Guy at SA Venom Supplies Bitten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rodentrancher

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just heard tail end of a news item on ABC Radio. A guy at SA Venom Supplies bitten by a Venomous Snake. Didn't hear what type of snake it was. Exotic was mentioned though. Wish I had been listening properly. Cheers Cheryl

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22132358-2682,00.html

AN EMPLOYEE at an anti-venom development company in the Riverland has been bitten by an exotic snake and taken to hospital in a serious condition.
It is believed the man was bitten on the arm while "milking" a venomous snake at Venom Supplies, Tanunda, about 2.50pm.
Company owner Peter Mirtschin confirmed a male employee had been bitten and was given anti–venom before being taken to Tanunda Hospital.
The company keeps more than 400 snakes from all over the world – every one of them is venomous.
They are all milked for their venom and after being freeze–dried, the venom is sent to research units to be made into anti–venom

Thats not good news :( Lets all keep our fingers crossed that he is ok and has no serious long tem effects.

Donk

Even though I know nothing about the effects of venom or which snake it was, I'd say he has a great chance of a full recovery. He would of had the anti-venom in his system within 10 minutes I say. But yes, fingers crossed..

this is way off topic but how hard is it to get into venom supplies as a profession? is it an alright paying job? im guessing it wouldn't be otherwise many would be doing it!

It's bound to happen eventually.. I wonder if the hospitals would be better equipped if it was a native.. Hmm..
Hope he hasn't got any long lasting damage.

It's bound to happen eventually.. I wonder if the hospitals would be better equipped if it was a native.. Hmm..
Hope he hasn't got any long lasting damage.

I does not make any differance at all if it is native or not, Venom supplies would have all the antivenom they need for whatever species was being milked.

It does make alot of a difference....there is less exotic species specific antivenom in the country for a start. Very few doctors have treated snakebite, let alone exotic snake bite previously, the antivenom in some cases can be of a lesser standard meaning an increased risk of side effects and so on....

this is way off topic but how hard is it to get into venom supplies as a profession? is it an alright paying job? im guessing it wouldn't be otherwise many would be doing it!

Depends on what you mean by hard. A medical or biomedical degree in toxicology would be a good entry point.

It would also depend on whether you wanted to be a technician or a researcher. You need doctorate qualifications for the latter, and it would be a harder field to enter if you only had the former.

Technicians don't earn much, and doctors wages vary.

It does make alot of a difference....there is less exotic species specific antivenom in the country for a start. Very few doctors have treated snakebite, let alone exotic snake bite previously, the antivenom in some cases can be of a lesser standard meaning an increased risk of side effects and so on....

Can you explain for me why you think that Venom supplies does not have enough antivenom for a single bite from a species that they milk on a regular basis and why it is of a lesser standard (and lesser standed compared to what).

Im not having a go, just trying to understand your statement.

cheers

donk

I heard on the news it was a Mexican Cantle??? Not sure if i heard right.

it was his first experience of milking a snake for venom.......

I did not say that they don't have enough antivenom, what i'm saying is that in Australia there are limited supplies of exotic antivenom. Often the only institutions that hold exotic antivenoms are the places where venomous exotic snakes are kept. Its not as easy as walking into a hospital and saying you need Mamba Antivenom. As far as i'm aware there isn't actually any mamba antivenom in Australia as none are kept in legally in the country. For example, the last exotic bite that occured at a zoo in Australia ended up using up all the Crofab Rattlesnake antivenom in the country. This prevented any rattlesnakes in zoos in Australia from being cleaned / fed / having the cage door opened until there was more antivenom for this species in the country.

All antivenom for exotic species needs to be sourced from overseas, and is almost always manufactured in the country where the snake is native too. Eg Rattlesnake antivenom is made in America, King Cobra antivenom is made in Thailand etc. Because of this and slight differences in the process of antivenom manufacturing this can lead to side effects upon administration of the antivenom.

My statement about possible side effects was based upon a comparison of some exotic antivenoms compared to that of Australia. We are lucky that our antivenoms are relatively 'clean' reducing the risk of side effects however that risk is always there. Same applies to any foreign protein based substance being injected into a human.

Exotic bites often also present different symptoms to that of natives...do a google search for rattlesnake, viper or cobra bites and you'll see what i mean.

This, combined with most doctors inexperience of treating exotic snake bites makes it a bit of a different situation than it would be if it was the bite of a native species.

Hope this has cleared some things up.

I think Donk was referring moreso to the fact that if the snake was at venom supplies, it would of been there for the purpose of milking for anti-venom production, therefore the necessary anti-venom would be produced by them and not be inferior to native anti-venoms since its production would be the same as for the Aussie elapids.

yes it was a mexican cantle that got him on the finger when trying to milk his first snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back