. oh and if you get those bags of hey from the petshops they'll last about 2 months + and every week when you go to clean them out, its really good for your gardens or vegy patch.

cheers Jody

Captive snakes fed on high fat meals die, things usch as fatty liver etc. some species are more prone to trouble such as BHPs(normal only eat low fat reptiles in the wild).

Another reason to give the rats a decent area is so you arnt being cruel to them.

Mase this is how I house my breeding rats and mice they are kept on a sturdy shelf outside. And these are easy to do and cheap also.

Attachments

• DSC00632.jpg
    DSC00632.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 121
  • Rat Tub.jpg
    Rat Tub.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 157
yeah thats basically how ive got mine aswell
besdies those commercial rat breedin cages are expensive and small

Yea something like what $50 a tub that can house about 10 mice or 6 rats too small but with my cages its cheap and easy It dont take much to clean out and its breathable so it dont smell. Them pics are old I have over 6 tubs now with two males to 3-4 females and same with the mice.... Fun Fun Fun lol

My mum doesnt seem to think they're funfunfun!!!!

LOL ive been breeding rats and mice for 4 yrs and my son enjoys playing with them when im cleaning out tubs so fun fun fun for him lol but my cats always stalk the door with paws trying to swipe under the door....claws n all :|

lol simone you saw my set up when I had over 7 pregnant females and one mum still had 11 babies fuzies and 7 male weeners and 5 Female weeners and one adult male and a white young male. **** it was a growing system and a good one too but then there where heeps of very hot days, and females where giving birth and ants kill half of my babies and females unfortunitly and I had bad luck all the way after that. Remember how many tubs I had and those cages I gave you. and them it took forever to get back to that stage I was almost there and whent on holidays a mate looked after them came home and there was one female out of 5 pregnant females left and only 2 babies and one male. I found out 2 days ago that a preggy female escaped in the shed so I am guessing there is quite a few in there now I am trying to catch, any one have a good idea for a rat trap? sorry for taking over the thread.

cheers Jody

Mase. I see you are in parramatta. you should send a private message to Hsana from the bankstown area on this site. I buy my rat cages and mice cages from him. They are heaps cheaper than the herp shop etc and come with water bottles too. He is good to deal with and has frozen rats and mice cheaper than you can grow them yourself for when you get sick of the smell

cheers

Well jody you had your rats out the the shed and not always the door was open they need air to breath. And where you had them of course there were ants... I've not had a problem with ants during the hot days mine were in the spare room that we use for things that we dont use with a fan to keep them cool.. Female rats that you had went through stress its probably why they started dying...

Mase. I see you are in parramatta. you should send a private message to Hsana from the bankstown area on this site. I buy my rat cages and mice cages from him. They are heaps cheaper than the herp shop etc and come with water bottles too. He is good to deal with and has frozen rats and mice cheaper than you can grow them yourself for when you get sick of the smell

cheers

i cant find him how is his/her username spelt ... cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back