reptile course?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Herptrader

Leave the Herptrader out of it. Just because Herptrader allow a post does not mean they condone what he does. How do you think some sites pay for fees? It's called advertising.;)

Whether you like Raymond Hoser or not (and I'm not a big fan) he does give an informative talk.

Get a life. Gonna be fun when your learning to handle vens and get bitten, id rather avoid the loss of life or extreme sickness. Many other things do more damage (i.e. the pet industry!) So do you wanna be paid out for keeping animals? Think about it

I see a venomoid handling course as nothing but an expensive photo op, they have no place in training if you have a serious need to learn to handle vens.

Leave the Herptrader out of it. Just because Herptrader allow a post does not mean they condone what he does. How do you think some sites pay for fees? It's called advertising.;)

Too right!!!

As you have picked up by now the course offered by Raymond Hoser will probably be offered with venemoid snakes (i.e. elapids that have had their venom glands removed by surgery). This is a topic of GREAT contention in the herping world.

Run a search on this site for "Hoser" and you will probably find all the info you need. I sincerely hope this thread will remain somewhat credible and not turn into another unintelligent Hoser bashing thread as the others have.

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

As per usual this has turned into another Raymond Hoser bashingwhich the majority of the complaints are based on here say.
If you genuinely want to learn you will learn a great deal from Raymond and that will be alot more than his opposition will teach you.

I see a venomoid handling course as nothing but an expensive photo op, they have no place in training if you have a serious need to learn to handle vens.

This is by far the biggest issue.

When we conduct training courses involving venomous snakes, both Sharna and I are constantly assessing people, whether they realise it or not. We make notes of their comments, their actions, their reactions and their general attitude when interacting with elapids. There is no way you can assess whether someone has the ability to handle a venomous snake without witnessing it first hand. If all they are confronted with during the course is a harmless snake, they may aswell play Duck Duck Goose all day. It would be far more productive.

As I have stated earlier, the theory component of Rays courses would probably be worthwhile. However, the practical handling component would be pointless.

And no, Ray, I am not competing for business with you. I am only licences in QLD to conduct courses, and you are only licenced in Vic. In case you forgot...

Cheers

Jonno

As per usual this has turned into another Raymond Hoser bashingwhich the majority of the complaints are based on here say.
If you genuinely want to learn you will learn a great deal from Raymond and that will be alot more than his opposition will teach you.
From Raymond Hosers website smuggled.com re the venomoid op procedure in graphic detail
http://www.smuggled.com/VenArt1p.htm
Hear say?

that el be all folks

yeah thanks for the reply's thats all i need to know. thats cool we are all intitled to our own opinions thats what makes this site interesting. i still keep an open mind. there would be some advantage to what he dose and sure the guy has alot of knowlegde good luck to the person im sure he cops this a lot and probably would.nt fase him any way. i just like to get an insight befor i rush into something.
thanks steve

Playing around with a dopey tiger snake used to being wrapped around peoples necks is not going to teach anyone a thing about handling real venomous snakes that act very differently. You may aswell go play with a children's python.

No matter what he does i'm sure it's no worse than what urwin did...

Learn to spell buddy

Bit rude

No matter what he does i'm sure it's no worse than what urwin did...

Learn to spell buddy

If you look at your keyboard, I think you will find that the I and the U are on adjacent keys. There for I would suggest that it would prbably be a typo. Ever thought of that?;)

Just looked on Herptrader, if you go to other, there is ads there from Snake Handler, better still just go to their website.

I spose it would be interesting to know if anyone has done a hoser course and what they honestly thought of it, but in light of opinions on this site I dont think anyone would be game to admit they have done one!

I have actually done a couple of shows with Raymond at Ballarat a few years ago and I found him very knowledgible very helpful and I am more than happy to admit it.

Has any one attented his course

NO. Personally I wouldn't attend this "course" if he paid me money to attend. I find this whole venomoid situation an absolute disgrace and can't understand how the Victorian Authorities can allow reptiles to be butchered in this unnecessary, cruel and distasteful manner.

Playing around with a dopey tiger snake used to being wrapped around peoples necks is not going to teach anyone a thing about handling real venomous snakes that act very differently. You may aswell go play with a children's python.

You got it! spot on mate.

When i did my ven training (with a wildlife group) , we used the most recent WC snakes that had been removed from peoples yards, you cant get better then that- snakes that have only ever had absolute minimal interaction with humans.

donk

He does read this forum. I suggest people only state what they can prove, and you must realise that with all his court cases he has established defamation as a precedent and therefore it is better to defer personal opinions to private discussions.

However, I can say that a person's style of writing in published books, does divulge a lot about their character, regardless of the books content. In addition, how a person goes about divulging information, what they use as sources, and how they come to conclusions, tells you alot about integrity and ethics. Various psychology related pointers in written work also makes for a very interesting psychoanalytical diagnosis.

Also, the fact that animal cruelty was once performed, regardless of the fact that it is no longer performed is also an interesting character indicator.

These guys run accredited ven courses as well:

Sean and Stacey McCarthy
The Snakehandler Team
P.O Box 262
Hastings
Victoria, 3915
0419 38 24 14
0418 80 97 97

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts