defrosting mice ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeman 93

Reaction score
Hi guys I was wondering how you defrost your mice and how long you have to defrost them for
cheers

I put my fuzzies into a container of hot water, it takes maybe 5 mins (?) then when they are defrosted I put them in a paper towel, but I dont dry them completely, just leave them a little damp and warm - make sense? :)

i put my mice&rats in hot water,then leave em in there for 5 mins take them out and dry them off with abit of paper towl,done!

Last edited:
I defrost them in warm water from the tap, and don't use a certain time. I go by wether or not they feel still cold.
But I have heard some people say don't soak them and I would like to no the reason for this, as some people use the hot water but keep them in a plastic bag so they dont get wet.
I figure they get hydrated as well. maybe others don't trust the water because it may contain impurities.

I put them in plastic bags, mainly because it means they're not really wet afterwards and it's pretty gross when they're just in the water! They still do get a bit wet (defrosting you'd expect they might...?). Also i then transport the rat to the container in the bag.

I defrost them in warm water from the tap, and don't use a certain time. I go by wether or not they feel still cold.
But I have heard some people say don't soak them and I would like to no the reason for this, as some people use the hot water but keep them in a plastic bag so they dont get wet.
I figure they get hydrated as well. maybe others don't trust the water because it may contain impurities.

I defrost mine in warm water - the reason I have read for not using the water is that it can dilute the scent...

I am going to try it tomorrow with a fussy feeder and see if he is more inclined to eat one that hasn't been soaked...

Plasic bag into a container of hot water for about 10 minutes, they come out perfect and warm.

put them in the microwave they make a nice popping noise at about 11 seconds.:D

i put mine in a plastic bag and leave them for afew hours then warm it by runnin under hot water then it comes out warm and dry.

For the larger sized rodents i leave them out overnight and by the morning they are ready to use. I just make sure they have thawed through all the way and are at room temperature.

For the smaller sizes i soak them in hot water until they're thawed( usually 5--10 mins). I dont keep the rodents in bags when i soak them. I prefer the rodents to be wet. It adds to hydrating the snake and also brings out the scent of the rodent.

I always remove the frozen mice the day before and place them into a plastic lunch bag ..then place the lunch bag into a plastic container..I then place the whole lot into the fridge to defrost overnight....the next day i remove it from the fridge and pour hot water into the container ..leaving the plastic bag with the mouse to warm....I try to get the mouse to a temperature of what it would be naturally.....hope this helps...

A Newby:)

chrisek said:
put them in the microwave they make a nice popping noise at about 11 seconds.
Hehe..that's from personal experience isn't it? :p
I usually learn the hard way but luckily haven't for this. :)
I've threatened my house mates with defrosting my snake food directly in the sink but I haven't yet. Although I would love to be taping it when they came in to cook dinner and freaked out. hehe.
I defrost in a designated bowl of hot water and dry on a designated snake towel. Easy peesy.

i just put mine in alfoil or glad wrap on the bench for a few hours until its room temp or i remember that id got them out earlier. then feed

defrostin

just takin em out of the freezer than chuck em in the container and leave them overnight and then there you go

Microwave

I put mine in the microwave on high setting for 10 minutes.

JOKING - No I don't. I'm normal like everyone else. Hot tap water for a few minutes or if large rats maybe a water change at half time;)

i put boiling water (from the kettle) in 1 cup then put a empty cup inside the cup with boiling water then put the mouse in the empty cup and place another cup of boiling water ontop of the mouse, All cups have to be the same size for it to work

The main problem with the hot water method is that you are producing an optimum temperature for bacteria growth for a period o time which starts the bugs up then often putting them into another warm environment where the bugs can keep growing. not really a prob if eaten immediately but if left overnight? I always feed mine fresh so i don't really pick sides but its an interesting debate. If i ever do it id probably defrost in the fridge overnight, the coolness retards bacteria growth, then sit at room temp for a little bit before feeding immediately. for those who like the extra hydration of using water maybe just dunk em before feeding or inject water into preys tummy?
Anyhow its a fun debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back