Cancer in Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salebrosus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am after some opinions from experienced herpers, those who have kept many animals and the same ones for more than a couple of years.
The story..........
About two months ago my beautiful Cape York python had her first bad shed. The scales did not come off around her head and they didn't seem to budge. It stressed her out to try and remove them either by placing her in a damp pillow case or other methods so after discussing with other keeprs, it was decided to wait for them to come off in the next shed.
The weather got a bit cool and she went off her food. I thought the temps in her enclosure were warm enough for her to still be eating but again, after discussing with other keepers we put it down to the time of year. She seemed to be ok but about 3 weeks ago i was looking at those scales that would not come off and noticed it was slightly gooey around her gums. I took her straight to the vet who gave me two different anti-biotics and she received two injections every two days.
Her mouth seemed to clear up but thsoe scales would not budge. The lower end of her body appeared a little limp like she had lost condition and this greatly worried me. I returned her to the vet for her recheck on Monday night who removed her scales but also became alarmed at the rapid deterioration of the snake. She put her on oxygen and on antibiotics. By Tuesday she barely had a heartbeat and died yesterday at 2pm. I was completely stunned that she could've gone from what appeared to be "not so bad" to dead. I also freaked that what if it was a virus, bacteria etc etc. We requested an autopsy and after hearing the report back from the vet-i'm not sure if i feel any better.
The snake had no visible signs of anything being wrong other than those scales that would not come off. No lumps, etc etc she appeared perfect. The last poo sample had a small dark green bit in it but everything else appeared ok....solid etc. She was also wormed etc.
When the vet looked down her oesophagus there were lumps all down her throat (again not visible on the outside) and when cut open her liver and pancreas were yellow, not red or pink and when touched they broke apart. The vet said it was lymphatic sarcoma- basically she died from leukaemia. Her blood samples were sent to Taronga and we have been told it will take a couple of months to receive the report back.
I'm wanting to know if any other keepers have experienced this in snakes. The vet said she has seen this before but it is not common. I'm also wanting to know if it is hereditary- if it is in humans could it be so in snakes?
My father and I are so fussy about hygiene, she was never unhealthy until this so i guess i'm just looking to see if other breeders have experienced this and if there were any symptoms that they picked up on that i may have missed. Losing this girl hurts a great deal- she was my second snake and we've had her for over 4 years. She was 6.5 years ol when she died. I got her around the 2 year old mark as a resuce from some one who had mistreated her.

Regards,

Simone.

yes, it is actually alot more common than your vet realises.
Ive seen a number of snakes die from leukaemia over the years.
sorry to hear simone.

Thanks Rob, i appreciate it. I never even considered that she had cancer, i figured i had buggered up with hygiene, done something wrong with my keeping of her. If she had noticable lumps or things like that then i would have noticed it but it leukaemia- it still stuns me.

Thanks again Rob,

Simone.

Thanks Moosey- it makes me feel sick to think of the pain she would've been in and how clueless i was to the fact that she had cancer. It never occurred to me that when i had her in my arms on Monday night that would be the last time i would hold her see her. I have some snakes that i don't really handle- but she was one that everyone bonded to.

Simone.

Oh Simone!
You poor chicken, its one of those things...until you have experienced it you don't know what to look for :( even then it would be hard to tell if a snake had leukemia without insisting blood tests from day one.
Chemotherapy for dogs is expensive, not sure how much it would be for snakes....have not even heard of anyone performing chemotherapy for snakes.

Sorry for your loss :(

sorry fro your loss Simone, i can imagine how upset you must be. :(

Thanks guys- i think what bothers me is the thought of her slowly dying from cancer. Next time i'll be a little more weary of this possibility.

Simone.

re Cancer

Sorry to hear about your loss Simone,really bad news.

Sorry to hear Simone, :(I know how you feel, to lose a pet is a sad event in anyones family. You did your very best to care for her and I hope you take comfort in knowing you did what you could, it sounds like she had a good life from the point she came to live with you.

Thanks everyone, i was going to have her cremated with Pets at Peace and put her into an urn, but i think i'll bring her home and bury her in her favourite spot in the yard. I'll be doing a collage of some of my fave pics of her and getting it framed with a little plaque instead.

Well while i'm still sitting here choked up and feeling miserable- i'll post some pics of the little mischeivous angel that she was.
This is one snake that was not just a snake she was a pet and a little joy to have.
Simone.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, i was going to have her cremated with Pets at Peace and put her into an urn, but i think i'll bring her home and bury her in her favourite spot in the yard. I'll be doing a collage of some of my fave pics of her and getting it framed with a little plaque instead.

Yeah, I'm not one for having your pet's ashes at home when that pet has just died. My mother kept the ashes from our first dog, and they were just a painful reminder. For months, I couldn't look at the urn without bursting into tears.

I like the collage idea. :D

Thanks for sharing the pics, your girl was beautiful.

Thansk Nick - I was so heartbroken i couldn't go into the reptile room last night. I didn't even want to look at any reptile last night so my Dad went in and checked on them for me last night. I am picking her up today to bring her home, so i can bury her.

Simone.

Last edited:
Oh my god Simone I'm soooo sorry to hear about your girl!!! I'm devastated for you as I know it's hard losing a pet that's close to you!
You've got me in tears :(
My thoughts and condolences are with you and your dad!

****** bigggggggg HUGGSSSSS *******

Take Care Simone

Warmest Regards,
Mell

that is so sad, you did the best you could and animals know that instinctively.

Something like cancer can come at any time and depending on its type it can move so quickly that you have to put it down to fate.

You did all the right things:
1. Hygene
2. Monitored the condition
3. Made changes as were necessary
4. Took her to the vet when you realised the problem was beyond your scope.

These things happen, and you can't torture yourself thinking of the if only's. Donate something to a wildlife charity in her honour, then you can feel something positive about the whole experience. One positive feeling is the first step to conquering grief.

I'll be feeling better once i pick her up from the vet when i finish work and bury her. I'm a bit of a sucker for the Wildlife Charities and things like that.
Thanks Mell and Kali,

Simone.

Many people are unable to afford to have their animal autopsied (especially if they have been paying expensive vet bills for awhile) so a lot of the time it probly goes unnoticed, like you said nothing was visible from the outside.

sorry if i'm repaeting what may have already been said in the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back