Lights Blowing Out

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spazza

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, we are having alot of trouble with our heat globes as they keep blowing out, it is all wired up correctly, we use ceramic fittings , any ideas what it could be...

do they get wet?
or do the reptiles knock them?
it might be easier to use a ceramic heat emitter, although more expensive they last alot longer.

Are you using them on a thermostat? having them go on and off all the time will make them blow prematurely. I've been there done that. I now use a lower wattage light that I can leave on rather than it going on and off.

had a lot of trouble last year with heat globes blowing all the time and the person i was buying them from told me that in winter you get more power surges , and this causes them to blow more often.
i don't know if its true or not just the sellers opinion
i swapped over to ceramics and haven't had the problem since

how many and how long do they last? i replaced one on the weekend, after 12 months and the replacement blew in 3 seconds! so i got another and its fine! could just be a couple of bad globes

i went threw heaps of the URS infrared ones and the lady in the shop said there no good alot of people have alot of troulbe with them

Crap heat globes?
I went through 3 heat globes in 2 months before I bought a heat emitter. More expensive but so much worth it. Hasn't blown in 2months (and am expecting it to last a much longer time than that) and it is so warm I can have it on for a less amount of time as it retains heat quite well.

Just a thought..

the heat globes that i use go for atleast 6 months.
and the ceramics go for 2 years.

and they both flick on and off a fair bit.

I got a bad globe which blew in a few hours aswell... i went back to the shop and they gave me a full refund because of the other people that bought them theres also blew. so yeah...

i went threw heaps of the URS infrared ones and the lady in the shop said there no good alot of people have alot of troulbe with them

Me too, i have tried those globes twice now and its put me off them for life.

I had alot of trouble a while ago then this current one lasted about 2 months but blew last night , i replaced it and 10 minutes later the new globe blew ,completely blew the bottom of the globe out, it is on a thermastat with a protective cage around it, doesnt get wet at all....

I am on my second ceramic heat globe after 3 and abit year, they really last a long time. For my accie cage the normal globes last about a month.

i have the same problems i was switching from day light to nightlight when the nightlight blew
lucky i had a spare nighttime light i put that1 in and bam it blew so i went to put the day time light in so they could atleast get some heat and bam it also blew? next day i bought 1 from a petshop a nonamer and the bloody thing blew up and shatterd everywere after only 2weeks of use.

the tank itself didnt shatter the globe that shatterd did leave glass in the tank.

yep... me too... nice to know it wasnt just me baby jesus hates with avengance
best investment was my ceramic heat emitter...very very happy with it!
i use the globes a little too during the day in winter.. its a big home!

thats bad as... i would have complained to the shop lol

i've given up on the buld designed for reptile use, too expensive and go through too many. i use philips spot one R80 they're tinted in blue and red come in screw in fitting and diff wattages and cost about $4 from Big W. funniest thing is the first one i used out lasted all of my previous reptile bulbs

i did. and the awesome dude sent me replacements.. still i lost money at the end of the day... but as long as i have found a better way, that few bucks dont multiply and i am happy

How expensive is a heat emitter, I use 100 watt globes now and it gets so frustrating when they blow all the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back