My New Centipede (Hornet Please Look)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all, jack from this site found a centipede in his firewood and posted it to me as I wanted one (thanks Jack) and this morning he arrived safe and sound. Thought I'd post some photos of him. He's in a tank with cocopeat substrate and sphagnum moss with a big rock. For these photos I took the rock out. The quality isn't great as he's only a little fella but you get the idea! I love him hahaha but can't find any prey items small enough for him.

If anyone can tell me (roughly) what type he is and what size he'll get to that'd be great!

Attachments

• Gizmo 009.jpg
    Gizmo 009.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Gizmo 010.jpg
    Gizmo 010.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Gizmo 013.jpg
    Gizmo 013.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 126
try and get a closeup on white paper

OK I finally chased him down. He was not keen at all hahahaha and yes they are quick. Or at least this one is. Managed to get some photos against a white background but the camera really is terrible, so sorry for the quality. It's a challenge, hornet;)!

And I probably could handle him but he might bite and that'd hurt. Not to mention he's so little and quick I'd soon crush/lose him.

Attachments

• Gizmo1 014.jpg
    Gizmo1 014.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Gizmo1 016.jpg
    Gizmo1 016.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Gizmo1 017.jpg
    Gizmo1 017.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 105
try baby or small crickets.. baby crickets are so small you could fit hunderds on one finger.. they are tiny he will be able to eat them (if they eat crickets)

I dunno if it could. I noticed the other day that my petshop got some "extra small" crickets in and they look like prime candidates for him so I'll pay a visit tomorrow before splendour. Are they good at hunting things down? I'll try and find it little spiders etc around the house. The smallest of my large crickets is too big for it either way. He's so cute! I want some more of them hahaha (hopefully they prove to be more active than Ts and scorps)

EDIT: beat me to it

i wouldnt bother with crix, i had the best sucess with mealworms

just feed them meal worms ,and keep them moist as they will die if they dry out

See if your camera has a macro function. Look for a Flower symbol or something.
You may think your camera is crap, but the macro function works a treat.

Back on topic, do they eat veggies, or are they 100% carnivorous?

100% carnivores, can you get a head shot?

He's eaten alot of small crickets, is excavating a ditch and is kept nice and moist. My camera has a macro function, and I was using it for the above photos. Headshot is pretty much impossible. I might try when he's a little bigger! How big do Aussie centipedes get?

Around brisbane i dont think they get any bigger than about 200mm(most are smaller) but it would depend on the species. smallest i have seen was about 8mm

My mum has those roaming around her house all the time!! They are a pest to her...Shame your in Brissy you could take them off her hands

A pest? They eat all the other bugs! Hahaha that's like calling spiders pests. Cockroaches are pests.. Spiders/centipedes etc are natural pesticides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back