Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sxc_celly, you're over reacting, once again.
that is NOT what we are talking about.
and even if it was, cats and dogs are an introduced species and are a "pest" (when not contained and trained) it's simply NOT natural that they are even here.

it's nice that you feel strongly about this issue, but it's not nice that you start judging people as "un Australian" because they don't follow your views (on this issue).

and AGAIN, this isn't about trapping a cat or dog within their own yards, once out of said yard, and in MINE, I am within my rights to protect my animals, there should be just as strict controls on other pets, as there are natives.

As far as the typical cat owner views goes, MoreliaMatt.. It seems to me it is the same as any other pet owners view. For uni we tracked down a bunch of dogs that get out at nght and kill other dogs/cats/birds/possums verything... When the uni people went to the owners houses they said "oh but my dog never goes outside". Just because you've never seen dogs kill anything or escape, it does not mean they don't do it. I realise that my cat probably does kill stuff, but it's minimal compared to what cars and people do. So why should it matter? Cats evolved to kill stuff. Same as dogs. They will both do it if they can, and power to them. Flame away.

Actually perhaps I over simplified that. I's not quite so black and white. My point is cats aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Foxes toads and rabbits are responsible for animal declines and extinctions to a MUCH greater extent.

there is a tomcat that a neighbour owns(but never contains) that i would have no problem knocking out and feeding to a big python.... i hate the thing

Several surveys have been done. A cat kills ON AVERAGE 14 native species EVERY DAY. Cats and dogs and pigs and goats are not natives. I would never kill anyone's pet, but just like people eat cows, our reptiles should certainly be entitled to eat anything not native to this country.

Several surveys have been done. A cat kills ON AVERAGE 14 native species EVERY DAY. Cats and dogs and pigs and goats are not natives. I would never kill anyone's pet, but just like people eat cows, our reptiles should certainly be entitled to eat anything not native to this country.

That's a lot, and I find that hard to believe. Where would I find one of these surveys? I'd be very interested to read one.

A cat killing 14 things a day is a complete load. Cat's don't kill for pleasure (mostly) they kill for food. They don't eat that much. I'd be curious as to where your survey came from.

A cat killing 14 things a day is a complete load. Cat's don't kill for pleasure (mostly) they kill for food. They don't eat that much. I'd be curious as to where your survey came from.

Yes they do!!! any cat i ever met takes dead animals and just leaves them at the door as a "gift" or whatever. almost every time i visit my mother there is a fresh killed lizard near the door. drives me mad

that's where it gets tricky Tn, unless you follow your cat every day, you have no idea.
considering a LOT of cats are allowed to free roam, I'd assume they do hunt a lot of their time, it's in their nature.

philK, that simplistic view isn't even worth rebutting... there are a great deal many reasons why we can't simply let some animals kill willy nilly, the foremost being, they have no natural predators , thus their numbers won't be controlled by the ecosystem.

it's that exact reason that rabbits were treated to biological warfare.
the toll on the natural order was devastating.

Cat's don't kill for pleasure (mostly) they kill for food.
what?? hahahahaha dude, that's so laughable!
of COURSE they do... *sigh*

I've owned something like 4 cats since i was a little fella, so lets say 18 years. There is not a chance in hell that they kill that many a day. 'Gifts' are given very very occasionally. Largely, cats do not kill for pleasure, unlike.. say... dogs.

Let me ask you people this. Would you feed central blue tongues and pygmy bearded dragons, and knobtail geckos to your snake? Didnt think so. Just because some sickos out there eat cats and dogs.. doesnt mean we have to, nor our snakes. No true blue aussie would. So honestly get your minds out the gutter please people, cats are friends/pets, not food.

how can you compare dragons geckos etc to a cat????? think wildlife not pets. reptiles are an important part of native wildlife... cats destroy local wildlife. why the hell would you do that comparison?

that's where it gets tricky Tn, unless you follow your cat every day, you have no idea.

I don't follow her every day, she's kept inside and is lucky to catch two or three roaches a week.

But I'm with Phil, that stuff is nonsense and in my opinion, a statement like that shouldn't be made with evidence to back it up. Of course, I have been wrong before, and if Kali comes up with the evidence and it is appropriate, then will I believe it.

I'm telling you you're wrong Reacharge. It's not part of their nature. Also, notice that i said "largely" meaning "mostly" meaning that yes, there are exceptions.

Nobody get me wrong, I'm not happy cats kill things, I'm just saying people need to realise that other things are equally responsbiel for native animals being killed. I dunno, let's take a stab in the dark and say... roads... cars.. dogs.. toads.. rabbits... And yeah, cats. I'm not saying cats don't, I'm saying get over it

I am just waiting for somebody take the extra step and cross the line in this topic.
It always happens.
Yep, probably would have been me! I just got back from suspension AGAIN today, i,m outta here!
PS Hello again everyone...:D

re feeding

LOL my brother had a burmese cat near wollongong,ide find all these bodys of sugar gliders and ring tailed possums under his pole house as well dryed up snakes of various species.He said in its defence that it was gummy anbd didnt do stuff all till it brought a sugarglider in the house.The animals ive seen cats catch is more than most would put up with,broad headed snakes,golden crowns (heaps),marsh snakes,baby blueys etc.

from http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ockham/stories/s64308.htm

Cats are a problem. Cats share with mankind the dubious distinction of killing for fun. Cats hunt by instinct. In Australia, cats are known to feed on more than 347 native species: that's 186 species of birds, 64 mammals, 86 reptiles, at least 10 amphibians and numerous invertebrates. We know that feral cats are a problem but there is little point in targeting feral cats and leaving domestic cats uncontrolled. A domestic cat will hunt and kill no matter how well fed it is. One study estimated that on average each pet cat kills 32 vertebrates each year.

so the majority of cats don't kill for fun eh? sorry, but the professionals disagree with you.

http://www.petnet.com.au/reark/reark.html
yet another link.

how many do you need?

32 a year sounds about right, not 14 a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back