Gravid Beardie - assistance required please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angel_saza

Reaction score
My friend has just found out that her yellow phase female inland beardie is gravid! I'm so excited. Im sure there's loads of people out there that have successfully raised a clutch before so some help wouldn't go a-stray.

Now, either i haven't made myself very clear or all the expert breadie breeders haven't been online yet..

Just wondering what sort of 'nest' to offer my female when she's ready to lay. As far as i've read, a deep (12 inch) container with a mix of sand and soil. Also, what's a good incubator set up?

Angel Saza - Unfortunately I can't be much help except to say that there have been a few good threads recently regarding people new to Beardie breeding seeking advice...if you do a quick search you should also find a HEAP of basic incubator setups...

...basically for an incubator you will want an old esky or fridge. You then wire it with some heat cord around the walls and a dimming type thermostat which maintains approx. 31.5c...

Beardies like to dig deep to lay, so use a tub as deep as you can. In one of these pics I have done away with the tub and filled the back corner of my enclosure with a moist sand / soil mix as the female was not too happy with the laying arrangement. When she start pacing the enclosure, digging around, she is ready to lay, though she will hold the eggs till the last minute if she cannot find a suitable nest site, this needs to be avoided at all costs. Incubators can be made from eskies & fridges, with a heat cord or two, thermostat and a 12v fan from Tandy or the like.

Attachments

• Beardielaying2.jpg
    Beardielaying2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Beardielaying.jpg
    Beardielaying.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 63
Very cute photos.

What sort of thermostat is recommended for a heat cord? Also, what size heat cord is best? I was thinkin maybe a 4 or 4.3mt cord for a average sized esky. Is a fan a necessity?

Should the 'nest box' be put in now or when she's starting to get bigger? She's only just showing a few tiny little lumps. This is also her first clutch. Has been with a male all her life, but this is the first time they've bred. Naughty little devils...:evil:

The eggs form soft inside her, by the time you can feel them through her skin, she should lay roughly within two weeks. Most females go off their food, then with search around the enclosure, I can pretty much pick within a day or two when they will lay, but it won't hurt to put a tub in early, she may do some test digging in the days before she lays the eggs. Make sure you feed her heaps of insects whist she is gravid as she will have the next lot of eggs on the way before she lays the first lot, they can lay multiple clutches in as little as 20 days apart from one mating if fed well and in good condition.
Heat cord length depends on the size of your enclosure, but you would not need a long one for an esky, and any decent probe thermo will do for beardies, though a dimming one would probably be the pick for a incubator.

A fan shouldn't be necessary for a standard esky - if the temps are constant throughout with no warm or cool spots then you won't need a fan...

I would be using a dimming thermostat - they maintain the most constant temps...and a 4 or 4.3m cord should suffice...

Hello

Hello,

Just wondering how things were going? Are you giving plenty of fluids, extra food & calcium as well?
Good luck! Let us know what is going on with her. Thanks!:D

Tracie

Well it's not my beardie, but i spoke to my friend on thursday and the lizard is doing fine.. eating plenty of food :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back