Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After hearing what Brian Barnett said the other week I've relaxed a little on my free-handling attitude in regards to vens. That said my first real experience with a ven being handled like a python was a speckled brown snake, I've also done the same with a red bellied black and on numerous times have seen various tiger snakes freehandled without drama by their keepers - even a death adder! :shock: I suppose it's whether you feel up to a week or two in the ICU? Too easy to become complacent with these animals IMHO - as Brian said 99.99% of the time they won't bite, but that .01% where they do will be the worst percentage you'll ever wish to experience!

There are a few members I know of on here who have had run-ins with elapids and have said in no uncertain terms that it is a very unpleasant experience - and funnily enough feel quite embarrassed about it.

Sure it's only a Golden Crown, but it's a ill temperered Golden Crown with friggin Lazers......................

Last edited:
That GC is awsome..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmole mole :lol:

Would so love to check out some of your snakes Shane. I won't be wanting to touch them but seeing them would be great.

Simone.

Anytime you want Simone. There's not that much to see, but your welcome anytime.

The funny thing is Jason, as you'd know, he thinks his place is boring. I dont know anyone who's been there and not walked out amazed.

Rex Neindorf (Alice Springs Reptile Centre) has a Collett's snake which he free-handles - or he did when I saw him do it last year. I had a "dude, you forgot your snake hook!" panic attack. :shock:

you'll need good eye sight now Simone! You could of asked a month ago!

I know, i'll be back sooner than i thought though.
Will be going herping this weekend- first herping expedition since i got here. Not even sure where to begin. The long grass at the back of my place isn't too inviting. I have a python with me that is rejecting it's feeds so rather than waste the dead rat i am chucking it out at the edge of the long grass and it doesn't last long at all.

That would be awesome Shane-will PM you when I'm back in Sydney for a visit or to stay permanently. Thanks a million.

Simone.

If one pays tax, pays health insurance, does not seek publicity if one gets bitten, takes full responsibility for free handling vens, accept the possibility of grevious injury or death, then all the negative opinions from all the conservatives and "wiser than thous" are utterly irrelevant.

I object far more strongly to individuals telling others what they can or can't do. Don't like it, don't do it. Simple.

Ride that bike, freefall off a high mountain top, climb that slope, risk getting bitten. Accept responsibility. IMO it is not the risk takers that are litigatious or blame-mongers, but rather those that must live in a confined space with confining rules. Go play god within your own space, leave mine and like minded people's alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back