Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be my last comment on this thread (hopefully). Only an idiot would want to be bitten by a dangerous snake. If someone freehandles dangerous snakes they have to be fully prepared for the fact that they WILL spend some time in hospital at some stage of their life. Having said that, i've got a mate that freehandles elapids and has done his whole life. From about age 12 to now 36. Thats over twenty years freehandling. Never in public. And i'm talking about all of them, Adders, Browns, thru to Coastal and Inland Taipans.On a daily basis. In that time he has been to hospital three times for anti-venom. Now, i know of individuals working in zoo's, reptile parks and venom places that have been hospitalised more times than that even with all their safety precautions. Like anything there's a skill to it. Theres always going to be idiots try and do it that arent capable. They dont last in the elapid game too long. And finally, i dont believe that licenced keepers being bitten threatens peoples right to keep dangerous elapids. That will come when a member of the public is bitten by an escapee. JMO

It seems to be an assumption in this thread that if you are bitten, all you need is some antivenom and you will be fine a couple of days later. It does not work that way. Even with antivenom therapy snakebites carry a significant risk of long term complications, allergic reactions, serum sickness, kidney damage etc.

The risk of an allergic reaction to venom, or more commonly antivenom needs to be taken into acount for all keepers, particularly long-term keepers. A common assumption is the only way you can become exposed to venom is through milking snakes, or through previous snakebites. Again, this isn't at all correct. Pretty much every time you come into contact with a venomous snake you are coming into contact with dried venom which can lead to severe, life threatening allergic reactions at a later date if you are bitten. Whether this be through cleaning dried venom off the glass front of a cage that a snake has struck at, or through the handling of bitten, yet refused food items.

Basically the moral of the story is don't get bitten.

I knew this thread was going to get good. ;) Took a while :lol: And when my tiger had a chew on me and I made the trip to the hospital (turned out to be a dry bite & wasn't related to free handling) most of the nurses weren't impressed and didn't think of me as a hero. (although the doctor took the chance to teach the newer nurses what to do in reguards to snakebites) There were two nurses however that were interested in the fact I was a keeper, one asked if I knew anyone selling a female beardy and the other told me about her pet coastal python;):lol:

I knew this thread was going to get good. ;) Took a while :lol: And when my tiger had a chew on me and I made the trip to the hospital (turned out to be a dry bite & wasn't related to free handling) most of the nurses weren't impressed and didn't think of me as a hero. (although the doctor took the chance to teach the newer nurses what to do in reguards to snakebites) There were two nurses however that were interested in the fact I was a keeper, one asked if I knew anyone selling a female beardy and the other told me about her pet coastal python;):lol:

that's not right. You should have been signing autographs for them because they love a bit of change :lol: :)

;):pI would have been signing autographs, but I left home without remember all the photos I left behind of my free handling elapids :rolleyes: ah well. Next time ;) Since they got so much antivenom there :lol:

(take none of the above seriously ;))

Its not a matter of IF someone gets bitten, its WHEN.

How many times have the people that free handle their elapids been bitten??????? At least once

ahhh it was a dry bite...:lol: Nah I'm just kidding ;) But it is a bit of a dead end argument any way you go because every time some says somthing like 'when free handling its not a matter of if its a matter of when' doesn't that count for owning elapids full stop? just having them in you house creates that risk. Handling increases that risk. Feeding increases that risk. Cleaning the enclosure increases that risk. Free handling increases that risk. Force feeding/assist shedding increases that risk. Getting bite is a risk elapid keepers are taking reguardless of wether they free handle or not. Not that I am a supporter of free handling. Nor do I care what people do in their own homes (within law.)
;););) Now I'm going to get blasted by someone...question is who? :lol:

lets put some more petrol on the fire eh?
We dont need to worry about loosing our lic! Not when we have Hoser fighting for us!!!!!

God...I can't believe I just said that :?:p:?:p

Its not a matter of IF someone gets bitten, its WHEN.

How many times have the people that free handle their elapids been bitten??????? At least once
I've been waiting for it for just on thirty years now. This same old line gets wheeled out every time a thread like this starts up.

venomous

i reckon one of the best ways to make people see sense is to show them the evidence from other peoples bites, and to read about the on-going problems those people can have!
does anyone remember a link to a site showing photos of a young guy who got bitten by a rattler i think it was (i know its not aussie but its still important!)
they showed a series of photos from when he got bittewn and followed it through his treatments over many months. they were horrific pictures and it certainly opened my eyes a bit to the consequences and risks associated with something like that. i'll see if i can find the link and post it later.

thanks everyone for your input, but i didnt start this thread to hear opinions and politics. i wanted to know who handles , not who is too scared to handle and try and justify it by whinging about the dangers. each to their own , if i die i will die doing what i love....................................hows that for fuel to the fire m punja. hahahahahahaha. i love contraversy

i would just like to say that i dont think that most people would free handle to try and be mucho,i myself own a black tiger and free handle him regularly but not to brag,act tough or other,only do in private when home by myself, no spectators,no pictures,just for the sheer love of my elapid;)

i would just like to say that i dont think that most people would free handle to try and be mucho,i myself own a black tiger and free handle him regularly but not to brag,act tough or other,only do in private when home by myself, no spectators,no pictures,just for the sheer love of my elapid;)
Well said Trevor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back