how to destroy our dearly beloved ..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried the tail pulling thing but with young rats the tail comes off :|

when they are pink you dont need to do that, their spine is so fragile your fingernail to the back is usually enough

Eep. All sounds so gross.

Can't you just pop them in the freezer? They'll get really chilly and then drift into a deep sleep..?

At the base of their head?

yeah - for grip/support hold their back legs and tail area....not to tightly and use either fingernail or finger (kind or roll the finger) pressure to just pop it - you don't need to much pressure with mice but more for rats

Can't you just pop them in the freezer? They'll get really chilly and then drift into a deep sleep..?

Nah its considered really cruel
There has been horror stories where they are still alive.....just freezing really slowly hours later

It would be no different to putting you in the freezer. You would get extremely cold, quite painful and suffer miserably until you died. They are a warm blooded mammal exactly like us and so basically any method of killing them that is cruel to you is cruel to them.

if you grab them by the tail on a graspable surface (for them to grasp) and put a blunt object behind their head push down on the neck and pull the tail its dead really quick
This method is quite difficult once rats get to/over 200grams. They have nice strong, chunky necks by this stage and whacking or gassing is the only easy way. If you muck this method up it can be very stressful for the animal.

If you are new to this method then i would practice on a dead mouse first, just listen for the click/snap of the dislocation. If done correctly i think it is the most humane, efficient and quickest method.

good idea practicing on dead ones first womanator, when i get to that stage i think i'll use the neck snapping method,..

The whack method is probably the best all rounder as long as you give it the required amount of force the first time. If your old, feeble or feel you can't deliver the power needed for a large rodent stick it in a pillow case and swing that.

Pinks can be placed in the freezer. They go very quickly when cold. Older ones are best done with C02. A lot of ppl here are saying to whack them against something - you want to be confident that you can do it, as a miss would cause horrible pain.

the pillow case idea sounds good ... i think atleast that way i can garentee itll work ... cheers

a friend of mine used a white pillow case with a pinky mouse.... needless to say there wasnt much of the pinky left...

yeah - for grip/support hold their back legs and tail area....not to tightly and use either fingernail or finger (kind or roll the finger) pressure to just pop it - you don't need to much pressure with mice but more for rats

Okay, I'll give that a go. Thanks Bryony :)

Pinks can be placed in the freezer. They go very quickly when cold. Older ones are best done with C02. A lot of ppl here are saying to whack them against something - you want to be confident that you can do it, as a miss would cause horrible pain.

Of course, because slowly freezing to death would be a wonderful experience for them... :rolleyes:

It would be no different to putting you in the freezer. You would get extremely cold, quite painful and suffer miserably until you died. They are a warm blooded mammal exactly like us and so basically any method of killing them that is cruel to you is cruel to them.

Bloody great answer Womanator!!

And they deserve no more cruelty than your fellow man does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back