do snakes shed at the same time?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richboy89

Reaction score
im hearing that a lot of peoples snakes are shedding this week. so i was wondering was that just luck or do snakes shed around the same time as eachother?
thanks

It seems that some snakes do! We have 5 snakes in seperate enclsoures and as a general rule there will be at least 2 snakes shedding or going into shed at the same time! Towards the start of the year our 6yr old diamond and our juvie maccie were shedding on the exact same days for about 4 months in a row!! That was spooky!!!

Cheers,
Mell :D

Thats right Greebo!! It's such a freaky coincidence when it happens!!
Especially when our 2 snakes were doing it pretty much every month!!
:D

yeah because i know 4 people with snakes and they all shed last week.

Could it be that these snakes are all on the same feeding/heating regime...?

If all of them are being fed at the same times and kept at the same temps then wouldn't it stand to reason they are also growing at a similar rate (relative to their size of course)? This would likely explain this 'phenomenon' ;)

Greebo wrote: Snakes do not compete in synchronised shedding. It is just coincidence.

Aslan wrote: Could it be that these snakes are all on the same feeding/heating regime...?

If all of them are being fed at the same times and kept at the same temps then wouldn't it stand to reason they are also growing at a similar rate (relative to their size of course)? This would likely explain this 'phenomenon'

I agree with both the above quotes from Greebo and Aslan. My snakes usually shed every 6 to 8 weeks, and are all usually fed the same day (except smaller ones that may be fed more frequently) so animals that are roughly the same size and age, that are fed similar sized prey animals, kept in same conditions would probably grow at similar rates and therefore shed at similar times. When you have more than 20 pythons this becomes apparent, but when you only have 2 it might seem some phenomena where Mulder and Scully need to be informed :lol:

Thats right Greebo!! It's such a freaky coincidence when it happens!!
Especially when our 2 snakes were doing it pretty much every month!!
:D

Yeah I have 6 that shed within two days of each other and have been for the past 18 months. T

I just got two babies... and guess what..... Gotta love those coincidences, they just keep on happening with monotonous regularity. But Wait, there is one snake that sheds in her own good time. Obviously that must prove the coincidence theory as one snake out of 9 doesn't get with the program. Oh, and they are no where near the same size, or have the same eating schedules.

Yeah I have 6 that shed within two days of each other and have been for the past 18 months. T

I just got two babies... and guess what..... Gotta love those coincidences, they just keep on happening with monotonous regularity. But Wait, there is one snake that sheds in her own good time. Obviously that must prove the coincidence theory as one snake out of 9 doesn't get with the program. Oh, and they are no where near the same size, or have the same eating schedules.

I am going to go sit in the corner with Kali on this one.

And I have quite a few more than one or two, on totally different feeding routines and ages/sizes.

I've found that coming into and out of the breeding season my bredli all seem to shed at roughly the same time.

I've noticed some degree of synchronised sloughing too. I don't think it's terribly surprising, they respond to all sorts of common environmental variables - cleaning and feeding days etc, as well as warm/cold/humid weather, and low and high air pressure. All of the weather variables affect the snakes at the same time and most of us are prone to feeding and cleaning several snakes on the same day.

i have three that will shed this week. something interesting i have 2 large carpet females that live together, about 2mths ago i they both began to shed same morning and same time. bit different figure it was just a coincidence.

my morelia shed within days of each other.... as do the antaresia.....

spooky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back