Kimberley Endemics Episode III

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Welcome to episode III of the kimberley endemic series. One of the most annoying groups of snakes would have to be the blind snakes. Catching them is pot luck. You occasionally get them in pitfall traps, but it usually has to rain for them to be out. You can find them turning rocks, but it's usually very rare to find them under stone (it is where I've been surveying anyway). Then, when you've secured the animal, it's a painful process of squinting through a handlense counting mid body scale rows and examining clefts in nasal scales to correctly identify the species.

Here's one we got in a pitfall trap. Ramphotyphlops kimberleyensis is limited to the subhumid north and west Kimberley region, as well as an isolated population in NT, so not strictly endemic to the Kimberley.... I hope noone minds ;)

DSCN4998.jpg

DSCN5006.jpg

DSCN4929.jpg

Look out for episode IV.... coming soon.

-H

Well done, you must be very patient.
Those are some great photos of some very rarely seen snakes, thanks for sharing! (I like the 2nd best)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back